Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you carry on your webbing/smock?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no. just smock.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
      "Welcome to our newest member, Search Function"
      I hear he is feeling used...

Right bitches,this is how it works.

Admin in the field is something that should be taught by a units NCOs according to Unit SOPs and best practice. In the South, BTC(S) regularly come up with an updated list of what to carry,and where,based on experiences learnt from those returning from overseas operations. East Timor,for example was a massive learning curve for the DF,who up to then had never been involved in Modern long range patrolling at platoon level.

So they come up with a list,its circulated to the PDF units in the Brigade. RDF units send people on courses instructed by members of these pdf units,who in turn share this list with RDF. The RDF people then go back to their units with this new list,which is in turn shared with all interested individuals.

I am curious why stameen feels the need to ask this question on a message board like this,when he could ask any number of NCOs,and officers for the up to date list.

Meanwhile,as Kermit says,there is a layout in TM201,as well as a section in the new TAMs

Both of these documents are marked Restricted..

can anyone tell me what that means?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

i carry a mess tin 2 mars bars a galaxy and a packet of tayto in my kidney pouch then carry 2 litres of lucozade in me water bottle me mags with rounds and shit and my chemical warefare suit, tell my what more do ya really need oh yeah its the flat lucozade sport stuff its about 2 euro a bottle thats madness

Comment

Jaysus,

Again with the "RESTRICTED" ...I think the guy was just looking for a few ideas and some input on where to place his equipment.

I'm sure he has received instruction at his unit, but, as we all know, there's plenty of ways to skin a cat, and there are members on this board who maybe would have a different take on gear placement.

I'm with Delta on this one...there's no reason to classify info about carrying extra canteens and a stripped ration pack a friggin' secret !!!

My 02 cents worth.

Later.
          No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

Originally posted by strummer
            Jaysus,

Again with the "RESTRICTED" ...I think the guy was just looking for a few ideas and some input on where to place his equipment.

Later.
            The information is not restricted,the source is.

Its not a question of ideas,suggestions input or guesses.

There is already best practice for carrying such equipment,and it is available to those who ask at unit level.

Its when RDF people show up on an exercise with 3 ammo pouches(full of sandwiches),6 water bottles, a chest rig and camelback that the problems start.

And then you have the people who suggest that their NCOs are not teaching the correct layout because they saw a post on www.military.com by some Former Legionaire who swore by carrying all his kit in a dunnes stores bag with a carrying handle around each of his ears...

I kid you not.

Do whatever your unit tells you.

Comment

Id just like to show up for an exercise with webbing other then 58 pattern...

Comment

If everyone else is using 58,whats the point?

Comment

From the aforementioned search:

What to carry in your smock? (includes CEMO & CEFO)

From Connect in Feb 2004, aimed at PDF Std NCOs Course

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket
                    Any NCO doing that will be committing an offence of passing on restricted information, and hopefully wouldn't be that stupid.

Get official information through official channels. This board is certainly not for organising the obtaining of improper information.

Let this be the end of it..please?

Comment

• The suggested ARW selection course kit list (published in Connect Oct 2003) lists the following:

Smock:
                      Top Left Pocket: Chinagraph pencils, compass, tac-aid, torch, waterproof markers, whistle.
                      Bottom Left Pocket: Bush hat, fingerless gloves.
                      Left Arm Pocket: FFD*.
                      Bottom Right Pocket: Laminated map, tissues*.
                      Top Right Pocket: Survival tin, high-carb food*, lighter*, spoon.

Bergen:
                      Outside Top Pocket: high-carb food*.
                      Inside Top Pocket: 2 bungees, 6 tent pegs, hygiene kit*, toothbrush*, toothpaste*, medi-wipes*.
                      Under The Lid: Roll mat.
                      Main Pack (packed in order of priority):
                      • (Top) 2 litres of water, 24 hour rations*.
                      • (Middle) 2 pairs of socks*, 1 pair of jocks*, 1 pair of gore-tex socks*, 1 light combat trousers*.
                      • (Bottom) Basha, sleeping bag*, bivvy bag*, heavy-duty waterproof bag.

Left Rocket Pouch: Fleece jacket*, Norge*, Thermal top*, Thermal bottom*, Waterproof jacket*, Waterproof trousers*.
                      Right Rocket Pouch: First-aid kit*, 1 pair of socks*, Peltors*, Model aid kit*, 24 hours rations*, 2 sandbags.
                      Front Pocket: Entrenching tool.

Belt Order:
                      Taped to left side of yoke: FFD*.
                      Left Ammo Pouch: 4 magazines.
                      Waterbottle Pouch: Water bottle.
                      Bayonet Holder: Bayonet.
                      Utility Pouch: 24 hour rations*, hexi cooker & tabs*, metal mug, spoon.
                      Utility Pouch: Gloves*, wool hat*, neck scarf*.
                      Utility Pouch: All weather matches*, cam cream, forest goggles, gaffa tape, mozzie net*, bug spray, para cord, seccateurs, space blanket*, spare batteries*, spare lighter*, puri-tabs*, weapon cleaning kit.
                      Waterbottle Pouch: Water bottle.
                      Right Ammo Pouch: 4 magazines.

Other Kit Listed:
                      Personal Knife: Swiss army or multi-tool type.
                      Pace Counter.
                      Helmet.

* = in a zip-locked bag.
                      "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• Then again...thats arw selection...not RDF 24 hour exercises(unless it rains,and we return to barracks cos nobody has raingear)

Comment

• The article on admin in the field on the PDF Standard NCO's course, as written by Sgt Mick Smith from the NCO Training Wing (published in Connect Feb 2004) has this to say:

Smock/Pockets:
                          Field Dressing with a pair of surgical gloves, waterproofed. Camouflage cream, mirror and a universal tool/knife should be carried. Two torches are needed: a right-angled type with filters and a lightweight one, both with spare batteries taped to them. You will need a superfine mosquito net as well as insect repellent and light gloves, which should all be stored together. Para cord: you will need a large amount. Remember if you put it up, remember to take it down again. Tac Aide: to include sentry rosters & contact reports, ammo casualty state to be carried on the person. Carry a minimum of two compasses with luminous strips, whistle & spare lighter, carried on cord, and a small set of binos. Documentation: maps, aerial photos, notebook (all waterproofed), permanent pen, pencils and casualty cards. Small housewife and survival kit: Contains small sewing kit and emergency first kit (including space blanket).

Bergen:
                          Sleeping System: consisting of a sleeping bag, kip mat, bivvy bag and basha, is usually placed at the base of the main pack. Consider stuffing your sleeping bag into the bivvy bag. Roll your basha around your kip mat and attach to the top of your bergen. You can pre-attach bungee cords to the basha for quick & easy erection. If the bergen is not packed properly and equally balanced it will result in back injury. Rocket pouches should be packed with minimum weight: they are primarily used in the advance to contact or offence and should not restrict movement or be heavily laden. They are also used to carry ammo and/or medical bag. They should be clearly marked: white for ammo & red for section medical bag.Individual Protection Equipment (IPE) is carried in the IPE bag within the rocket pouches. Consisting of IPE suit (trousers & jacket), boots & gloves. The respirator, canister (and spare) and drining attachment are carried in the respirator pouch. The respiratoris carried seperate from the Belf Order depending on the dress cat or threat. Shovels: Entrenching tool, small & big shovel. The big shovel is carried on the outside of the pack and should have a sandbag covering to prevent shine.Wets should be in good condition; if torn they should be replaced. Rank markings and name tags should be worn. In inclement weather you should have gaiters, leather gloves, headgear and a scarf. Clothing: Clothing should be in good repair and examined for it's heat value, size and quality. Polyester thermal sweaters will keep the body warm & reduce the risk of hypothermia when used as part of a layer system. You may be able to get away with one pair of DPM trousers, depending on the weather and pack space. Pack spare clothes on top of the sleeping bag in waterproof bags. Some form of jacket or insulation should be worn at night. High activity: dress down. Low activity: dress up.

Patrol Pack:
                          When patrolling it should be on top of the main pack and easily accessible, if there is a threat the main pack should be dropped and the patrol pack retained. It should contain an emergency brew kit (tea/coffee, hexi and chocolate) as well as items of ordnance (Kite sight, ammo or signals kit).

Belt Order:
                          Used to carry arc markers, binos, eating utensils and emergency brew kit, glovers, goggles, emergency medical kit, model kit, rifle cleaning kit, spare kit (socks), snap lights and guides.Carried on top of the belt order are sand bags and the GPMG spare parts kit. On the belt itself, a second FFD. You should add on an extra pouch for the amount of kit you carry and use a bungee to keep it tight & secure either around or through the belt. If you can get a secateurs they are very handy for local foliage, camouflage & concealment. Additional field dressing should be carried on belf order, secured with gaffa tape in a plastic bag. Rifle Cleaning Kit should contain flannelette, pull-through complete, surgical gloves (carbon and cuts don't mix), scouring pad, safety pin for BFA to clean out the small hole in the top. Goggles: To protect eyes while working in the forest. Should have a dark lens to prevent any bright lights reflecting. Arc markers: Designed for use in a shell scrape or base camp to indicate arcs of fire. Tent pegs: Tie down the basha and remember to take them all up again after use. GPMG spare parts wallet: As soon as it is drawn from stores it's contents should be checked - flannelette (should be in a plastic bag), oil (full bottle), at platoon level there should be one wrench for taking off the BFA. The pouch is carried on top of the belt order and secured with a bungee. Two sandbags: Multiple uses: overhead protection and bottom of the shel scrape, for ammo or rations re-supply and POW handling. Illums (on issue) and directional arrows are ideal for guiding troops through narrow forest tracks or thick vegitation. POW handling kit (one per section): Should include sandbags, flexi-cuffs & POW documentation. Model kit: Containing cards with military symbols clearly marked, chalk and ribbons. Leather gloves: Many uses, primarily for inclement weather, for carrying the GPMG (sweaty hands may slip onto the barrel causing burns), to cook with (also preventing burns to hands). Metal mug: recommended because it is easier to cook with. Cutlery should be contained in the mug with a small towel for cleaning.
                          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• And remember what von Clauswitz said.....

"Every soldier should carry an axe lest he need to break down a door"

Comment

• Those two articles are the only things Connect had to say on the subject for the past few years. I think that's as much as anyone can say without referring to restricted material.

In both cases the authors stress that the lists are suggestions & referr the reader to the appropriate manual or their NCO's.

Comment

• Theres no problem on arrse about telling people what they carry on their webbing.

as strummer said, i was just looking for advice. I do have the aforementioned article from connect, and i have been using it as a basis for what i will carry. Should there be much difference in what can be carried between 58 and PLCE? I ask this as the article was written or PLCE. I have photocopies from a book which i am also using as a guide, this uses 58 patt as the basis (PLCE was just being trialled at the time, so BA units still had 58)
                                "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Working...
                                X