Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo from Norman Hardaker, taken of the ship after float out.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• The 76 appears to be missing? usually fitted when in the shed, see all photos of previous builds. or is there some optical illusion.

Comment

• Originally posted by restless View Post
        The 76 appears to be missing? usually fitted when in the shed, see all photos of previous builds. or is there some optical illusion.
        Possibly going to fit the gun from whichever CPV is going to be retired later in the year.
        Would explain how this ship is a few million euro cheaper than the last three.

Comment

• So if she's going to be fitted with the CPV's gun will that be done in Cobh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
            Possibly going to fit the gun from whichever CPV is going to be retired later in the year.
            Would explain how this ship is a few million euro cheaper than the last three.
            Breaking news????
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
              Breaking news????
              I said possibly, there could be another reason why there is no gun.

Comment

Was there any mention in the contract at the time, wasn't the 76mm's their own item on the contracts for the other 3?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                  Was there any mention in the contract at the time, wasn't the 76mm's their own item on the contracts for the other 3?
                  Weapon systems are often Govt. Furnished Equipment ( GFE ). Provision has to be made to have weapon mounts/ foundation surveyed in from a reference Gyro. The mount is usually machined to meet all tolerances before the weapon and turret are inserted and bolted down. More difficult to do it afloat in a lively dock. It is a matter for Ordinance and any external contractor hired for installation procedure. P31 gun was surveyed in by Reps from Royal Armourers Uk.
                  The age of the gun is only significant if ammunition is restricted in type or not available, if FCS needs special interfaces to match old gun requirements , and we cannot do it without major assistance. It is probably the worse scenario given the effect on confidence and morale.

Comment

• Wasn't there a pic of a 76mm being removed from an NS vessel for maintenance in the last year or so (it was refitted obviously) - but it is within NS/Dockyard experience

Comment

• Guns have been removed for refurbishment when the ships themselves are also getting a refurb. Nothing Ordnance cant handle.

Attached Files

Comment

• Were the guns for the P50's actually fitted in Cobh anyway when they were built? I have a photo somewhere around that time of a low loader with a mount on it being driven onto Cobh?

Comment

• An old grainy picture of one of the LPV's without its gun fitted.
                          I've no date for this picture but it has no hull number painted on it so could be during seas trials or delivery.

Attached Files

Comment

Guns have been removed for refurbishment when the ships themselves are also getting a refurb. Nothing Ordnance cant handle.

I appreciate that Ordnance can remove and install a gun. The question is are they happy to survey in the mount and correct it for a FIRST installation. ?

Comment

Curious because both are undergoing refits at the moment and Ciara has had her gun removed!
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• I thought eithne was next for decommissioning? followed by the peacocks, if so why would they swap a gun over from ciara when she has another 3/4 years left in her. Curious indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X