Irish Steel Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
    And, or a warning notice to the effect that the area they are about to enter has sports fields with sailors engaged in sporting activities which may result in colorful language not suitable for civilians .
    If they displayed the string vest worn by some of the best NS athletes back in the day....
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
      There is a separate gate and roadway at the end of the bridge before the security barrier. The roadway run parallel to one inside the security fence of the base to what should be a public car-park at the end. See your post #519 (page 21)

[ATTACH]8842[/ATTACH]
      Apologies, i was referring to the car park adjacent to the old drydock with the Naval Base confines.

The security barrier is just past the separate entrance to the Haulbowline Park.

Comment

• So Cork CoCo have leased the park from DAFM? That's not complicated at all. I'm sure it will work just as smoothly as Tramore Valley Park in Cork.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Guess that isn’t going to see in increase in the Defence budget

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/...owline-island/
          New CBRN training area..
          Joking aside, I'm surprised the east tip only cost €25m, because that was where all the nasty stuff was. The buildings are gone, the hardest job now is to fill the various holes and pits that appear at random around the site, and remove the remaining uprights from the old (1970s era) factory buildings. No different to the many factories of the same time that had to have their asbestos roofs replaced in the area. Then you have plenty of space for temporary accommodation until block 9 and 10 and the Hospital are refurbished. Would be great to see a roof on Building 11 again too, but its burning in the 1920s probably had historical significance of some sort.

Comment

• The US EPA are completing the remediating of the DULUTH Steel works site that occupied an area of over 600 acres and contended with a century of steel working pollution. The estimated costs are in the region of 75m USD and the intention is to return it to residential, commercial and amenity use. The work included dredging adjacent St.Louis river bed. They listed contaminants as oil, coke residues, smelt residues, chemicals, asbestos and other dangerous materials. Our problems are not unique but joint partners will cause Budget overload for somebody. Get on with it and start building for new drydock pump house, dredging and cleaning dock and basin, and complete with accommodation and parking to modern self contained standards.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
              The US EPA are completing the remediating of the DULUTH Steel works site that occupied an area of over 600 acres and contended with a century of steel working pollution. The estimated costs are in the region of 75m USD and the intention is to return it to residential, commercial and amenity use. The work included dredging adjacent St.Louis river bed. They listed contaminants as oil, coke residues, smelt residues, chemicals, asbestos and other dangerous materials. Our problems are not unique but joint partners will cause Budget overload for somebody. Get on with it and start building for new drydock pump house, dredging and cleaning dock and basin, and complete with accommodation and parking to modern self contained standards.
              The Haulbowline site is about 19 acres so it should cost dramatically less. (Google Maps Area and Distance Calculator | Measure Distance or Area on a Map) The basin was already well dredged before the arrival of the P60 class. Even the cost of regenerating the drydock was estimated as relatively small money. It just needs political will do do it properly. The master plan for the island had that area designated as secure staging area for vehicles and equipment going overseas from Ringaskiddy nearby, along with a new Parade ground(not much wrong with the old one).

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

New CBRN training area..
                Joking aside, I'm surprised the east tip only cost €25m, because that was where all the nasty stuff was. The buildings are gone, the hardest job now is to fill the various holes and pits that appear at random around the site, and remove the remaining uprights from the old (1970s era) factory buildings. No different to the many factories of the same time that had to have their asbestos roofs replaced in the area. Then you have plenty of space for temporary accommodation until block 9 and 10 and the Hospital are refurbished. Would be great to see a roof on Building 11 again too, but its burning in the 1920s probably had historical significance of some sort.
                I think I read that according to the EPA report of the Site, the most contaminated area was around the smelting furnace (towards the North end of the site (next to Block 9/Spencer Jetty).

Being in the hands of the DoD is a death knell for development of the site in this Century.

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post

I think I read that according to the EPA report of the Site, the most contaminated area was around the smelting furnace (towards the North end of the site (next to Block 9/Spencer Jetty).

Being in the hands of the DoD is a death knell for development of the site in this Century.
                  They will invest in temporary fencing, to keep people out....

Comment

They will invest in temporary fencing, to keep people out....
                    The official position from CCC is that the tested air quality in the Recreational 9 acre site, at a cost of 25m Euro is not a danger to public users. The remaining 11 acre site of the Steel Mill is contaminated and is due to be remediated, however the public do not have access, and the 11 acre site is not in use!! Matters in relation to the yet to be remediated site are a matter for the Department of Food and Marine. Get the US EPA to do it as they did 640 acres for 75m USD.

Comment

• I have not been to the "park" yet but I hear complaints from users earlier this week about the lack of bins and the fact the toilet is not yet operational... While they stand on what was the largest open waste dump in the harbour. Am I the only one seeing the irony?

Comment

Matters in relation to the yet to be remediated site are a matter for the Department of Food and Marine.
                        Remediation of the factory site is now DoD’s responsibility

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

Remediation of the factory site is now DoD’s responsibility
                          Quoting partially from a CCC spokesman's response to a press release issued by an Irish earth Friends group. You will find that remediation will not be a singular task due to the implied compliances. MOD welcomes the co-operation of CCC to carry the project through. Does anybody have an accurate measurement of the remediated site and the remainder yet to be done. Some are saying 11 hectares for the remediated site which amounts to 27 acres while others are describing that portion as 9 acres and the remaining west portion as 11 acres.

Comment

Quoting partially from a CCC spokesman's response to a press release issued by an Irish earth Friends group. You will find that remediation will not be a singular task due to the implied compliances. MOD welcomes the co-operation of CCC to carry the project through. Does anybody have an accurate measurement of the remediated site and the remainder yet to be done. Some are saying 11 hectares for the remediated site which amounts to 27 acres while others are describing that portion as 9 acres and the remaining west portion as 11 acres.
                            I gave the total area as 19 acres and detailed my source.
                            May I suggest if this isn't good enough you try measuring it yourself.
                            Google Maps Area and Distance Calculator | Measure Distance or Area on a Map

I measure the public park as 18.85 Acres or 76309Sq/m. I measured the Former ISPAT factory site as 19 Acres. I did not include any portion of the Basin in my calculation, even though the West Wall of the basin was once part of the Irish Steel/Ispat site. If you combine everything that once was Irish Steel/Ispat, and the portion of the basin used by the NS you have a total of 55 acres, which comes to about 22 and a half Hectares(Not including the water).

Comment

I gave the total area as 19 acres and detailed my source.
                              May I suggest if this isn't good enough you try measuring it yourself.
                              Google Maps Area and Distance Calculator | Measure Distance or Area on a Map

I measure the public park as 18.85 Acres or 76309Sq/m. I measured the Former ISPAT factory site as 19 Acres. I did not include any portion of the Basin in my calculation, even though the West Wall of the basin was once part of the Irish Steel/Ispat site. If you combine everything that once was Irish Steel/Ispat, and the portion of the basin used by the NS you have a total of 55 acres, which comes to about 22 and a half Hectares(Not including the water).
                              I measured the new park site as roughly 400m X 300m which in old money is 12 hectares+/-. If so that is about 28/29 acres. I didn't measure anything else due to the elongated shape to Spencer area but in any event the cost at a million per acre is actionable.

Comment

Working...
                              X