Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast
    Commander
    Post Thanks / Like

Were you in the NS back in the days......

Murph
    You Should Apply For Naval Priest Position

Post Thanks / Like
    He's completely right though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Easily knowing that you weren't of the seamens fraternity that has to clean up after all these visitors!
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Post Thanks / Like
    I agreed with you Murph not moggy. Theres nothing worse than somebody climbing up the gangway claiming she/he's entitled to a tour because he/she pays his taxes and shouting abuse, when you have absolutely no input whatsoever into the decision.

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah...but I found that back in the 80's especially, an armed sentry appearing on the flagdeck usually quietened any of the rabble shouting abuse! Nothing quite like the look on their face when they glance up to see an armed sentry looking down on them!

Commander
    Post Thanks / Like
    murph
    we all did cleaning up, the moogy even helped sometimes

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should have seen the amount of beer glasses to clean up after some of the sessions in New York

The Man on the Telly combatlogo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS
    I agreed with you Murph not moggy. Theres nothing worse than somebody climbing up the gangway claiming she/he's entitled to a tour because he/she pays his taxes and shouting abuse, when you have absolutely no input whatsoever into the decision.
    Yeah, as much as I used to give swabbies a hard time, for the Sailors, the ship is their barracks and there is no base maintenance or emergency services to call when something breaks.

As for punters climbing up the gangway demanding a tour, I can think of a very quick solution for that.
    "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to get that on the cargo ship too,people would see the tricolour and automatically assume they would be entertained aboard,as if it were some floating bar.

Nothing more annoying than tourists peeping through your porthole when you are tryin to get some kip before departing on the evening tide...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by combatlogo
    As for punters climbing up the gangway demanding a tour, I can think of a very quick solution for that.
    I think that one of your solutions would cause more problems than it would solve.
    Meh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Moggy...i can only ever remember yourself and cullinane cleaning the bridge and that little space of lino outside the comcen. For a patricks day in Dublin in 1988 we were sorely dericent in glasses and the mess comitte issued an insruction that all mess members would have two return wit aleasr two galss each if we were to have sufficient glass for the evenings fetivities,,,guys brought back black plastc bags full orfwhich were promptly dumped over thside when the glasses we empty....hundereds of glasses were dumped
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Commander
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy
    Moggy...i can only ever remember yourself and cullinane cleaning the bridge and that little space of lino outside the comcen. For a patricks day in Dublin in 1988 we were sorely dericent in glasses and the mess comitte issued an insruction that all mess members would have two return wit aleasr two galss each if we were to have sufficient glass for the evenings fetivities,,,guys brought back black plastc bags full orfwhich were promptly dumped over thside when the glasses we empty....hundereds of glasses were dumped
    Yes with the new cox george jefferies it was decided that mary's clean bridge and
    outside jockey's cabin and comcen this was great, but on the other hand we did help
    the mess man clean up after hours, especially if it had to be dumped overboard
    Jockey was a good skipper no hassle from him
    is he still around???
    the Helo test flight in france was carried out by fully qualified test pilots but bringing them on the piss the night before didn't help. several pairs of a/corps pants was ruined on that
    trip. the was near the end of the Air corps or near enough.
    they insisted on commanding the tels cabin which you know is right beside the gyro
    and proberally the steadist part of eithne, but this was refused by officers they were not very happy living up by the heads

Post Thanks / Like
    Jockey is well retired at this stage.And the TELs ..or what ever they are called now still live in the same accomadation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a pic of a very young Lt Jockey,still with hair...in the fantastis NSR scrapbook collection.

He is "semi retired"...

Commander
    Post Thanks / Like
    go ahead send

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to remember that there was a 2 berth cabin just out side the wardroom which was refered to and designated as the pilots cabin ? and the cabin down by the gyro was for the airmen , bunch of wankers anyway . I ,ll never forget the look on an Air Corps Corprals face when he was told that his mess was the junior ratings mess ,George Jefferies the cox realy enjoyed telling the guy that, speaking of George Jefferies , Moggy , do you remember the night a 4 inch fire house was placed in his cabin while he was asleep and then turned on .

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    There needs to be a new tread created here just for stories in relation to Eithne , we may end up with enough material to write a book , and yes , Jocky Jordan was a great skipper ,and I often wondered if the varoius skippers and officers where aware of their nicknames and what their reaction would be on finding out

Post Thanks / Like
    Jockeys sons call him jockey...

The Pilots cabin is now heads(quite appropriate).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish
    Have a pic of a very young Lt Jockey,still with hair...in the fantastic NSR scrapbook collection.

He is "semi retired"...
    Thanks again to Sluggie and Co for the use of these excellent pictures.

One of these days I'm going to meet him on the street,and he'll have heard what we are sayin about him..and i'll get one of those looks...

Lieutenant
    Post Thanks / Like
    can you tell us anything more about the pics, i.e when and why they were taken?

Commander
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners
    There needs to be a new tread created here just for stories in relation to Eithne , we may end up with enough material to write a book , and yes , Jocky Jordan was a great skipper ,and I often wondered if the varoius skippers and officers where aware of their nicknames and what their reaction would be on finding out

They all knew nicknames allright, When georges cabin was flooded, George carr came flying down to the tels cabin and started screaming at bullet head who was blamed but had nothing to do with it, it was done by the p/o dusty, ( i think who is now a sir in the air corps) jefferies shit his pants he throught the eithne was sinking a funny night especially seeing him roaring in his jocks (some sight)
    jockey had a good laugh,

Post Thanks / Like
    Who was the PO Dusty..I remember 'Ted The Red 'as the SPO........ahhhhhhhhhh! bollocks.

Bullet head ..and Aggie the cook ..what a pair!

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ted was a senior/ P O and I dought he had it in him to do something like that. The two prime suspects where both P/Os < can I name names ?> but nothing was proven ,The day befor was St Paddies day and the ship was anchored off of Rathmullen , too rough to get alongside or use liberty boats, so a pretty big session on board . I ended up im an outfit dressed as a sheep and visited each rec room yelling BLAAA BLAAA got chased throug the ship by a drunken mob , sought refuge in the wardroom pantry and was cornered , so into the wardroom I went , BLAAA BLAAA and out the door . heard a lot of lauging from the wardroom and Jocky thought it was great craic

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes,I'm glad I didn't join the Navy....

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    All that duty free , do they still have it ?

Thread Information