Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sgt
    Post Thanks / Like

The Best Firing Range in the Country

What do you lads think is the best firing ranges in the country? I’m assuming the Curragh is the finest, although I have never been there. Kilworth in my opinion is a great place, but a little bleak.

Give you opinions.

Gunnery Sgt.
    Post Thanks / Like
    curragh does the job fairly well....
    Pussyand Gunsmoke.......live by one, die by the other, and love the smell of both in the morning!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never fired in Finner but I do think that the Rifle Range in the Curragh is the best 4 the shooting it's like a golf course in the summer Gormonston is good aswell when the 200-100 doesn't flood.

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finner for me, ive fired on a few but you can't beat the home comforts

Private
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets go a'huntin!

Plenty of wabbits to shoot at in Finner!! Does that count?!
    Courage is being scared to death, but saddlin'up anyway - John Wayne

Sgt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man don’t talk to me about wabbits in Finner. The all army last year was like an obstacle course. Little wabbit holes everywhere. The camp too is just full of the little basterds. But they’re just so cute.

On the subject of wild life, we were in Kilcorgan, outside Cahir in Tipp, and a fesent walked out on to the firing point and we tried real real hard to get him to move, but he ran in front of a bullet. The officers in Kilham Barrack had fesent that night.
    The next day 5 deer ran across the range, but we had just finished firing so there was no venison on the menu that night.

Kilworth was fixed up nicely for the Southern brigade shoot and all army this year. It really is looking very well, with virgin targets and tidy butts.

Private
    Post Thanks / Like

HA!

we tried real real hard to get him to move, but he ran in front of a bullet
    Thats one of the best god damn quotes i've heard in a long time! Tryin to be all pacifist.....The deer must have been watchin the first time and went all suicidal!!:D
    Courage is being scared to death, but saddlin'up anyway - John Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Curragh ranges are the best i've been to, except when the sheep decide that the best grass in front the targets!:D

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    ah the rabbits! had to come up somewhere at some stage. never seen a place like it there are thousands of the buggers. ive heard of a few guys who ended up on crutches beacause of their holes. My da remembers a time when they had mixematoses they had to go around shooting them i think. nothing like a bit of rabbit stew

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    they're all the same. a firing range is a firing range is a firing range is a firing range is a....you get my point.

Post Thanks / Like
    The rabbits in Finner are wee f*ckers. Doing a recce patrol in the dark can be dodgy enough.....doing it in Finner you have to look out for 100's of rabbit holes. One of the lads on our course fell foul of a rabbit hole and had to get taken to Sligo hospital.

I have only fired on the range in Finner before so I cant comment....I dont think the 25 yard range inside Castlebar barracks counts!

Curious George
    Have to disagree there Inf Boy, there are some ranges that are just a pleasure to fire on and some that are desperately shite. Tralee sucks, whereas Kilworth is much better quality.

The only fault I'd have with Kilcoran is that the stones on the firing point are sharp and scarce. It was like diving on concrete. Not good.
    Last edited by Curious George; 30th April 2003 at 13:53.

Sgt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by FCA Trooper
    they're all the same. a firing range is a firing range is a firing range is a firing range is a....you get my point.
    I could not DISAGREE with you more. Have you visited many ranges FCA Trooper?

Some ranges have stones on the firing point while others have grass. It’s much easier to get down on grass and be comfortable for shooting.
    Some ranges are on the side of a mountain (i.e.; Tralee, Kilcolgan) while in Kilworth, Finner and the likes of Oranmore you are firing in a straight line. This can really affect you points of aim, holding and zeroing of the rifle.
    The condition of the butts also determines your ability to improve your firing and accuracy. If the targets are in poor condition or if there aren’t any patched for pasting how will you know how to adjust you sight on the rifle?

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    every range has it own pros and cons, in Kilworth you are still firing up hill a little. On number five range where the Plates were ran last sunday the left hand side is more level than the right, still it beats the range in Tralee any day, last time i ran the plates there during the Col Barry cup it was like running trough a swam up to the firing point.

Post Thanks / Like
    The curragh is pretty good. Kilcoran is crap because most of the mechanisms for the targets are ready to fall apart and when it rains the water runs right into your eyes when you're in the butts trying to indicate on a target. The various indoor ranges are all the same except for that hi-tec one in the curragh with the all the electronics.

sparks
    Carna outside athlone is a very good range( flat out to 600), only problem is when fishing boats on lough Ree go into the area behind the butts and you have to stop.
    The range at oranmore is good as well.
    Finner has a problem with rabit holes.
    The curragh is fine but you need extra bodies to
    warn civies on the road behind the empacment.
    Gormonston is fine.
    Kilworth is good if a bit of a distance from the
    rest of the country.
    Tralee is a pain in the nuts.
    Kilworth you are firing up hill but think of the person taking the scores in the buts, up and down staires after every detail.

Basically every range is different some needing
    more work than others, but we are lucky to still have them at all.

Sgt
    Post Thanks / Like
    ya i mean kilcoran, with only one L

Tralee is closed? About time. It a disaster of a place, have you ever seen butts as bad in your life.

Anyone from the 15th care to comment.
    Last edited by iron arse; 30th April 2003 at 14:06.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the comment re the pheasant and believe it to be completley true.

the same birdie strayed across the range the previous week when we were in kilcoran but the lads on thre firing point never even saw him.The deer are a common sight but this was the first free range (hee Hee) pheasant i had seen..
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Post Thanks / Like
    No 2 Range in the Curragh is Probably the Best (the 24 Tgt Range) Absolutely Flat and Lovely soft Grass on the Firing Points. Gormonston is also dead flat but it does have a tendency to Flood, and has quite possibly the Clenest butts in the Country even if they are a bit lower than other ranges. Also the Rabbits are a problem there aswell (little Feckers if youre not getting their Shite all over you you're tripping up on their holes.)

Kilbride ranges are terrible dead sheep all over the Place. Marshy Ground (Great fun in the Ebde Falling Plates) The Buts are full of Crap. The Firing Point is either Mud or Pebbles there's no steps up to the 300 firing point (for the Moving Practice) there's only 4 targets per level so you need extra bodies to run the range. Even getting the targets from the Shed to the Racks is a Nightmare that can take up to an hour!!

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    okay.i stand corrected. in nearly 4 years ive been to oranmore a million times,and the curragh once. those two are pretty much identical.

Bad driver boy
    the curragh is the best in my opinion followed closely by carnagh.Finir was nice for the all army last year it was like teletubbyland with all the rabbits.whats kilworth like any tips for the all army?

irish_zero
    seen as oranmore is closed now does anyone know where galway based units will shoot? the cadre staff said we'll go to finner or athlone?carnagh for a weekend. Its a ****n long drive to finner though!!!

any info appricated!

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finner i am informed was a much larger range years ago i am reliably infomed

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as i know Oranmore is closing this week, a few friends of mine were firing on it last week, so it looks like we're gonna be goin to makin the long trip to Finner more often. Bummer

Sgt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Deadly Delta
    Oranmore is closing this week
    But why? Its in reasonable good condition isn’t it. I know that it’s quite close to a few houses on that by road and that there is a business park and hotel close by but that’s never been an issue.

Thread Information