No announcement yet.

The Best Firing Range in the Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carna outside athlone is a very good range( flat out to 600), only problem is when fishing boats on lough Ree go into the area behind the butts and you have to stop.
    The range at oranmore is good as well.
    Finner has a problem with rabit holes.
    The curragh is fine but you need extra bodies to
    warn civies on the road behind the empacment.
    Gormonston is fine.
    Kilworth is good if a bit of a distance from the
    rest of the country.
    Tralee is a pain in the nuts.
    Kilworth you are firing up hill but think of the person taking the scores in the buts, up and down staires after every detail.

Basically every range is different some needing
    more work than others, but we are lucky to still have them at all.

Comment

ya i mean kilcoran, with only one L

Tralee is closed? About time. It a disaster of a place, have you ever seen butts as bad in your life.

Anyone from the 15th care to comment.
      Last edited by iron arse; 30 April 2003, 14:06.

Comment

I like the comment re the pheasant and believe it to be completley true.

the same birdie strayed across the range the previous week when we were in kilcoran but the lads on thre firing point never even saw him.The deer are a common sight but this was the first free range (hee Hee) pheasant i had seen..
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

No 2 Range in the Curragh is Probably the Best (the 24 Tgt Range) Absolutely Flat and Lovely soft Grass on the Firing Points. Gormonston is also dead flat but it does have a tendency to Flood, and has quite possibly the Clenest butts in the Country even if they are a bit lower than other ranges. Also the Rabbits are a problem there aswell (little Feckers if youre not getting their Shite all over you you're tripping up on their holes.)

Kilbride ranges are terrible dead sheep all over the Place. Marshy Ground (Great fun in the Ebde Falling Plates) The Buts are full of Crap. The Firing Point is either Mud or Pebbles there's no steps up to the 300 firing point (for the Moving Practice) there's only 4 targets per level so you need extra bodies to run the range. Even getting the targets from the Shed to the Racks is a Nightmare that can take up to an hour!!

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

okay.i stand corrected. in nearly 4 years ive been to oranmore a million times,and the curragh once. those two are pretty much identical.

Comment

the curragh is the best in my opinion followed closely by carnagh.Finir was nice for the all army last year it was like teletubbyland with all the rabbits.whats kilworth like any tips for the all army?

Comment

seen as oranmore is closed now does anyone know where galway based units will shoot? the cadre staff said we'll go to finner or athlone?carnagh for a weekend. Its a ****n long drive to finner though!!!

any info appricated!

Comment

Finner i am informed was a much larger range years ago i am reliably infomed

Comment

As far as i know Oranmore is closing this week, a few friends of mine were firing on it last week, so it looks like we're gonna be goin to makin the long trip to Finner more often. Bummer

Comment

Originally posted by Deadly Delta
                      Oranmore is closing this week
                      But why? Its in reasonable good condition isn’t it. I know that it’s quite close to a few houses on that by road and that there is a business park and hotel close by but that’s never been an issue.

Comment

Yes Oranmore is a fine range with plenty of land at the back which is fairly good for tactics, but it's government property and they have decided to sell it off. I think there are plans for a business park there but don't quote me on that

Comment

Yeah Same with Gormo The Camp itself is beeing saught after by a international Cargo Company who want to set up a Hub there. (extending the Runway etc.) With the New M1 it will be only 15 minutes away from Dublin city. Can't tell you which compnay though (seen as they employ me!) It's Rumoured a new Camp will be built nearer the Ranges in Gormanston with the money raised!!

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

I know what company employes you.... can i tell everyone??
                            and normaly i would be sadend by the loss of a barracks, but then i remember what gormanstown is like and feel a smirk creep onto my face..... once they keep the "killhouse" intact (or whats left of it).
                            Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

Re: Oranmore

I'm told their waiting for a civilian ordanance disposal team from England to clear the range in Oranmore. Thats what the wait is. Its free up until then. C'ant be much time left though.
                              Courage is being scared to death, but saddlin'up anyway - John Wayne

Comment

DELETED Ref: Rule 6

Comment

Working...
                                X