Irish DPM Cordura/Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish DPM Cordura/Material

Anyone know who supplies the Irish DPM for the manufacture of Pouches, Kit etc? I am aware Protac (http://protacpx.com ) make them but who actually produces the material?

Anybody in the know or can shed some light on this?

seyntex
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
      Stop reading the inside of your shirt!
      NEVER
      It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

I think he's just looking for the cordura material to make his own. Not for who makes the pouches .

Comment

He makes the pouches himself, think the factory is in Rathdrum Co.Wicklow (or it was at least) don't know where the material comes from

Comment

I feel this is unacceptable. Declaring to "own" the copyright so as to kill off any competition. It is also unacceptable that members of both the PDF and RDF cannot purchase from other Kit/gear makers worldwide. Some of these companies are willing to run their products if the DPM becomes available.(Arktis for example and I know others too including some U.S companies)
            Yes it makes perfect sense to Protac as they don't want any competition in this field. But it's not fair on those who wish to puchase equipment for their profession. I feel this needs to be dealt with. I am not aware of this situation in any other country. Military pers. should have an option and a variety of companies/designs to choose from. Not just one brand or having to accept the fact they have to use Brit/French/US colours. We need to see this "copyright" resolved so as to improve standards of kit/gear available to members of the Irish D.F.

What are the opinions ladies/gents? Would like to here feedback here from PDF/RDF.

P.s I am aware of the Security issues and implications and availabilty of said material, so can we refrian from replies in relation to this. Would rather hear what people have to say on what I see as a kit "monopoly". i am more interested in what is or should be available to professional soldiers.
            Last edited by on_ready_to_fire; 14 April 2005, 21:17.

Comment

I wouldnt be too keen to discuss this gentlemans business practice,as he has had no hesitation in the past of suing those who he felt were wronging him.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

but how can he "own" the pattern, he didn't design it, did the DOD sell it?
                Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Originally posted by mutter nutter
                  but how can he "own" the pattern, he didn't design it, did the DOD sell it?
                  Somewhere in the back of my head I have a story that what he owns is an American Paratrooper pattern from the '80s that was never used. It is very similiar to Irish DPM but not the same. Hence he is able to produce extremely similiar pattern equipment without worrying about the copyright.... so long as he doesn't copy the actual Irish pattern.

I could be wrong there.

I know that Arktis used to use the actual Irish pattern a few years ago. I remember seeing an Arktis Smock which was very similiar to the irish one in pattern and style but with a different hood. I can post the pic here tomorrow.

Comment

I would clearly like to point out that this is not a get at anyone. It is good that we have one company that manufactures equipment in our own pattern and that markets some well designed gear.

What I am saying is that there should be more variety of gear available to the men and women serving in the Defence Forces in our own DPm design. There is nothing worse than seeing various units equipped with gear (privately purchased) in various patterns of DPM. It does not look great really. A variety of equipment which is made available to purchase by members of the D.F would enhance our Professional image. And I'm sure most members of the D.F would appreciate it.
                    Last edited by on_ready_to_fire; 14 April 2005, 22:47.

Comment

The Protac pattern is not the same as Irish DPM, its his own pattern that is very similar for obvious reasons.
                      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Arktis were offering smocks in Irish pattern for restricted sale in the US (military/LEO sales only) but it's not listed on their site anymore.

Whoever owns the rights to the pattern, it's up to them to licence production of it. If they do licence production it's up to a manufacturer to make it, which they're not going to do unless it's profitable for them. The only patterns close to Irish pattern are Protac (depending on whether you think his pattern is official or not) and Central European (French).

If I could find decent kit in Irish pattern I'd stock it in a heartbeat.
                        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Not Irish DPM , but its damn close made by arltis and available for purchase at ANOTHER site, sorry mods and FMolly.

It's expensive but looks quaility.

Only difference is that there is no field dressing pocket, irish flag, but it does have a place for a rank slide.
                          Last edited by Bam Bam; 15 April 2005, 00:23.

Comment

Red x's look nothing like DPM.
                            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

red x's

Comment

Working...
                              X