Foreign Naval Visits 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Naval Vessels in Cork?

Spotted the two of them as I drove in to the city. Shit pic sorry...
    Attached Files

Comment

finally!a navy smaller than our own- only the 2 ships you say?
      "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Interesting. Might skip down for a look.
        Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
        Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
        do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

maybe they are sending some crew to kinsale, major naval activity there this weekend
          I also believe the brits are sending a ship, if you are in cork head to kinsale this weekend??

Comment

Kingston Class MCMs...supposed to have very poor sea keeping and are generally dislike by their crews 12 in service.
            Displacemnet.962 tons
            lenght 55.3 metres
            Beam 11.3
            draught3.4
            speed 15kts
            Range5000 kts at 8kts.
            Armament.1x Bofors 40/60
            2x12.7mmm machine guns
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Actualy Multi Purpose Patrol Vessels and retro fitted for MCM duties and a host of other duties , not actualy minesweepers . The Canadians use them for coastal patrol work etc .
              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

I caught a few "good" photos of them last night. Moored stern to stern. Design seem to be based on Oil Rig support ships. Odd choice with the Bofors 40/60(didn't look like a powered mount) and the .5 behind the main armament on the bridge wing.

Those visiting are HMCS GOOSE BAY and HMCS SHAWINIGAN.

I am surprised to see them this far from home without some form of support ship though.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

How in the name of jaysus could you operate an L/60 aboard ships without power mountings....its a mark 5 mounting so that might be the answer.

Sorry laners...I was only quoting Janes and they have it classed as an MCM vessel.
                  They crossed the atlantic earlier this year as part ofa UK deployment ...So the support vessel maybe still in the UKas I'm sure that there wwere more than two involved in the deployment,
                  Warship International Fleet Revue did a feature on it earlier on this year.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Its one of the old french type mountings,with the Gun in a Bathtub...I'm pretty sure I saw traversing handles...
                    Either way. For a relatively modern warship,where comparable ships use 25mm or 30mm, the Vintage,calibre and type is unusual.

Comment

the Niamh passed by 2 of them when she was in toronto last year
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here they are,taken last night at high tide. 704 Shawinigan and 707 Goose Bay.
                        Attached Files

Comment

You two should stick em up on the new gallery

Comment

Why has some thing so small and under equipped got two funnels...given its larger than a PV but smaller than eithne?

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
                              Why has some thing so small and under equipped got two funnels...given its larger than a PV but smaller than eithne?
                              That's to allow for the extra space between the funnels and the after deck to accomadate cargo and container/ modules for the various roles these ships are desinged to do.

Comment

Like you mentioned earlier Murph about these ships not being very seaworthy I would agree just looking at the photos, it looks like they ride high in the water like the old Ton class sweepers . In all fairness I think the P 50 class is about as good as you can get in it's class and looking at similar ships in other Navies it is way ahead of them all . Eithne on the other hand should get the award for the ugliest looking ship ever built .

Comment

Working...
                                X