Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both items you discussed in your last post have already been covered on this site. Please read this thread in full.

Use the S***** F*******

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Ancient History and done unto death,,,
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
        Ancient History and done unto death,,,
        What the Search Function? Hardly from the looks of it!
        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• P20 class replacement(depending on Dept of Finance)
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Looks like the extension of Ireland's waters is no longer more imaginary than real - http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0406/9ne...36155,null,230
            Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

• The replacement programme for Naval Service vessels is under active consideration. As a general guide, the objective would be to replace vessels after approximately 30 years service, on which basis, three ships will fall due for replacement in the next few years. These are the LE Emer, commissioned in 1978, LE Aoife, commissioned in 1979, and LE Aisling, commissioned in 1980. A departmental study group comprising civilian and Naval Service personnel was established in 2006 to examine and report on a vessel replacement programme having regard to imminent replacement requirements. The group has submitted its report, on foot of which I will bring proposals to the Government in the coming weeks. All going well, the tender process will commence within the next few months with the expectation of placing a contract for the first of three ships early in 2008.
              The cost of the three new ships ranges from €160 million at the lower end of the scale to €190 million at the upper end.

Comment

• Important words....

"the first of three"

Good to hear. Surprising, considering there is an election round the corner.

Comment

• worth a look perhaps.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• http://www.dmkn.de/1779/ruestung.nsf..._konferenz.pdf

This may be of interest, although in German it contains some data and a couple of computer generated photos of the B+V Guardian and Sentinel.

IAS

Comment

• Nice to see the VT 90m vessel has attracted some sales....

Comment

• is there a misquote in the times today about the final figure for the three new ships??? it said a total of 80m euro, i thought it was 180m???? or is it a case of "ted i'm going mad" on my part

O'Dea to look for 3 new ships
                        Lorna Siggins, Marine Correspondent

Minister for Defence Willie O'Dea expects to secure final Cabinet approval this month for purchase of three new patrol vessels for the Naval Service.

Referring to the cocaine seizures off the southwest coast, Mr O'Dea said that it was a very good time to be looking at additional resources for coastal protection, and the Naval Service had an important role to play in this.

The LE Orla was involved in yesterday's continued search, co-ordinated by the Garda Síochána. The Revenue Commissioners, which has a customs patrol vessel, would also be looking for a review of its resource requirements very shortly, Mr O'Dea noted.

The Minister told The Irish Times yesterday that the Government was committed to the fleet upgrade, and he intended to present a memo to Cabinet "within the next couple of weeks".

The new vessels will replace the existing patrol ships, LE Emer, LE Aoife and LE Aisling, which are due to be decommissioned.

The Naval Service has recommended that one of the three replacements should be a larger vessel of up to 120m (394ft), which could provide humanitarian relief and troop support in any part of the world. It would also be designed for fishery protection duties in Irish waters.

Two additional vessels of about 80m (262ft) each would be slightly larger than the most recent builds - the LE Róisín and LE Niamh, the latter having been delivered in 2001. The total bill for all three new ships has been estimated at up to €80 million, but the Minister said yesterday that he was looking at expenditure of about "€30 million a pop".

Meanwhile, he made presentations of paintings to a number of sail training organisations yesterday in his capacity as chairman of Coiste an Asgard, the company responsible for the State's sail training brigantine, Asgard II.

Dublin Port, Dublin City Council, the Dublin Docklands Development Authority, the John F Kennedy Trust, and Waterford city and port, which hosted a leg of the 2005 tall ships race, accepted framed prints of Irish Tall Ships 2005 by Kenneth King.

© 2007 The Irish Times
                        Last edited by Guest; 4 July 2007, 12:58.

Comment

• You won't get a larger ship than the P 50 class for €30m at this stage.

Comment

• Well I hope they use better , thicker steel than they used for the last two. Those two ships won't have half the shelf life the PV's did.

Comment

• sure, but wasnt there a figure of E180 going about no so long ago? i may well have my wires X

Comment

• Originally posted by criodan View Post
                                sure, but wasnt there a figure of E180 going about no so long ago? i may well have my wires X

Your wires are uncrossed.
                                €160m to €180m was the figure mentioned a few months ago for three ships, with the larger expected to cost twice that of the smaller two. i.e, €80m to €90m for the larger Ship, €40m to €45m for each of the smaller(larger than P50) types.

Comment

Working...
                                X