Poppy Day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunner Who?

During my lifetime I rediscovered my grandfather's history and service in the Dublin Fusilers(aka as RDF)
    I sometimes dreamed that someday a Company or a Battallion of the Irish Army would parade under arms with fixed bayonets ,with National Colours to the front and march to the War Memorial in Island Bridge. There to present arms and salute all those ordinary men who have been forgotten so long by all of us. For they too gave their lives as professional soldiers in the cause of peace and freedom. Who of us would have done different?

Nice idea, why not.

Comment

Are there many military cemetaries in Dublin. I would love to visit a few of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua
        Royal British Legion 26 South Frederick Street (between Kildare Street & Dawson Street) Ph: 6713044.
        Thanks Josh :wink:
        I dont have an alcohol problem, im just a social butterfly

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner Who?
          One day it might be possible to wear them again.
          One day, but after 30 years cruel war it might be too early.
          Too much pain too much hatred.

?
          If the Government consider its OK to commemorate 1916 again, why not commemorate the Brave Irishmen who fought in 1914-1918 also? Many went out there with the same idealogy as the participants in the easter rising, believing that, if they fought this war for the King, then it would be finished sooner, and the Irish Home rule bill, which had been stalled in parliment as a result of the war, could have become a reality...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Wear a Peace Poppy!

I would never wear the Red Poppy of the British Legion as it also commemorates British army members sent to Ireland to murder during the War of Independence.

However, I strongly believe that the dead of the World Wars should be remembered and proudly at that.

Thus, I would have no problem at all wearing the white Peace Poppy which has been around in Britain since 1926.

More info: http://www.ppu.org.uk/poppy/new/index_frame.html

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
              If the Government consider its OK to commemorate 1916 again, why not commemorate the Brave Irishmen who fought in 1914-1918 also? Many went out there with the same idealogy as the participants in the easter rising, believing that, if they fought this war for the King, then it would be finished sooner, and the Irish Home rule bill, which had been stalled in parliment as a result of the war, could have become a reality...
              members who are not aware might be intrested to know that members of the O.N.E UK( organisation of national ex-servicemen ) and I.U.N.V.A. (irish united nations veterans association ) have being paradeing on the rememberence day parade in london for many years now alongside irish regiments representing and remembering all irishmen who fought and died in all conflicts throughout the world .

'' At the going down and coming up of the sun, we shall remember them ''.

Comment

Originally posted by bsloe
                I would never wear the Red Poppy of the British Legion as it also commemorates British army members sent to Ireland to murder during the War of Independence.

However, I strongly believe that the dead of the World Wars should be remembered and proudly at that.

Thus, I would have no problem at all wearing the white Peace Poppy which has been around in Britain since 1926.

White Poppys are a cop out. It would be better if you did not wear any.

Comment

#

It makes me sad that some people still feel this way. So much for the peace process.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Phucking ripping.

Comment

Originally posted by rod and serpent
                      Are there many military cemetaries in Dublin. I would love to visit a few of them.
                      Many Irish cemeteries have graves associated with the military particularly in garrison towns. There are 23 WW1 CWGC graves in Clonmel for instance and loads of earlier ones of soldiers and their families.
                      sigpic
                      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                      My favourite moment was when the
                      Originally posted by hedgehog
                      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

And some **** thought I was supporting the British rule in Ireland....at least i explained my opinions for a casualty department in Clonmel!
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                          #

It makes me sad that some people still feel this way. So much for the peace process.
                          I'm sorry if you have a problem with me expressing my rejection of the red British Legion poppy to commemorate the Irish dead of the world wars. I just wouldn't wear one as I don't feel it is a suitable symbol considering all the baggage that it comes with.

That's is why the red poppy, once relatively popular in the 1920s and 1930s, declined in popularity in Ireland. At the time it was wedded to the "king and country" message which many people found difficult to reconcile with the political realities of an independent Ireland.

Many people today reject the red poppy as it serves to glorify Britain's involvement in Iraq.

I want to see the Irish dead of the wars remembered. That is why I have compiled a list of all the 98 dead of my home town (http://www.ballinasloe.org/articles/article.php?ID=54). I would like school students in the town to learn that the WWI directly affected the place and was not some faraway event. I would like my townspeople to know about their town's loss in WWI.

Simply parading around with red poppies will not achieve that and by insisting on the red poppy, you are simply putting off any real reevaluation of Ireland's role in the wars.

Comment

Many people today reject the red poppy as it serves to glorify Britain's involvement in Iraq.

Once again another excuse, an a la carte approach to the shameful way a generation of Irish man and women have been treated.

I wear my poppy in comemeration of every Irish -and others- soldier, sailor and airman who have lived and died in the persuit of democracy and freedom.

Comment

There should be an Irish symbol to recognise all the people who have died in war (both our own wars, other peoples wars and DF dead). Its appalling that there isn't one.

I can see why may Irish people would not wear a red poppy. I have on occassion. Its a simply to remember the death of the British armed forces and Irish people have a long history of both serving and attacking them.
                              Last edited by DeV; 11 November 2005, 17:32.

Comment

I wear my poppy in comemeration of my Grandfather who served in the Irish Guards, also in commemeration of L/Cpl Ian Malone and Pte Lee Callaghan both Irishmen who were killed in action in Iraq.

RIP

Comment

Working...
                                X