No announcement yet.

New Mowag Piranhas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the best of my knowledge the plan is for the cav units in each bde to be equipped with 2 mrv's and 3 crv's each.How they will be deployed is usually from within those units.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Hmm.. I may get my grubby hands on one eventually so. The Overseas deployment will severely hinger operations though. Its one thing to Train on these machines once, but you need to be out there regularly. Difficult to keep crews up to speed when most of the vehicles are overseas.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Chicken Counting

Hi Apod , so if i were to do a bit of addition we will find our forces have gone from 16 x AML-20s and mb 19 x AML 90s to a nicely stretched force of 9 x CRVs and 6 x MRV.
        Thats great , and Willie wants to help out the Liberians too as well as partaking in the Euro BG's.
        Somebody give that man a calculator and a lesson in common sense!
        He had better start pushing a bit harder for a proper complement of vehicles to allow for the Cav to do its job and leave some wiggle room for "unforseen" events.

Regards

Måk

Comment

Ah now the Panhards are still operational(some 1964 Vintage)...and will be kept in spares for another 2 years at least....
          Thats two years to make a decision.
          Those 65 Armoured vehicles that were supposed to be the LTAV are still required by the way. Nothing changed in the meantime.

Comment

Hi Mak,
            I dont think that the cav mowags will be the only ones evetr bought for them.I would guess the plan would be to purchase more of each type as finance becomes available.Dont forget that the initial purchase of mowags for the whole defence forces was only 40 and was built from there.:tri:
            as for the ltv's Goldie is right there is still a requirement for them and seeing as how they were testing armoured hummers recently i would say it is still on the cards.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I might be rehasing old stuff here but here I go.
              There is an immediate requirment to replace the Panhard fleet as soon as possible and this is already happening (well hopefully anyway) with the purchase these new mowags for the cav but a hell of a lot more are going to be needed as has been said these mowags will spend very little time of any in the country.
              My view is that although a 30mm cannon is small enough its fine. Close protection and that is fine you dont need much more, but if you do meet a bigger force than expected, would it not be benefical to have an ability to hit back hard and then as you do so make good you break contact, say for example a mounted Javlin system our else have one on board with the mounted element or else the old reliable, 84mm
              The requirement for the LATV is still alive and kicking from what Ive heard its just that what was offered to the DF on tender did not exactly meet what they required.
              Last edited by Thorpe; 17 March 2006, 15:13.
              Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
              http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

Hi all
                Is this 30mm a mag fed or belt fed? If this is Rarden all over again, it's a waste of space. Another calibre for the Qs to mess with...any idea why the AML20s couldn't have been kept on for a while longer?
                regards
                GttC

Comment

From the Oto-Melara Site:

Oto Melara two-man, power operated turret armed with a 25 or 30-mm automatic cannon, a 7.62-mm coaxial machine gun, and two elevation controlled TOW missile launchers.

The turret is built with ballistic aluminium alloy and additional steel armour plates to reach the required protection level.

The new HITFIST® fire control system together with the TOW guidance set allows engagement of targets by day and night; the electrical, fully digital servosystems and the line of fire stabilization ensure a high accuracy of fire.

Crew consists of two men who sit side by side in the turret: the commander on the left, the gunner on the right.

A single man can fully operate the turret.

The main armament is an automatic cannon 25 or 30-mm, electrically controlled for elevation, traversing and firing operations; feeding is through belted rounds housed in two ammunition containers.

Assembly and disassembly of the weapon does not require special tools, thus making control and servicing operations possible in unfavourable conditions.

Cannon control is through the HITFIST® fire control system which includes a sight with eye-safe laser rangefinder and a thermal night vision camera.

A 7.62mm machine gun is coaxially mounted to the main cannon.

Two TOW armoured launchers are side-mounted on the turret with remote control (Digital Missile Guidance Set) integrated in the HITFIST® a fire control system.
                  "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Their site says the 30mm is a McDonnell Douglas Bushmaster II.
                    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• Originally posted by FMolloy
                      Their site says the 30mm is a McDonnell Douglas Bushmaster II.

Comment

• Its definitely a Bushmaster - same basic cannon as the Bradley, just a different caliber.

Its belt fed, electrically driven and switchable between HEI and AP - 180 ready rounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by California Tanker
                          30mm seems to be the max armament used by armoured recce around the world

120mm that I'm aware of: The Germans have heavy recon companies which intermix Spahpzr Luchs with Leopard tanks. Then again, ever since WWII the Germans have believed in having their recon forces able to brush aside enemy recon/counter-recon screens and have traditionally been heavily armed.

NTM

Wishful thinking unfortunately. The Germans took all the heavy recce Leopard IIs out back in 1998 and have gone over to the concept of light but apparently more mobile recce troops. Even the recce platoons in the battalions have gone - the battalion troops themselves are now expected to carry out their own "tactical" recce as an extra task.

The recce element in the German Army is now divided between the A-class troops, who for the recce battalion at division level and the recce squadron at brigade level all get the Fennek, and on the other hand the B-class troops, who get the Luchs. There are serious concerns from tactical commanders though after both the Fennek and Luchs had problems finding sufficient gaps to slip through opfor's lines in manoevres.

Brings us back to doctrine. Do you want recce troops to be able to fight (And against what?) as well or should they only do recce? Seeing as we have (Light) infantry brigades which are not expected to face assaults by massed heavy armour (I don't think anyway), do we really need them to be able to fight heavy armour? I reckon the vehicles at hand are enough to deal with potential enemies. My problem is more with the fact that they are only getting 15. Should all Cav Sqdns not get them?

Comment

• The Germans took all the heavy recce Leopard IIs out back in 1998 and have gone over to the concept of light but apparently more mobile recce troops
                            I find myself in the unfamiliar position of sitting corrected.

NTM
                            Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

• maybe all sqns will eventually get them as replacements for the AMLs....whenever that happens
                              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• On the subject of MOWAGS, is the current turret on the MOWAG stabilised? Only recently a friend of mine reckoned the turret is dangerous and the DF cannot fire a .5 from it because it moves to much when the gun is fired?

Comment

Working...
                                X