Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should one of future replacement ships be a disaster relief vessel helping with humanitarian

Comment

• Originally posted by zone 1 View Post
      should one of future replacement ships be a disaster relief vessel helping with humanitarian
      what comes to mind with disaster relief is heli capability,and payload
      I'm pretty sure our new ships will have no choppers or that much in the way of cargo capacity
      so they won't be much use for relief work,but they would continue like our current vessels in having a limited capability,and obviously our lads would go out of their way to do whatever they could with the resources to hand

Comment

• Originally posted by warthog View Post
        what comes to mind with disaster relief is heli capability,and payload
        I'm pretty sure our new ships will have no choppers or that much in the way of cargo capacity
        so they won't be much use for relief work,but they would continue like our current vessels in having a limited capability,and obviously our lads would go out of their way to do whatever they could with the resources to hand
        i can understand that .. but should the government maybe look to build one for helping disaster relief or could eithne fill that roll

Comment

• honestly I just don't think we can afford it
          nice idea though if we could get the EU to fund it

Comment

• Originally posted by warthog View Post
            honestly I just don't think we can afford it
            nice idea though if we could get the EU to fund it
            true it always goes back to money in this little recession hit country .

Comment

• not enough cash to run the ones we need around our coast , sending one to the site of a disaster unless its in wales would be a non runner as by the time it got there all the other people have the assets in place to render the single vessel we send as a token presence.
              It would make us feel good but actualy be able to do very little.

Comment

• ye plus with all does sea days taken of our ships one would have to return home after 3 weeks god we need a goverment with balls

Comment

• Already discussed at length in the EPV thread. The EPV is to have a redundant capability to undertake humanitarian aid, as the need arises, in addition to its normal role as a patrol vessel.

Now if IMO still has a moderator in Naval any chance we can keep this discussion to OPV only?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Latest cut/paste answer from the Minister.

Deputy Seán Sherlock asked the Minister for Defence his plans for vessel replacement in the Naval Service; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [1994/10]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Willie O’Dea): A vessel replacement strategy for the Naval Service is currently in progress and a tender competition for a ship replacement programme commenced in 2007. The competition sought tenders for the purchase of two Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) and one Extended Patrol Vessel (EPV), with an option for up to two additional vessels. The process comprised two stages – Stage 1, a Request for Proposals and Stage 2, an Invitation to Tender.

During 2008, Stage 1 of the tender process was completed and, insofar as the OPVs are concerned, tenders were received in response to Stage 2. Following tender evaluation, a preferred bidder was selected last year and detailed and extensive contract negotiations are now close to conclusion. The decision to proceed with the final award of contract to purchase the OPVs will be subject to Government approval and agreement on funding. Subject to such approval, it is expected that the new vessels will be delivered for acceptance by the Naval Service on a phased basis from 2012. In relation to the larger EPV, Stage 1 of the competition has been completed. Stage 2 will not be initiated until the contract for the OPVs has been concluded.

This strategy combined with a continuous process of refurbishment and repair will ensure that the operational capability of the Naval Service is maintained at a satisfactory level. The acquisition of modern new vessels will ensure that the Service will be fully equipped to carry out its day to day roles in enforcing the State’s sovereign rights over our waters and our fisheries and meeting Ireland’s obligations in the area of maritime safety and security and fisheries protection.

Comment

• Subject to such approval, it is expected that the new vessels will be delivered for acceptance by the Naval Service on a phased basis from 2012. In relation to the larger EPV, Stage 1 of the competition has been completed. Stage 2 will not be initiated until the contract for the OPVs has been concluded.
                      So he expects to place an order this year (subject to Government approval - thats the hard bit!!!)

Comment

• The delivery date is quite hopeful, given they expect to take 30 months to build each.

Comment

• Interesting article on some current OPVs, for those like myself with limited knowledge anyway, in this magazine, by the way it may be downloaded free of charge from "options": http://content.yudu.com/A15fn9/SBIMa...sources/19.htm

Comment

• So come come folks, has anyone got any bets on ship builders ??

Damen, BVT etc

Comment

• same place as the P51 class were built appledore in England that's what id put my money on if i was betting man

Comment

• Originally posted by zone 1 View Post
                                same place as the P51 class were built appledore in England that's what id put my money on if i was betting man
                                Dose the Appledore Yard still construct naval vessels??

I thought it's just a yard now owned by Babcock Marine that services RN vessels.

Comment

Working...
                                X