Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editted my post just read what wiki says about it

Comment

Sadly our successive governments have never woken up to the fact that we are an island nation. Thats what we get for electing bogmen.

Comment

To get the bollard pull required on an EPV then you don't have an EPV any more, you have an ETV.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

How about replacing an aging OPV/CPV with a ETV?

It could be equipped to preform all the NS roles with possibly 76mm.

http://www.bonnagreement.org/eng/doc...y%20towing.pdf (we signed up to this in 2001!)

Although most nations seem to contract it out and/or enter agreements with their neighbours!

Comment

It's an option I have suggested in the past, however at present it is not a priority for the Naval service, and the Garda Cósta seem keen to retain it in their AO.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorenco View Post
              Sadly our successive governments have never woken up to the fact that we are an island nation. Thats what we get for electing bogmen.
              We are an Island? When did this happen?
              At least 70% of the current government realise there is sea surrounding the island. That's why the mention of ETV made it into the program for government. Not sure about the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                Garda Cósta seem keen to retain it in their AO.
                I'd say if it is it will be contracted out. Which may not be a bad thing as you'd probably need 2 vessels to provide 365/24/7 capability?!

Pollution control is part of IRCG's job, but assisting is part of the NS's job.

Comment

It was always and will always be the NS job until the IRCG get their act together and have assets capable of responding.

Comment

the only issue here is bollard pull and the training and experience to use it. Whether NS or contracted is at this point a matter of value for money and maximum utility of the vessel across the broad range of generic CG functions. There are many many models that are possible from a NS/CG vessel to a contracted vessel and towing master crewed in part by the NS to full contracting and crewing. I know which one would be best for both services. or else you obtain the BP in industry by incentivisation and up the preventative and mitigation measures.

PS an organisations name is quite important to it as I assume yours is - unless you dont like it?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                      I know which one would be best for both services
                      Whats the best option and why?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                        PS an organisations name is quite important to it as I assume yours is - unless you dont like it?
                        Mine has changed numerous times over the years, but i still answer the phone the way I did from day one and nobody gets confused.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Whats the best option and why?

Leased by the IRCG and operated by the NS to excecute all their designated functions within pre-defined operational boundaries with ship-rider towing master. In some ways similar to the Sligo leased heli idea only with a full NS remit and no back tracking on operational committments.
                          Last edited by chrisr; 11 March 2011, 17:00.

Comment

It would be an interesting option for CPV replacements, but surely you need more than just a ship rider towing master? A highly experienced heavy towing crew is vital, as you would be operating usually in the worst of conditions. Most anchor cranker crews have learnt the ropes (literally) on low risk manouvering jobs, and not trying to prevent a supertanker from ploughing into Skellig Michael.

You either have a fully trained crew, or none at all. Surely history has told us that being jack of all trades, and master of none, only leads to tragedy.

Comment

Maybe some temp commissions to upskill would deal with this.

Comment

The Norwegian Coast Guard have a number of ships that mostly do fishery protection but can also do emergency towing - how do they man/train their crews?

Comment

Working...
                                X