This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting times for the NS. Hope the right calls are made
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• The question is will Brian Cowan sanction €100 M for a 'Warship' just before an election when he could spend that €100 M on cheap gimmicks to win votes.

Comment

• Warship? What warship? Humanitarian support vessel.

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
          Warship? What warship? Humanitarian support vessel.
          YES!!, and for whale consevation work aswell, but not a "warship" what ever that is we'll even call it LE huggytree, if we get it:redface:
          Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

• Read the text of the Minister's speech, which has been posted in the news thread. It makes no mention of the 30 year lifespan of vessels or NEW vessels, merely 8 vessel navy!

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              Read the text of the Minister's speech, which has been posted in the news thread. It makes no mention of the 30 year lifespan of vessels or NEW vessels, merely 8 vessel navy!
              no one said he mentioned either during his speach, just that he said it at Haulbowline.

Yesterday Minister Willie O'Dea revealed his department is negotiating for one of the biggest ship replacement programmes in Irish naval history.

Mr O'Dea confirmed that the department is preparing for the decommissioning of three vessels over the next few years - and the possible introduction into the Irish fleet of a €100m multi-mission vessel that will dwarf existing patrol ships on the water.

He was speaking at Haulbowline Naval Base in Cork at a cadet commissioning ceremony.
              I don't know, you saying they made up stuff he said?
              Last edited by mutter nutter; 8 September 2006, 20:10.
              Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Comment

• Originally posted by Orion View Post
                Could this be a reference to Dutch Naval support at the start of the Liberia deployment. Didn't they have a medevac heli available to recover any casualties to their ship? This was before shore based facilities were established?

Exactly it!

Comment

• He didn't say it in the speech, if it was seriously on the table (hopefully it is, and before the next election) he probably would have referred to it in the speech. If he doesn't say it in public (ie in from of the audience at the commissioning ceremony) he isn't committing himself to anything.

Comment

• There is the official speech, and there is the conversations with the media after. Its what he said, unless he issues a disclaimer.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• how much did the Kiwi MRV cost?, we probably wouldn't need the landing craft, so that may take the price down

Comment

• The Kiwi MRV would be unsuitable for our requirements, unless there were major modifications.

Originally posted by Sea Toby View Post

Keep in mind New Zealand capped the MRV to $100 million US. If the IPVs cost around $15 million US and the OPVs cost around $45 million US, 100+60+90=$250 million US for all seven ships.
                        $100,000,000.00 US = €78,894,697.14 EUR

Comment

• As I read between the lines the MEKO 200 MRV was too small, only 200 lane meters of vehicle space to meet the army's requirements. The New Zealand MRV has 403 lane meters of vehicle space, and this ferry type of vessel can be made larger. For example, the new Interisland ferry Kaitaki is 30 meters longer than the NZ MRV with the same beam.

Merwede(Tenix) won the bid for the NZ MRV over Damen Schelde(ADI) smallest Enforcer design, similar to the Dutch Navy's Rotterdam. At the smallest beam, there are three or four Enforcer designs with different lenghts. So it appears Ireland is interested in either one of these vessels for sealift purposes.

As I read the speech, it appears Ireland will be following New Zealand with one large sealift/patrol/training ship and two OPVs to replace the first three OPVs being discarded. I would fully support acquiring a proper MRV/LPD vessel. When not in use as a sealift vessel, it can be used for patrol duties if necessary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            There is the official speech, and there is the conversations with the media after. Its what he said, unless he issues a disclaimer.
                            He did issue a disclaimer. ' ..dependent on negotations with the Department of Finance..'. Therefore Willy can say .'Sure lads, I was all for it, but Crusher Cowan wasn't having any of it'

Sorry if I sound cinical, but I am rather bitter.

Comment

• I have to wonder how Important Lane Metres are to the Irish NS. From what I gather the ability to Carry TEUs, such as the armys Mobile Field Hospital, is more Important, in addition to a certain amount of Vehicles. The Time this Vessel could spend engaged in its sealift Duties, compared to its Normal Patrol duties would mean that its "Lane metres" would for the majority of time, not be in use.

However the MEKO idea of having a Large deck space would make more sense to me, than Internal volume. As an SAR on scene Co-ordination vessel for example. Eithnes Helideck would have been useful if it could safely land a Seaking size heli. It opens up so many more options. The C3 ability is another important asset. As it is Most Irish Naval vessels maintain a communications suite that assists it in becoming an On Scene Controller.

However a task that could be undertaken if suitably equipped would be evacuating the Island communities in times of inclement weather. Often the Problem is that the ferry cannot dock safely at the appropriate harbour. Navy RIBs are particularly suitable for landing safely where larger boats can not.

I am not claiming to Know everything about the requirements but Its obvious that Naval HQ know what they want already from such a ship. It may not be the same as the NZ requirements, but the Efforts made by Numerous Shipyards to design a suitable ship for them, provides Ireland with a number of "off the shelf" options.

Comment

• Is there not the danger in all of this that of finance sign off on 100 million for the MPV there may not be funds available to replace the other two for quite some time i.e. well beyond their 30 year lifespan- or am I being just a tad cynical here?

Comment

Working...
                                X