No announcement yet.

Foreign Naval Visits 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The berth was the worst in the port, behind a mountain of scrap metal, beside the sewerage works and boy does it smell. I saw some of the crew returning from shore leave. The nearest bus stop is about 15 minutes walk away and that walk will take you through a travellers encampment on both sides of the road with all of the usual rubbish scattered all about. The berth however gets full marks for security only one way in, Garda Checkpoint plus one RN rating with a hand held radio( I presume he was there to identify crew returning from leave). The only part of the ship visible from the public road was the bow and the upper part of the superstructure. To photograph the whole ship I had to go the ferry terminal on the north side of the river.

The attached jpg shows how close the ship was to the sewerage works. The concrete pens in the foreground are full of foul smelling shit.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by B Inman; 2 March 2005, 23:42.

Comment

Saw a French vessel just up from the Asgard II on John Rogersons Quay. Didn't catch pennant number, just saw the flag.
      If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

The French Vessel in Dublin during the week was the very nice looking P676 of the Flamant class.

If I remember correctly unlike that photo it had 2 stripes running at a slant towards the bow, one red, one blue. Very fetching :D

Cant find much info in English.

Comment

Attached are JPG's of the French ship Flamant alongside at Dublin. Armament was 2 .5 HMGs.
          Attached Files

Comment

the Flamant are part of the OPV54 class of which there are three.She is 54m in lenght and is designed to operate out to 200km...Crew of 21.

Janes make no entry on this vessel and the French Navies website is beyond my french language capabilities .
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

they have been in service since 1994 and seem to perform as public offshore protection force...part of the navy I presume without being technically classed as warships.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

One of these type was in cork some time ago working as comms relay for some Yacht race...
                Very sleek,almost motor yacht like,painted grey. The tinted windows on the bridge are the business..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Cork's quays sees the visit of the Belgian minehunter Bellis (M916)which was involved in the rescue of passengers when the "Herald of Free Enterprise" capsized off Zeebrugge back in 1987. She will be open to the Public tomorrow from 2pm to 5pm.

Great website by the way..check out this ships photo gallery!

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

What a shitty berth for H.M.S Ilustrious, and having visited the ships web site there is no mention of their visit to Dublin . Maybe they found nothing ilustrious about the visit .
                    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Poor feckers stuck beside the sewerage works.
                      Some really classy photo's around of all the ship keep it up.
                      Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Originally posted by B Inman
                        Attached are JPG's of the French ship Flamant alongside at Dublin. Armament was 2 .5 HMGs.
                        Looks like the Q M on duty got a bit a bit of a sun tan and does that look like a shot gun wepon he is armed with ?

Comment

Originally posted by Laners
                          does that look like a shot gun wepon he is armed with ?
                          Looks like it to me!
                          Confined spaces on ship and all that maybe its more effective?
                          Haven't got a clue about ships so im only guessing.
                          Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

He probably heard it was one of the favoured weapons around Dublin and decided to even things up a bit. He's probably a mech...and thats not a suntan.

Comment

Murph where is your sense of humour , we know it is not a suntan , especialy when you consider the location of the photo .

Comment

Have you been in Dublin lately....he's more like some of the natives than he is a french seaman....he also resembles a lot of mechs I knew prior to a good wash!

Comment

Working...
                                X