Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 1238
  1. #151
    Commander
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    South CO. Dublin
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Pilot View Post
    I recall the scene once, where the Jockey was standing smoking his pipe on the bridge wing, while the ship was tied up alongside. A SubLt. at the time was looking over the edge, when he said to the captain, “How high are we off the ground, Sir?” “About five foot seven” says the Jockey. “ Oh No No! Sir, I meant how high was the bridge wing off the quay wall!”
    There was a quiet retreat of the lesser ranks who were in earshot!

    It must be said though, that the Jockey was a gentleman when we were at sea with him. I always found him very fair!
    yes a true gent - a good captain

  2. #152
    Armchair Admiral ocean's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like
    Test Pilot was the story not related to sextant use and the Sub Lt asked "what is our height of eye"? from what I recall it is an essential requirement to know height of eye above the sea surface for navigation with sun and stars if an officer is to get an accurate position. The captain replied "well mines about 5ft 5", thereby putting the cat amongst the pigeons.

  3. #153
    Tim Horgan Goldie fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    you already know too much
    Posts
    33,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two thinks jockey knew about himself.
    1. He wasn't tall.
    2. His hair would never get in his eyes.

    He heard all the gags.


    Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

  4. #154
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean View Post
    Test Pilot was the story not related to sextant use and the Sub Lt asked "what is our height of eye"? from what I recall it is an essential requirement to know height of eye above the sea surface for navigation with sun and stars if an officer is to get an accurate position. The captain replied "well mines about 5ft 5", thereby putting the cat amongst the pigeons.
    Ocean, Thanks for that - the St. Bruno must have clouded my recall!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #155
    Private 2*
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was sorry after I didnt avail of the Carnac trip the photos recalls a lot of good memories
    good friends sill with us one gone to his final reward RIP.I would like toi see more I might have a few my self will look them up.Yes a good Skipper Jach Jordan mnay a cup of coffey I had on the bridge with him talking of the old corvette days

  6. #156
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,792
    Post Thanks / Like
    jaysus even 'chins' had shaved on the day..and a dimunitive dathi Elliot in the left hand side second row. The Leading seaman who was a leading seasickness case. lol

    Even the" fat fitzy "who is not so fat at the time lol....
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 30th April 2007 at 10:11.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

  7. #157
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
    I was sorry after I didnt avail of the Carnac trip the photos recalls a lot of good memories
    good friends sill with us one gone to his final reward RIP.I would like toi see more I might have a few my self will look them up.Yes a good Skipper Jach Jordan mnay a cup of coffey I had on the bridge with him talking of the old corvette days
    Yes, I agree! Sean O' Brien (RIP) was our Coxn, on the Aoife in the early eighties, and he was brilliant! Always good for a laugh and a joke. And what a repertoire he had!
    He was also notorious for falling over things. We were sitting in the mess one day during a heavy sea, when Sean came flying down the stairs as the ship lurched, he tripped and was sent head first through the escape hatch on the lower part of the closed mess door. He just picked himself up and carried on!
    Another day, he burst in the door of the mess, again in a heavy sea, tripped on the step, fell over the coffee table, where we were trying to keep our dinner plates and ended up on top of us with the dinner on the couch! What a life!
    Last edited by Test Pilot; 30th April 2007 at 21:55.

  8. #158
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    More guns and things from the Eithne and Aoife! The S/Lt always wore his tie in the ammo dump pic!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Test Pilot; 27th May 2007 at 11:27.

  9. #159
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,792
    Post Thanks / Like
    Em..the last one is a 20mm oerlikon....
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

  10. #160
    Tim Horgan Goldie fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    you already know too much
    Posts
    33,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those Oerlikons just looked right.


    Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

  11. #161
    6-40509-04014-7 yooklid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Right behind you.....
    Posts
    2,921
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Pilot View Post
    More guns and things from the Eithne and Aoife! The S/Lt always wore his tie in the ammo dump pic!
    What's happening to all those FNs? They look brand new.
    Meh.

  12. #162
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yooklid View Post
    What's happening to all those FNs? They look brand new.
    The FN's are not that new. These pics were taken twenty odd years ago!

  13. #163
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,792
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well they were fairly new at the time....along with most of the kit..who noticed the wooden crate marked 'Energa' ?????

    And the brand new 58 pattern..brand new magazine pouches for Gustavs.

    Obviuosly the weapons fit out.
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 1st May 2007 at 09:12.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

  14. #164
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    I have copied some pictures and sent to various members of the crew who were on board at that time -unbelievable the crew are crying out for more???
    When the Eithne visited Boston in 1986, an invitation was sent to invite the crew to an Emerald Society do. A Boston police bus was sent to the ship to bring the crew to the venue. When I say bus, it resembled a type of transport for carrying convicts or perhaps ‘a chain gang’. It had blue lights on the roof and barred windows with protective steel mesh.
    We arrived at the venue where a great party developed which went on in to the early hours. The arrangement was that we were to be collected and brought back to the ship around midnight and a police motorcyclist arrived to escort the bus back. However, the partygoers were having none of it and he was dragged to the bar and somewhat forced fed, if you can call it that. When the time eventually came for us to leave, the motorcycle cop was in no state to stand, let alone drive the bike! We duly boarded the bus and departed for the ship.
    Our route took us through what was then a rundown area, called Harlem. The bus stopped at a set of traffic lights alongside a patch of waste ground where some black duds were playing football. One of our lot shouted out the window – ‘ Hey man, they have us all locked up, come and get us out quick’. The football stopped and some provocative shapes were thrown along with some mutterings and gesticulations. The black men started to move towards the bus, when the bus driver said ‘to hell with this’ and drove through the red lights and away back to the ship.
    Now, it must be said that the bus driver was no ordinary driver, and I often thought that he would have made a good candidate for the Knocknaheeny late night bus run.

    Check him out below! Oh, and yes, Sean O'B was in full flight that night too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Test Pilot; 27th May 2007 at 11:27.

  15. #165
    Commander
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    South CO. Dublin
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Test Pilot View Post
    When the Eithne visited Boston in 1986, an invitation was sent to invite the crew to an Emerald Society do. A Boston police bus was sent to the ship to bring the crew to the venue. When I say bus, it resembled a type of transport for carrying convicts or perhaps ‘a chain gang’. It had blue lights on the roof and barred windows with protective steel mesh.
    We arrived at the venue where a great party developed which went on in to the early hours. The arrangement was that we were to be collected and brought back to the ship around midnight and a police motorcyclist arrived to escort the bus back. However, the partygoers were having none of it and he was dragged to the bar and somewhat forced fed, if you can call it that. When the time eventually came for us to leave, the motorcycle cop was in no state to stand, let alone drive the bike! We duly boarded the bus and departed for the ship.
    Our route took us through what was then a rundown area, called Harlem. The bus stopped at a set of traffic lights alongside a patch of waste ground where some black duds were playing football. One of our lot shouted out the window – ‘ Hey man, they have us all locked up, come and get us out quick’. The football stopped and some provocative shapes were thrown along with some mutterings and gesticulations. The black men started to move towards the bus, when the bus driver said ‘to hell with this’ and drove through the red lights and away back to the ship.
    Now, it must be said that the bus driver was no ordinary driver, and I often thought that he would have made a good candidate for the Knocknaheeny late night bus run.

    Check him out below! Oh, and yes, Sean O'B was in full flight that night too!
    nice one just about remember the night??

  16. #166
    old sweat
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys, new to the site! lovely to read about the ol days on Eithne.
    Was on board from 84 to 86 meself, got the yankee trip an all.
    I remember a certain nav officer, on the bridge wit the jockster, who said, while looking at a seabird thru a pair of binos, "Sir, I don't seem to recognise that bird", to which the jockster replied, sarcastically of course, "Don't worry, he doesn't recognise you either!" You could have heard a pin drop. I don't know how we kept the laughing in.
    I'll have to have a think for some stories from the states trip. I have plenty, if only I could remember them!!!:confused:
    Moggy, do u remember when the David F was "acquired" for an impromptu spin to the base???

  17. #167
    old sweat
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh yeah, please keep the pics coming,as I have very few.

  18. #168
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mattydread View Post
    Hi guys, new to the site! lovely to read about the ol days on Eithne.
    Was on board from 84 to 86 meself, got the yankee trip an all.
    I remember a certain nav officer, on the bridge wit the jockster, who said, while looking at a seabird thru a pair of binos, "Sir, I don't seem to recognise that bird", to which the jockster replied, sarcastically of course, "Don't worry, he doesn't recognise you either!" You could have heard a pin drop. I don't know how we kept the laughing in.
    I'll have to have a think for some stories from the states trip. I have plenty, if only I could remember them!!!:confused:
    Moggy, do u remember when the David F was "acquired" for an impromptu spin to the base???
    Yes, I have recall problems myself, but if pople can submit more stories it should lead to improving peoples memory.

  19. #169
    bosun
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    cork
    Posts
    1,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just joined the message board and it is bringing happy memories of my times on grainne with a/ck lane and eithne with po/ck lane a great man for loads of spuds on the plate moggy do you remember the submarine on us trip called bonefish or as we called it bonehead..

  20. #170
    Commander
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    South CO. Dublin
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by golden rivet View Post
    Just joined the message board and it is bringing happy memories of my times on grainne with a/ck lane and eithne with po/ck lane a great man for loads of spuds on the plate moggy do you remember the submarine on us trip called bonefish or as we called it bonehead..
    jesus every head from the ns that sailed on eithne must now be signed up on this site
    great stuff
    story 1 One particular tel on eithne had a few pint's and headed for the launch
    not david f as somebody mentioned - when he arrived on the boat he found crew gone and keys left in engine - he proceeded out of cobh and landed by the buoy in the harbour and dropped somebody off - he then headed to the naval base and was met by the nice guard shift and landed in the guard room for the night. sometime later while up on charges with jockiey -the good captain asked how he drove the boat -jockey stated not even the cox'n in p31 could drive the boat (ha ha) needless to say he got 14 days confined to ship . he was lucky he didn't end up for 14 days in spike

    story 2
    While we were headng for new York - a US Sub was behind us along with a group of several war ships all heading for the big apple, anyway late at night while all was calm
    one tel called USS BONEHEAD for a radio check - several minutes passed when i got a reply back from the SUB that he was USS BONEFISH

    MAJOR SNIGGERS ON BRIDGE??

    THERE ARE HUNDREREDS MORE STORIES I SURE WE WILL ALL HEAR SHORTLY

  21. #171
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,792
    Post Thanks / Like
    maybe there should be an Eithne thread...
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

  22. #172
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golden rivet View Post
    Just joined the message board and it is bringing happy memories of my times on grainne with a/ck lane and eithne with po/ck lane a great man for loads of spuds on the plate moggy do you remember the submarine on us trip called bonefish or as we called it bonehead..
    I rember that incident very well! When the ship approached New York, it was expected that all ships would join a fleet which sailed up and down the coast, until other foreign vessels had arrived. When the fleet was assembled they would sail into New York in convoy to their allocated anchorages.
    While on this sail past, strict radio protocall was adhered to, on a military comm net, where orders were passed to enable the fleet to manover in unison.
    The bridge deck crew were on high alert, and the duty tel was extra vigilent, as he had the radio code book to interpret.
    At one point, the Jockey (the gent), spotted a tall ship on the horizon and asked the nav to plot his course from the radar. The nav indicated that he would pass to our stern at such a given time, on our current course.
    Jockey, instructed the duty Tell to contact the vessel to the stern of us, which happened to be a US submarine, and to advise him of the oncoming vessel.
    One must remember that the entire international fleet is listening and so strict radio protocall would be used.
    The dialogue went as follows: 'Bonehead, Bonehead this is Irish Warship Eithne, over.....'
    An erie silence followed! 'Bonehead, Bonehead this is Irish Warship Eithne, over.....'
    Again silence! Jockey asked the Tell ' Are you on the right frequency'. 'I am sir, said the tell waving the code book.
    The Captain must have been thinking- We have to look professional here and said 'call him up again!
    'Bonehead, Bonehead this is Irish Warship Eithne, over.....'
    Back came an irratated American voice, devoid of all radio protocall, 'ITS NOT BONEHEAD, ITS BONE FISH'.
    The jockey went from 5'6'' to a lesser height,and just indicated to the Tell with a wave of his hand to repeat the call. 'Bone Fish' this is war ship Eithne....................................
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #173
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mattydread View Post
    oh yeah, please keep the pics coming,as I have very few.
    Did anyone hear that matty was dead?
    Last edited by Test Pilot; 10th May 2007 at 08:47.

  24. #174
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,792
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which Matty would that be....I remember two.....

    Nice piccies...I'm wondering is the last one of the sweepers parked up sometime in 1986....seeing as one seems to be missing its anchors and the other has no jack flying.....I think that red and white flag is some thing to do with out of commission.

    Its horrific to think looking back over some of the photos posted that some of those featured in them have passed on.....doesn't seem like twenty years ago
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

  25. #175
    Tim Horgan Goldie fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    you already know too much
    Posts
    33,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic photos again. I'd encourage you again to put them in the gallery. When you attach them here, people can save them and post them elsewhere, passing them off as their own. The Gallery keeps a digital tag on them.


    Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •