Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To be honest, I don't believe that the NS will have helicopters until someone in government grows a pair and decides that the NS can aquire it's own helicopters, and recruit and train it's own air crew.......
    In the light of mature reflection I do not think the Air Corps are able to make the leap in their culture to operate a unit for the NS, in fact the reality appears that the Air Corps needs a seperate price waterhouse review all of it's own, and soon.
    +1
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by easyrider View Post
      Goldie,

I was disagreeing with Seanachie's point that the training required for heli handling on board an OPV is an enormous undertaking, using the comparable NZ OPV as a counter example and referring to the training courses run by the Royal Navy. You then brought up the state of the Seasprites and asked what helicopters the NZ OPVs might be using instead of them, to which I replied. It's not such a big deal. Nice Kiwi pic though

Just wondering: do you, or does anyone know, what are the dimensions of the aft deck on our new OPVs, that can be used for UAV ops or containers?
      I was being sarcastic.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turkey View Post
        To be honest, I don't believe that the NS will have helicopters until someone in government grows a pair and decides that the NS can aquire it's own helicopters, and recruit and train it's own air crew.......
        In the light of mature reflection I do not think the Air Corps are able to make the leap in their culture to operate a unit for the NS, in fact the reality appears that the Air Corps needs a seperate price waterhouse review all of it's own, and soon.
        Yet again the appararent inability of the AC to do all things aviationwise for other agencies has ,like a virus come to this thread.Whilst the AC may not be a model of perfection it does what it can with its resourses for its core activities.It is not a dedicated SAR ,air ambo,topcover vip travel agency and does its maritme recce with the Casas.If helis are essential for sea fishing protection why doesnt the SFPA get/seek them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          I was being sarcastic.

well if thats the only bird you can grab then no wonder you spend so much time on this site
          "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
          Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
          Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
            Yet again the appararent inability of the AC to do all things aviationwise for other agencies has ,like a virus come to this thread.Whilst the AC may not be a model of perfection it does what it can with its resourses for its core activities.It is not a dedicated SAR ,air ambo,topcover vip travel agency and does its maritme recce with the Casas.If helis are essential for sea fishing protection why doesnt the SFPA get/seek them.
            Don't be giving them ideas.
            This small Island already has too many navies, It doesn't need extra air forces too.

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
              The P50s are 78.8m in length. The new OPVs are 90m so with the existing afterdeck being around 5m (with a hatch and capstan in the way) You are talking about 15m(length) deck space id say at a guess.
              Big enough to fit 3 20x8 foot container...

Comment

• Originally posted by Turkey View Post
                well if thats the only bird you can grab then no wonder you spend so much time on this site
                Careful now.
                I've seen your missus, you haven't seen mine.

Comment

This small Island already has too many navies, It doesn't need extra air forces too.
                  Too late the SFPA has already put together the nucleus of a large estuary going fleet,see mmsi 250002442, I had understood they would do their thing by shorepatrol leaving the NS to deal with matters watery.
                  What now is the role of the CF Bradain Feasa?
                  In relation to air patrols,Were not the Brime,Danciing On Waves Claudia,Marrita Ann etc all intercepted without air support from the AC.Matters have moved on significantly since the Eithne was first conceived with AIS,RMP and VMS etc now in op making ship launched heli ops redundant for fisheries which is 90% of NS ops.

Comment

• I see an SFPA rib regularly working around the Inner Cork Harbour area also, seems to have appeared just recently.
                    I too was under the Impression that the NS would do the Work at sea while the SFPA people would cover the land based end, however maybe they are the victims of their own success.

Comment

• In relation to air patrols,Were not the Brime,Danciing On Waves Claudia,Marrita Ann etc all intercepted without air support from the AC
                      Sure were....the RAF were doing the job for them!!!!
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Just how many navies have we here,this is a list of State funded agencies who operate craft that comes to mind and is not exhaustive,feel free to post absentees,never thought there were as many.
                        Naval Service
                        Naval Reserve
                        Customs
                        Sundry Ports
                        Civil defence
                        Air Corps
                        ARW
                        Army eng/dive
                        Coastguard
                        Marine Ins
                        Garda W U
                        Sea Fisheries
                        Central Fisheries
                        E P A
                        Bord of Works
                        NMI
                        Coiste Asgard
                        Irish Lights
                        Fire Brigade

Please excuse any obvious awols

Comment

• The New Zealand Seasprites were new built aircraft and the Australians used refurbished airframes for theirs.
                          10 years old now it seems...and causing some problems

New Zealand is finding its five Kaman SH-2G Super Seasprite helicopters increasingly difficult to maintain, a new report has revealed ...

Note Helos now come under the control of the Air Force and not the navy....and the Kiwis are supposed to be progressive...I think not
                          Last edited by hptmurphy; 17 October 2011, 21:35.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                            Just how many navies have we here,this is a list of State funded agencies who operate craft that comes to mind and is not exhaustive,feel free to post absentees,never thought there were as many.
                            Naval Service
                            Naval Reserve
                            Customs
                            Sundry Ports
                            Civil defence
                            Air Corps
                            ARW
                            Army eng/dive
                            Coastguard
                            Marine Ins
                            Garda W U
                            Sea Fisheries
                            Central Fisheries
                            E P A
                            Bord of Works
                            NMI
                            Coiste Asgard
                            Irish Lights
                            Fire Brigade

Please excuse any obvious awols
                            R N L I ( shame on you)

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                              R N L I ( shame on you)
                              AFAIK the RNLI is not state funded
                              "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

• The RNLI is 100% funded from charitable donations. It recieves NO state funding as a matter of policy. (If it was offerred, they wouldnt take it).

Comment

Working...
                                X