This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sea Toby View Post
    Why the 170 million Euros difference between the Israeli corvette and the Irish OPV? Its not the price of steel.
    The extra cost are the weapons and communications systems & the fact that the Saar is built to military standards, whereas the LPV's are built to civilian standards.

Comment

• Post 206 should read REALISTIC contender
      and BTW, crew is 26 with room for up to 44 "passangers"
      Last edited by Pod; 26 August 2006, 23:59.

Comment

• Originally posted by ias View Post
        A question that someone may be able to help me with?

He also mentioned in the same quote, something that is probably pretty obvious to you naval types, but to this landlubber was interesting "longer vessels can smaller engines" for the same performance and presumably lower cost.

IAS
        I think he is referring to the fact that a ship's speed is a function not only of its engine power but also of its hull shape and waterline length.

For example a ship like EITHNE could be fitted with much bigger engines and not achieve an increase in speed but the same engines might drive her along a few knots faster if her length overall was increased?

I heard a story that she is slower than she might have been because the instruction from the Department at the time, once they accepted a helo-capable ship was required, was that she should be the smallest size possible. This bean counting may have cost her several knots of forward speed for little or no saving.

I hope the approach improves for any new ship build.

Comment

• In what way is my comment on the EITHNE flawed? I pretty much say that the smallest package (as required by DOD) was not the most efficient (i.e. slower)... Don't we agree on this? I would love to know if you think that that rumour is true, because if so, it is nearly inexcusable meddling in the design of the ship!

Comment

• Is there a definitive deadline for a decision on the replacement or will it go on the end of a very long finger ?

Comment

• No. Definite Deadline. Emer to be replaced 2008, Aoife 2009, and Aisling 2010. Its one of the points of the white paper that the Government are tied to.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• I posted this in the news section aswell, but I thought it might be ok for here too,

€100m vessel to boost navy strength

THE ship may have finally come in for the Department of Defence.

Yesterday Minister Willie O'Dea revealed his department is negotiating for one of the biggest ship replacement programmes in Irish naval history.

Mr O'Dea confirmed that the department is preparing for the decommissioning of three vessels over the next few years - and the possible introduction into the Irish fleet of a €100m multi-mission vessel that will dwarf existing patrol ships on the water.

He was speaking at Haulbowline Naval Base in Cork at a cadet commissioning ceremony.

He said that the number of ships ordered and their size will be dependent on negotiations with the Department of Finance in the coming months.

"They will come to the end of a 30-year lifespan which we take as the guideline for the life of a vessel," he said.

"We are committed to an eight-ship flotilla and we are committed to replacing ships."

Over the next three to four years, the Naval Service will see the LE Emer, LE Aoife and LE Aisling reach the end of their expected 30 year service lives. The Navy has already seen the introduction of two new ships in recent years - the LE Roisin and LE Niamh - at a cost of €50m. But the forthcoming acquisition programme will be the most expensive in Irish naval history.

Our picture shows a member of the Southern Brigade Army Band who took a turn under a hot sun during the 44th Naval Cadet Class. Cadets on parade after their commissioning ceremony at the Haulbowline Naval Base.
                Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

• What will a €100 m buy? A 100 m version of the Niamh / Roisin or a proper 'Blue / Green' ship?

Comment

• I cant help but be just a little cynical on this.
                    Replace Emer with the MPV @ !00 million and then have no money to replace the other two in the timeframe set out, but they wouldn't dream of doing something like that would they?

Comment

• Read the item again. 3 ships to be replaced. One of the replacements will cost an estimated €100m. The Dept are Committed to replacing the three older vessels.

The €100m only refers to one of the vessels, not all. 100million buys you a lot of ship. Roisin/Niamh only cost €25m in 1999/2001.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                        Read the item again. 3 ships to be replaced. One of the replacements will cost an estimated €100m. The Dept are Committed to replacing the three older vessels.

The €100m only refers to one of the vessels, not all. 100million buys you a lot of ship. Roisin/Niamh only cost €25m in 1999/2001.
                        Sweet - so we'll have 4 P51 class, 1 P61 class, 1 P31 class and 2 P41?

Would 7 P51 and 1 P61 be the ultimate goal? Desired? Preferable?
                        Meh.

Comment

• so what will €100 millon bucks buy you these days ?

Im glad we wont have to ask the dutch for their navy capability

Comment

• Originally posted by yooklid View Post
                            Sweet - so we'll have 4 P51 class, 1 P61 class, 1 P31 class and 2 P41?

Would 7 P51 and 1 P61 be the ultimate goal? Desired? Preferable?
                            8 ships is what the 2000 White Paper set the Fleet at. However, that Paper lapses in 2010, coenciding with the departure from service of the Last of the P20s. Nothing to say that the 2010 White Paper wouldn't set the Fleet at 12 ships. Requirements have changed since 2000, and the NS have demonstrated what they are capable of when given the correct tools for the Job.

Comment

• Originally posted by andy View Post
                              so what will €100 millon bucks buy you these days ?

Im glad we wont have to ask the dutch for their navy capability
                              I have no Idea what you are trying to say in that post. If I don't, then I'm fairly sure nobody else has a clue either. Would you care to explain your thinking better please in a logical manner?

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                                I have no Idea what you are trying to say in that post. If I don't, then I'm fairly sure nobody else has a clue either. Would you care to explain your thinking better please in a logical manner?

Could this be a reference to Dutch Naval support at the start of the Liberia deployment. Didn't they have a medevac heli available to recover any casualties to their ship? This was before shore based facilities were established?

Comment

Working...
                                X