Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Where do you pull that statement out of ? Curragh is a Pain in the Hole to run , compared to kilbride for example
    It's close, far less messing with flags than Kilworth, never set up Kilbride. If planned right you can travel there, set up range, conduct ARPs in one day.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    navy have their own pistol range on the base..

3. Likes Goldie fish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Makes cobh sound like the wild west when the wind is blowing the noise in a certain way

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool username.

Some thing to with his arse been immune to being busted while in TCVs....
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Somewhere in the vicinity of Beetlegeuse.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I die a little inside whenever we go to Kilbride.
    "Men are at war with each other because each man is at war with himself." -Francis Meehan.

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ignore pistol ranges, they are not representative cos you can hide them in a hole . I'm talking about a standard Gallery range, targets out to 300 etc. Curragh is a pain to run. By the way please don't mention any classified details of active military range.s
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Makes cobh sound like the wild west when the wind is blowing the noise in a certain way
    You can barely hear the range even when the wind carries the noise.
    It's also a load of crap that last shot has to be 1600 because people in whitepoint and the low road are a complaining about the noise! They bought a house across from a naval base so should have to just shut up and put up.

Wow I'm having an angry day...

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    No one has mentioned bere island

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was recently put some practice in with a BAP an my 38 Spl on a club shooting range in Zimbabwe. It is equipped with several handgun next to the full bore rifle ranges out to 300m , an indoor air pistol range and is next to the national army range that runs perpendicular to a in road. also a club house. The amount of time and money tanht the DF expends in transporting guys to shoot on out of the way ranges must be high. Barrcask shold really hae their own 300m range at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most barracks are in built up areas, someone in an apartment in Rathmines may disagree. Also they double as training areas.

12. Thanks apod thanked for this post
    Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Most barracks are in built up areas, someone in an apartment in Rathmines may disagree. Also they double as training areas.
    Option 1: Take it underground.

Option 2: Utilize the car tyres, like the opposition did in the hills around and about.

Connaught Stranger

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you going to get safety template distances for a Gallery range in a built-up area ?
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

15. Dislikes DeV disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Where are you going to get safety template distances for a Gallery range in a built-up area ?
    If I understand your question correctly, its about what type of range it would be modeled on, noise pollution etc..etc..?
    If I am correct I would say based on one of the many civil shooting ranges in Europe, USA, etc..etc..
    Germany for example has thousands of civil gun ranges firing civil handguns to military grade rifles.

Connaught Stranger.

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BANDIT View Post
    I was recently put some practice in with a BAP an my 38 Spl on a club shooting range in Zimbabwe. It is equipped with several handgun next to the full bore rifle ranges out to 300m , an indoor air pistol range and is next to the national army range that runs perpendicular to a in road. also a club house. The amount of time and money tanht the DF expends in transporting guys to shoot on out of the way ranges must be high. Barrcask shold really hae their own 300m range at least.
    Must be Cleveland Range near the Cleveland Dam on the Arcturus Road. A BSAP Support Unit base was just down the road. At one time I spent about 3 weeks in the Goromonzi Mountains nearby - when the good citizens of the outer suburbs got a bit anxious about all the shooting going on it was explained that it was just practice at Cleveland.

I hope you enjoyed your stay - great country, great people.

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cleveland it was just opposite Chikurbi prison and the support Unit, Great country indeed ..and great gun knowledge within the club,, The answetr may be to close as many urban barracks as possible and move out to the country.. anyway there seems to be a lot of shooting in Dublin, Limerick these days that a burst or two extra may not be objected to/

19. Likes Truck Driver, hptmurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BANDIT View Post
    Cleveland it was just opposite Chikurbi prison and the support Unit, Great country indeed ..and great gun knowledge within the club,, The answetr may be to close as many urban barracks as possible and move out to the country.. anyway there seems to be a lot of shooting in Dublin, Limerick these days that a burst or two extra may not be objected to
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

21. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    It's close, far less messing with flags than Kilworth, never set up Kilbride. If planned right you can travel there, set up range, conduct ARPs in one day.
    A bit of advice Gormo range yes, nice Sea views and good camp staff to deal with, keep away from Kilbride, Why? Weather, I.e Mist rain winds 2000 red flags to be put out 50 signatures, new dining complex never used home too 1000000 spiders and dodge roads.

Lord I don't want much just a winning quick pick. (Euro Draw)

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like

Will be a while before we see something like this over here

24. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Likes spider, Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftandSure View Post

Will be a while before we see something like this over here
    That must require careful management of safety arcs...
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

26. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who ever doubted that Kilworth has a climate all of its own should be shown this photo from RTE.

http://www.rte.ie/news/galleries/201...d-in-pictures/
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

28. Likes na grohmiti, ODIN, hptmurphy liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    There are three indoor firing ranges I go to that are in built up areas, two of them residential. Not just pistols used either, I've used semi auto rifles in the, and even once saw a .50 cal rifle. Mind you that was a bad idea. Proper construction.

Oranmore gone? That will put a severe crimp on Galway RDF. We managed to get a lot of shooting in during the year because it was so close, and damned handy for tactics. We never quite captured the airfield though.
    Last edited by expat01; 12th May 2015 at 09:21.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    they could have built a range easily at Baldonnel, when the site is a mile long. Most barracks had pistol ranges until they were done away with or repurposed as sheds. This stuff isn't hard to conceive, build and run safely.

31. Likes hptmurphy liked this post

Thread Information