No announcement yet.

Swords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats why they didn't issue them to us murph - imagine the damage lost overboard etc

Comment

It's only a matter of time before we see this in the field.....

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post

Whats the gas bottle for , the field kitchen ?
        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

I'd feel safer with THIS type of PLCE covering my back...

"Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Waht about issuing a cutlass on boarding parties for the men .. I think a cutlass was still used by the RN into the 50s , could be wrong or was it the US Marines

Comment

Apparently at the outset of WWI, officers on some RN ships sent their swords to the engine room to be sharpened. Even then they were preparing to fight the last war.

In the NS the sword is worn suspended from a belt which is worn under the jacket, the hilt being under the left elbow. In the RN the sword is carried in the left hand while suspended on two long straps hanging from the waist belt. It is said that the RN officers are in disgrace since the Spithead and Nore mutinies.
              Last edited by Flintstone; 21 August 2012, 16:55.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post

Oi S&S.....give me back my CEFO! Lol
                Cry "havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war!

Comment

Originally posted by Flintstone View Post
                  Apparently at the outset of WWI, officers on some RN ships sent their swords to the engine room to be sharpened. Even then they were preparing to fight the last war.

In the NS the sword is worn suspended from a belt which is worn under the jacket, the hilt being under the left elbow. In the RN the sword is carried in the left hand while suspended on two long straps hanging from the waist belt. It is said that the RN officers are in disgrace since the Spithead and Nore mutinies.
                  I often wondered why some in the BA wear the sword under the greatcoat.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Slightly related: Do RDF officers get swords? And if not, why not?

Comment

Army Reserve and Naval Service Reserve officers may carry swords on ceremonial parades
                      Cry "havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war!

Comment

Originally posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
                        Not only do RDF officers have swords, many have even been seen using them.......

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Flintstone View Post
                          In the NS the sword is worn suspended from a belt which is worn under the jacket, the hilt being under the left elbow.
                          The Air Corps also wear it this way and also with old Army dress uniforms of the 1930s although not as high up.
                          Last edited by almaza; 21 August 2012, 19:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
                            Isn't that akin to giving them a map? Only to be done in extremis, and then under the supervision of an NCO / WO?
                            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Is a PDF officer issued a sword or are they drawn from stores? I know RDF officers can buy theirs is it dont the same in the PDF and the cost recouped in the uniform allowance?
                              Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic-Warrior View Post
                                Is a PDF officer issued a sword or are they drawn from stores? I know RDF officers can buy theirs is it dont the same in the PDF and the cost recouped in the uniform allowance?
                                Its not personel issue but an Officer can buy a sword if they want.

Comment

Working...
                                X