This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes.

Read either of the two very long threads dedicated to this topic.....

(sigh..why do I bother)

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• This is good news. I wonder who will build the ships? Hopefully we won't have to wait until summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Toby View Post
        This is good news. I wonder who will build the ships? Hopefully we won't have to wait until summer.
        Summer 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by kermit
          Summer???? HA HA HA.
          Do you have any idea how long it takes to build a ship once contracts have been signed these days. This hasn't even gone to tender yet!
          He was wondering who would build it, not when it would be built.
          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
            Yes.

Read either of the two very long threads dedicated to this topic.....

(sigh..why do I bother)
            Sorry,is this not one of them??:confused:
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post

In case you missed it in FAQ. This is what the navy are referring to as P61(though it looks more like an A/P 61 to me)
              Because APOD couldnt be bothered.

Comment

• Originally posted by kermit
                Summer???? HA HA HA.
                Do you have any idea how long it takes to build a ship once contracts have been signed these days. This hasn't even gone to tender yet!
                Much quicker than you would think. In New Zealand, Project Protector which consists of 7 vessels of 3 types, begun planning in 2002. Contracts were signed in July 2004. The last of the 7 vessels will be delivered in December this year. Planning for our ships has been ongoing for many years.(When did we start discussing it here?). Its an off the shelf design,(with modifications for our requirements) which should also speed things up in the building process.
                At least two of the three should be in service by the end of the decade.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  Okay according to the paper €80 million is going to be spent on 2 x 80 metre vessels. The Roisin and Niamh were commissioned in 1999 and 2001, they cost a total of €50 million. Hopefully inflation isn't that much and these will be state of the art naval vessels.
                  pardon my ignorance, but why is it? has the cost really jumped E30m? surely not if they are the same ships etc.... confused

Comment

• Inflation has increased 35% since 1999.

50m x 35%=67.5m. Considering the mental rate of increase in the last few months(average 4% a month since july), its better that they over estimate the figures, rather than under estimate them. The price will only be agreed the day the contract is signed. Economically a lot can happen in the meantime.

Remember also that the 2 ships will not be the same ship as the P50, they will be larger, improved versions. The size is not written in stone yet, its just a baseline.

Comment

• Holy moley it’s not long creeping up. I hope they spend a bit on comfort for those serving on them. There appears to be lot of talk of crews spending longer hours at sea these days and that DoD is comfortable with that. Well in return I hope they make the guys just as comfortable. I remember watching a program on US subs a few years ago and due the confined nature of the subs, crew got into bed as their replacement went to work. I think they coined it “bed warming”. Not all that nice. (have I just made it obvious that I am not a hardened soldier????

Comment

• Hotbunking is another term for that.
                        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• I have a question, is this new ship supposed to carry everything, vehicles stores ect that a mission like Liberia would require all in one go, or just the intial small amount of gear, with the rest ccoming in later, isn't that really whats going to decide it's size, if they want to bring everything, I think the MEKO might be a little on the small side.:confused:

how many vehicles do we have in Liberia now?, mowags ect, if thats not against opsec.
                          Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

• That is getting down to the root of the choices offered by the world's shipyards. Ireland doesn't necessarily have to offer helicopters for a peacekeeping mission, but I can't think of anything better to offer in a natural disaster.

With New Zealand's MRV, the ministry of defence asked their army what would be their preferred specifications as far as carrying capacity of men and material. Their General decided to carry what they brought to the Bosnia campaign: 250 men and 390 lane meters of equipment, an infantry group.

There have been critics of the size of their MRV, as it isn't large enough to carry a battalion, but only an infantry group.

Its up to the government to decide with consultations with the army and the navy and the air corps. Its up to Ireland to decide what they will offer in UN peacekeeping/humanitarian missions. There is no need to buy a ship too large.

The NZ enlarged infantry group the MRV can carry consists of 16 LAVs, 17 Pingauzers, 7 Unimogs, and a few other vehicles which can squeeze into 390 lane meters. Plus 33 20 ft containers. The ship can also carry 250 men, and 4 NH90 helicopters along with 1 Seasprite naval helicopter. Frankly, that isn't much.

As far as costs is concerned, NZ bought four smaller inshore patrol boats above the Irish order. Both countries will buy or have bought a MRV and 2 OPVs. 180 million Euros seems enough for these three, considering NZ spent about 210 million Euros, the difference being about 7 million Euros each for the four inshore patrol vessels.
                            Last edited by Sea Toby; 11 January 2007, 19:08.

Comment

• The DOD and DF (army and NS) are currently in talks with reference to the specifications for these vessels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitter Boy View Post
                                they also need to shell out a few bob

Going forward though, a nice increase in sea going allowance will be required.
                                Must you? I know you are bitter but must you?

Comment

Working...
                                X