Thanks Thanks:  509
Likes Likes:  670
Dislikes Dislikes:  14
Page 16 of 107 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: OPV Replacement

Post Thanks / Like

Spanish Customs OPV - Suitable replacement?

This is a Spanish Customs vessel. Seems like a big enough hul for OPV replacement. Of interest are the size of the RIB's & the helo deck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Petrel at 72.5m(x 12 x 7.6) and 1600T is too small. The Ribs are the same as those recently introduced by the Irish Fisheries boards though.
    The Helideck, while useful for the Spanish customs, is not required for the Irish OPV, as the space required is for TEUs. I don't see the low design of the superstructure would appreciate the added inclusion of a few TEUs aft.
    It actually looks a lot like how the P30 class was originally envisaged.

More about the Spanish Customs service at http://www.gogibraltarsite.com/Aduanas.html
    Last edited by Goldie fish; 29th September 2007 at 14:44.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Preferably between Kirsty Gallagher's legs
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the tax take not as good as expected and a major problem (again) with the health budget, what chance of this going the way of medium lift heli contract?
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Post Thanks / Like
    Considering the Party in Power has already broken most of its pre election promises, I'd rather not think about it. With that in mind, I doubt the industry has much confidence in our DoD to go ahead with a major contract. It could put off many serious contenders from bidding.
    RFP Closing date later this month.
    Last edited by Goldie fish; 4th October 2007 at 06:17.

Post Thanks / Like
    At DSEi recently, VT had on display designs for its Offshore patrol vessels, including a 90m OPV based on the River class and on Order for the Coastguard of Trinidad and Tobago. The cost for the 3 ships and associated training and support is in the region of $300m(GB£150). Delivery of all three is expected between 2009 and the end of 2010.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    they look a bit like the p50 class
    There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really.

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    New Chilean Danubio IV OPVs:

80mx13.3m
    1800 tonnes
    max. speed 20 kts
    crew 30 (+30 others)
    range 8,000 miles

Being built in Chile to a German design (from Fassmer), the first two vessels in this class are said to cost just $25 million each (a little over €17 million, at the current exchange rate). Seems like a good deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    For a change Carrington, I agree completely.

Here is why.

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...&postcount=191

Great photos of the model there. Best I've seen so far.

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    For a change Carrington, I agree completely.

Here is why.

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...&postcount=191

Great photos of the model there. Best I've seen so far.

Quelle surprise! I thought you would object to the main gun (only 40mm), and a helideck on an 80m vessel. Amazing price though. The Chilean shipyard ASMAR is also building the new 94m Icelandic coastguard vessel, another Rolls-Royce UT512 design. Build price is €29.4 million. (There must be other costs involved?)

Post Thanks / Like
    If this is to be the OPV of the future its a little ironic really that Chile opted to buy and build the Eithne class many years ago but because it was a right wing dictator ship that the catholic church had some issues with it never came about , although it would have been financially benefical to the sate at the time.

Looks the part though but how would the remotness of the manufacturers affect the after sales service,,,can hardly see them being sent back to Chile whenever anything would crop up.

This would be the only problem I could see with such a vessel.
    Time for another break I think......

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    If this is to be the OPV of the future its a little ironic really that Chile opted to buy and build the Eithne class many years ago but because it was a right wing dictator ship that the catholic church had some issues with it never came about , although it would have been financially benefical to the sate at the time.

Looks the part though but how would the remotness of the manufacturers affect the after sales service,,,can hardly see them being sent back to Chile whenever anything would crop up.

This would be the only problem I could see with such a vessel.
    Same shipyard is building Iceland's new coastguard vessel....

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't object to a helideck, however I don't anticipate its use beyond sea state 6.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Dutch have just announced plans for their OPVs. 467m Euro for four ships.

Displacement: approx. 3,750 tons full load
    Length: 107,9 meters
    Beam: 16,2 meters
    Draught: 3,2 meters

The ships have a fancy new sensor suite and seem to be just what we're looking for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireplace View Post

The ships have a fancy new sensor suite and seem to be just what we're looking for.
    Too small for an EPV, Too big for an OPV.
    Not what we are looking for at all.

See This Link to see just what we are looking for.
    Last edited by Goldie fish; 21st December 2007 at 19:36.

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    I don't object to a helideck, however I don't anticipate its use beyond sea state 6.
    underneath the heli deck looks sheltered but hard to imagine the idea of them having the set up for a helo after our eithne and all the hassle we had..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireplace View Post

Is that the Merwede design?

http://www.merwede.com/cms1/index.php?id=220

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    That Merwede OPV/corvette is 1,500 - 2000 tonnes, but the Dutch OPV is said to be 3,750 tonnes. Wikipedia says it's officially classified as a frigate.

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Morocoo orders three SIGMA corvettes, similar to but larger than the Indonesian ships. This is from Aviaition Week:

"The Royal Moroccan Navy has signed the contract with the Damen Shipyards Group-owned naval shipbuilder on Feb. 6 in Casablanca. The customer has requested the overall contract value is not disclosed, but this is estimated to be around $1.2 billion. Morocco's order is for three Sigma-class multi-mission frigates: two 2,100-ton ships and one with a displacement of 2,300 ton that features additional command facilities (seen closest in the pic above). The contract is for the design, build and delivery by 2012 of three Sigma-class surface combatants that the Moroccans designate Multi-Mission Frigates.

The program means significant new business for MBDA, as all three ships are to be equipped with the French company's Vertical Launch MICA local area air defense missile system. The Sigma-ships will also be armed with MBDA-supplied MM40 Exocet surface-to-surface missiles and an Oto Melara 76-mm. main gun.

According to a Feb. 8 statement from Schelde Naval Shipbuilding, the contract "became effective after close cooperation and final negotiations with the Royal Moroccan Navy in a relatively short period, in order to realize its plans to modernize the fleet and extend its patrol capabilities.... The choice of systems was focused on achieving interoperability, for example in the area of communications systems, to allow Morocco pursue its future intentions on joint operations and missions with ships from NATO navies," Schelde says.

The Sigma-class Multi-Mission Frigates will be extended versions of the existing Sigma-type ships (four of which are being built for Indonesia) by adding one or two modules. The contract includes one 2,300-ton ship (designated Sigma 10513) of 105 m (344 ft.) in length and two 2,100-ton ships (Sigma 9813s) of 98 m (321 ft.) in length. The stretched variant will have additional facilities for command & control. It will have accommodation for 110 personnel. The other two ships will have a crew of 91.

The three combatants will feature a common, systematic arrangement including a state of the art Thales Nederland-supplied combat system with anti-air, anti-submarine, anti-surface and electronic warfare capabilities. The ships will have a twin Pielstick diesel propulsion plant, a flight deck and hangar for a medium-sized helicopter, and Eurotorp-supplied launchers for lightweight MU90 Impact torpedoes."

Morocco's earlier order for a French FREMM frigate seems to be in doubt.

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Janes says the three Moroccan corvette/frigates will cost less than $900 million, or €600 million, not the $1.2 billion that Aviation Week estimated.

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    From another naval site, posted about 10 days ago.

"Rumor has it, that Merwede is a strong contender in Ireland, both with the MRV and the OPV Falcon."

Anyone know what the state of play is? Is there a deadline for announcing a decision?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is impossible to say at this stage. Anyone who thinks otherwise is talking thru their transom.
    The NS is not looking for an MRV like the one Built for the Kiwis. Its looking for a patrol vessel that can do the other tasks. Merwedes MRV is an Army support ship that can do patrols.
    I'm guessing also that the difficulties experienced by the Kiwis with Canterbury hilighted the unsuitibility of a design like that for our purposes.
    But Nothing has gone to tender yet, those who knew what yards offered proposals are very few, and are not likely to be discussing it with people who might mention it on internet message boards, as this could lead to the whole tender process grining to a halt as another dockyard accuses the DoD of a breach of confidentiality.

If "Rumour had it" I would also have had it. I'm not being arrogant, I just am in a position to hear these "rumours". I only heard of the Merwede OPV when I googled them last week. Someone is Pushing an agenda on that site I'm guessing. The real rumours won't start circulating until the tendering stage begins, possibly in may.

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that, I was wondering when I came across that other post on Navweaps.

That Merwede OPV/corvette deisgn does look like it could fit the bill though. Did you see on their site where it says "The Falcon Class is based on a proven design still in service after decades, and has recently been updated according to lessons learnt by experienced users." Any idea what/where is the "proven design still in service after decades"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Its appears to be based on the Aker designed "Guardian" on which the Roisin Class, Vigilant Class and the KIWI OPVs are based on.

Last edited by Goldie fish; 10th February 2008 at 00:09.

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    That could be why it's rumoured to have the inside track? I think that 'rumour' on the other site might be from a Dutch source, so maybe some info. is leaking out at the shipyard end rather than from the NS?

Thread Information