This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by restless View Post
    I thought eithne was next for decommissioning? followed by the peacocks, if so why would they swap a gun over from ciara when she has another 3/4 years left in her. Curious indeed.
    Eithne is the next for replacement, however since Shaw wasn't planned there's now the question of how to man her I would guess. If so perhaps one of the Peacocks is going to be used for spares for the other and the crew moved to Shaw?

Comment

I thought eithne was next for decommissioning? followed by the peacocks, if so why would they swap a gun over from ciara when she has another 3/4 years left in her. Curious indeed.
      Eithne is slightly newer than the Peacocks and easier to crew. Comes down to which is more economic to run. Eithne has had a long refit last year, another few years in her yet.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
        An old grainy picture of one of the LPV's without its gun fitted.
        I've no date for this picture but it has no hull number painted on it so could be during seas trials or delivery.

If memory serves correctly the P50s were delivered without guns because some gobshite in the Public service was afraid the EU might withold funding because it was now classed as a warship(?) as opposed to a fishery protection vessel.

Comment

• I remember Roisin had a number of problems after delivery with the mounting of the Fire Control unit. (In addition to issues with Bilge keel falling off).
          When Niamh arrived the Fire control unit was mounted differently to Roisin. Niamh was delivered with armament, I think.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
            I remember Roisin had a number of problems after delivery with the mounting of the Fire Control unit. (In addition to issues with Bilge keel falling off).
            When Niamh arrived the Fire control unit was mounted differently to Roisin. Niamh was delivered with armament, I think.
            According to the link, Niamh wasn’t fitted to armament (DoD was suggesting Deirdre’s 40mm)

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              According to the link, Niamh wasn’t fitted to armament (DoD was suggesting Deirdre’s 40mm)
              If we stuck to what is true or gave an opinion on actual facts, we would avoid building up presumptions OR creating " Fake news/reporting ". Fact is all ships P 50 to P 62 were fitted somewhere with a 76 mm main armament. As regards GBS we have to wait and see.
              Bilge keels falling off ships may have been an instance of weld failure requiring re-tacking to a better standard or was a bilge keel completely missing as implied ? P 50 was severely tested in October 2004 while attempting to close Canadian SSK Chicoutimi running on the surface NW of Co. Mayo in the aftermath of an internal fire. P 50 had some damage and had to break off from her part in the required assistance. Her problems emanated from her attempt to proceed at speeds or courses beyond her seakeeping capabilities. The incident would have been a first live test of capability in storm force aftermath. Most ships in severe gales are ship minding , on non-destructive courses, with speed adjusted to maintain a safe response to Rudder (s).

Comment

• It COULD be that a new gun is to be fitted and there MIGHT be a contractual disagreement with otto re the cost of sending technicians over to install.

Comment

• Some nice photos from float out.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                    Interesting. It looks like the opening for a through deck gun system is in place, with a capping cover to keep out the weather.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                      Interesting. It looks like the opening for a through deck gun system is in place, with a capping cover to keep out the weather.
                      Can’t find the pic of the NS 76mm lift but here is a Danish one https://www.naval-technology.com/pro...tachment/fly4/

Comment

The 76 appears to be missing? usually fitted when in the shed, see all photos of previous builds. or is there some optical illusion.
                        Just had a look at the NS Facebook page, both JJ and WBY had their 76mm’s fitted for float out

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Can’t find the pic of the NS 76mm lift but here is a Danish one https://www.naval-technology.com/pro...tachment/fly4/
                          The picture is one of a gun system in transportable mode with stackable protection on the auto magazine/barbette below deck portion. The reason a quiet dock is required is to pass all of the lower structure through an opening in the deck just big enough and all lined up to match underdeck connections, and all surveyed in to the ships baseline and zeroed fore and aft.

Comment

• It could be nothing more then a supply delay, if the shipyard needs it's assembly building and the ship in it is ready to float, then get it out and move on to the next project, Appledores fitting out area is a drying out berth, the weapon can go in while she is sitting comfortably on the mud.IMHO
                            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• I notice one of the Peacocks is minus its 76. Nice view of the basin there. Work continues on the east tip too.

Comment

Working...
                              X