No announcement yet.

Swords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam Browne costs about €200 euro now. There is an issued one available that is made in Pakistan AFAIK but is of low quality. Gloves are about €20 also.

The PT gear and track suit in the Cadet School costs around €100.
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by thedollar View Post
      The least expensive I think also hold the contract for SD1's I think. Acorn?
      all I can say is ask a DF piper about acorn. They'll tel you all you need to know.
      Last edited by northie; 22 August 2012, 23:38.

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
        Sam Browne costs about €200 euro now. There is an issued one available that is made in Pakistan AFAIK but is of low quality. Gloves are about €20 also.

The PT gear and track suit in the Cadet School costs around €100.
        A good Sam Browne will set you back €50-100 more that. A top end gieves& hawkes as worn by the BA is £450!

Comment

Originally posted by Shaqra View Post
          Just for the craic I dug out my original list of items required to be purchased out of the initial uniform allowance (don't ask me why I still had it) - it was vouchered so you had to submit a cert from the adjutant to be able to claim the allowance even though the allowance was a fixed amount.

Superfine Uniform (SD No 1) x 1 (tailor made)
          Greatcoat x 1 (tailor made)
          Uniform shoes brown x 2 pairs
          Gloves brown x 1 pair
          Uniform cap x 1
          Sam brown x 1
          Holster brown leather x 1
          Trenchcoat x 1 (later became an issue item)
          Shirts x 4 (could be purchased from stores on repayment)
          Tie x 2 (also could be purchased from stores on repayment)
          Pullover green x 2
          Dress uniform x 1 (Tailor made)
          Dress uniform cap x 1
          Shoes black patent x 1 pair

plus ties, bow tie, SD belts, green socks etc, etc, etc.

Let's just say the allowance didn't come anywhere near covering that lot ! At the time you even had to purchase your unit markings on repayment.

And no - I'm not going to say when this was - suffice it to say that my initial uniform allowance was in Pounds !!!!

Lads

The shoes, gloves, cap, shirts, tie, pullover, green socks, are all issued free its only the superfines that have to be paid for. The sam can be claimed back seperately with a receipt and a letter from CO that you indeed have a sam...

The initial uniform takes up all or most of the initial allowance.

Comment

The "lanyards" he is referring to are not lanyards, they are Aiguillettes. My last one cost me over €80 and I believe they are more again now.
            I thought as much , the Taosieachs and Presidents , ADC wear Aguillettes but at the states expense.

is DPM on issue or on repayment?

Is the repayment a salary deduction or an upfront once off deduction?
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

is DPM on issue or on repayment?

Is the repayment a salary deduction or an upfront once off deduction?
              Depends on what you are looking for. Shirts, trousers, smocks, boots etc are on issue as is a beret but you buy the cap badge, rank sliders etc.
              The clothing stores administers the charging of it through the MIF and OPS pick up on it and reduce your net pay by that amount at the next pay day

Comment

How is it that a thread about swords on the naval forum turns into a discussion about the cost of an army officer's uniform?

Comment

Originally posted by Flintstone View Post
                  How is it that a thread about swords on the naval forum turns into a discussion about the cost of an army officer's uniform?

You've a fair point....maybe time to split the thread, and post it in Army Forum?
                  Cry "havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war!

Comment

Anybody got an up to date costing on the NS Officers Sword? I note the Irish supplier only advertises the Army & AC Swords....does that mean it has to be sourced elsewhere?
                    Cry "havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war!

Comment

Blame swifty. Little after post 17 is related to anything naval.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

H
                        ow is it that a thread about swords on the naval forum turns into a discussion about the cost of an army officer's uniform?
                        you'll get used to it...Honkies will try to hijack anything they feel inferior about!

its a size issue in this case!
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                          H

you'll get used to it...Honkies will try to hijack anything they feel inferior about!

its a size issue in this case!
                          I thought the Naval sword was 2 inches shorter?
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                            Where is Gen Collins sword (if any) on display,certainly does not appear to be Nat Mus and at that I do not recall any sword exhibits/photos with any of the 1916 combatants or 1918/21 participants.
                            Found the Reference JP Duggans book refers to De Valera advancing with sword drawn!

Comment

I thought the Naval sword was 2 inches shorter
                              Size is not everything as you well know,,,,

Comment

Senior NCO uniforms from PO up were tailored by louis copeland in the early 80's.

Comment

Working...
                                X