Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chrisr View Post
    Off there to see the build next week
    The IT reported the Coast Guard were to get new vessels next year.....what "vessels" exactly?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Taken in the context of the article where they talk about ' the Coast Guard's aging fleet' I imagine its replacement RIBS.

What I find more interesting is this: 'Mr Varadkar also confirmed that he has given the Office of Public Works the go-ahead to tender for a new Coast Guard Volunteer and Pollution Response Centre in Killybegs, Co Donegal'
      Is this a tender to build a new CG Unit / Pollution Response building? If so who operates the pollution response equipment or is this also part of the tender? I thought Sinbad Marine were the pollution response in the Killybegs area.

Comment

• The CG have a pollution ship on the Shannon,about the size of a crabber,I think this is its biggest craft and as its policy is not to put in boats where there is already a RNLI unit to avoid duplication of assets/effort unlikely any offshore rescue units are being acquired
        Most likely the article is a regurgitation of the press release last Oct on main CG site to buy 7 new ribs @ 1.5M.

Comment

• Given the size of the country, would it not make sense to put the NS vessels,and the Casa maritime patrol aircraft under coastguard control? They could then revert to DOD control in time of war, much the same as the USCG.

Comment

• Or just maintain as is and save an expensive rebranding exercise?

Comment

• If anything op control would best lie with the SFPA which accounts for 90% of NS/CASA ops.

Comment

• Originally posted by jack nastyface View Post
                Given the size of the country, would it not make sense to put the NS vessels,and the Casa maritime patrol aircraft under coastguard control? They could then revert to DOD control in time of war, much the same as the USCG.
                Would it not be easier to put the Coast Guard, and the Air Corps maritime assets under the control of the Naval service, who already have almost 70 years expertise in the area, compared to a Coast Guard who as yet have no ships, no aircraft and management made up of former members of the Naval service?

Your suggestion means little more than repainting the grey ships red and white.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                  The CG have a pollution ship on the Shannon,about the size of a crabber,I think this is its biggest craft and as its policy is not to put in boats where there is already a RNLI unit to avoid duplication of assets/effort unlikely any offshore rescue units are being acquired
                  Most likely the article is a regurgitation of the press release last Oct on main CG site to buy 7 new ribs @ 1.5M.
                  I think a couple of the fisher tankers that regularly run to the shannon and Galway, are equiped, and contracted by EMSA for polloution control/reaction on the Irish coast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                    Would it not be easier to put the Coast Guard, and the Air Corps maritime assets under the control of the Naval service, who already have almost 70 years expertise in the area, compared to a Coast Guard who as yet have no ships, no aircraft and management made up of former members of the Naval service?

Your suggestion means little more than repainting the grey ships red and white.
                    That would work too. Just consoladate the operation somehow. Though i could see problems with empires destroyed/built, and various noses put out of joint, and egos bruised. It would take a pragmatism from all concerned. And just dont paint anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by jack nastyface View Post

That would work too. Just consoladate the operation somehow. Though i could see problems with empires destroyed/built, and various noses put out of joint, and egos bruised. It would take a pragmatism from all concerned. And just dont paint anything.
                      It may consolidate the mission but not the cost.

Comment

• days of chasing trawlers is gone.

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                        For inshore work, no. Few trawlers operate at more than 12 knots. Once you have powerful RIBs for boarding it matters not.

Comment

• Times & Indo are calling our new RiB order as 'ships'. Classic error from landlubbers. However the PfG requires us to reconsider Irelands ETV needs and report in 2012.

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          The IT reported the Coast Guard were to get new vessels next year.....what "vessels" exactly?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking6.html

Comment

• We have national stockpiles in Killybegs, CTB and Dub to provide a higher level of response that is available to a single LA or HM.
                            Originally posted by Tadpole View Post
                            Taken in the context of the article where they talk about ' the Coast Guard's aging fleet' I imagine its replacement RIBS.

What I find more interesting is this: 'Mr Varadkar also confirmed that he has given the Office of Public Works the go-ahead to tender for a new Coast Guard Volunteer and Pollution Response Centre in Killybegs, Co Donegal'
                            Is this a tender to build a new CG Unit / Pollution Response building? If so who operates the pollution response equipment or is this also part of the tender? I thought Sinbad Marine were the pollution response in the Killybegs area.

Comment

• all the options would work but none of the services mentioned could not escape dramatic change and some pain in the national interest. However I cant see it happening anytime soon. IRCG has some re-organising to do internally anyway and will be staying with DTTAS and not going to Ag.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                                We have national stockpiles in Killybegs, CTB and Dub to provide a higher level of response that is available to a single LA or HM.
                                NS have recently bought some oil pollution gear & booms aswell, for their own use.

Comment

Working...
                                X