Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Don't try to drag my navy back to an era that is past. You will never have your Monday to Friday, every weekend in Naval Service back. Sorry if that upsets you."

jaysus we did't even have that back in my day! that must have been in the perod when the Cu Feasa was the only ship in active service.

tbh I do't think any one in their right mind would expect that..at least I hope so...the two crew ship thing is even unworkable..bit like having three helicopters to keep one in the air.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

With king Neptune at the bottom of the sea why
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Ok

I will ask that if you are making a point, you do so without making reference to identifiable individuals.
    Make your point, and keep it civil please. Do not refer to those who are unable to defend themselves here,unless you are willing to identify yourself.
    Veiled insults have no place on this website.
    No problem Goldie, will drop the point.
    G-2, it is not good enough to offer ' more pay, less work' as a solution and then cry when somebody fillets you.

I am on record with my solution... stop complaining, serve your country, collect your pay or make another career move. No sympathy. Don't try to drag my navy back to an era that is past. You will never have your Monday to Friday, every weekend in Naval Service back. Sorry if that upsets you.
    I did not suggest more pay less work I suggested a set up more in line with our professional E.U. counterparts. On record, well then post it or direct me to it on this forum if it has already been posted. Serving your country does not entail being treated like crap just to save a few extra sheckles and thankfully I did move on. I have never suggested a Monday to Friday every weekend off navy either, I challenge you to show that I even hinted at the idea. My idea of a solution is to bring us in line with our fellow E.U. counterparts. To do that I think more staff are required and a change in current work practices to hold onto what the navy has. There is a reason Marius why people are leaving in droves.
    what do people REALL Y want
    A good question, one which PDFORRA should be able to answer. Is there anyone here who can speak for that.
    :wink:
    Last edited by G-2; 3rd September 2006 at 21:23. Reason: Spelling check
    Its a victimless crime, like punching someone in the dark.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Well then

the two crew ship thing is even unworkable
    My mistake, when the ship returns from a patrol place it under guard of the base personnel and send the crew of for the first week. That would be closer to what others within the E.U. operate on including the R.N. . When they return for the second week before heading back out they prep the ship. Of course full crews would be required for this to work. For that a manpower increase is neeeded and for that to be effective rather than a total waste there has to be a good reason to remain in the service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tqon View Post

In the second post i have asked a question, but no one has answered it, insulted me for the question yes but answered my question no. So until i know exactly how this list is compiled i cannot rely on its contents, its not worth the paper its written on. I dont care if it undermines any of the companies on the list I care about the truth, no matter whos toes it steps on.

I don't think Farel could have been more clear when he said:

Quote Originally Posted by Farel' View Post
    tqon to make the list all of your employees complete a confidential survey which is independantly assessed - so its the workforce who vote a place as being A Great Place to Work - well done to McDonalds - What is your place of work? If you have been listed in the Top 10 its because the majority of the employees in your job voted it so - but then again maybe they got it wrong and its not a ggreat place to work - unless you are talking about some other list?
    Please read the thread in full before jumping on your high horse.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there
    Victor has a point about inter-crew rivalry. I'm in an industry that has three crews per day and it is often the case that work gets "dumped" on other crews. It is not unknown for the recipient to turn around and dump the work back. At least once, it has come to nasty verbals and near-fists until the dumpers got the message....Someone else made the point that it shouldn't take two weeks to get a ship fit for a three-week patrol. That sounds fair enough. Does it really take that long to turn a ship around?
    Either way, it sounds like whoever does the rostering has to wake up and do some listening.
    regards
    GttC

Legate
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by G-2 View Post
    There is a reason Marius why people are leaving in droves.

:wink:
    There is a difference between 'personnel turnover' and 'people leaving in droves'...perhaps those leaving are those the Service can do without? It is not necessarily a bad thing.

Legate
    Post Thanks / Like

On record, well then post it or direct me to it on this forum :wink:
    24 Aug 2006 19:43

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

perhaps those leaving are those the Service can do without?
    I agree that some of those leaving would not be of a desirable nature but recruitment is not matching against those who leave, numbers are dropping and it is not intentional.
    I can say with certainty that certain members of the current recruit class are not on good terms with their superiors who wish to get rid of a certain few of them. I cannot of course name names or even hint but sufficed to say there is a number of yackers.
    24 Aug 2006 19:43
    Date and time is good but could you perhaps provide a link or at least tell me the name of the thread, thanks .
    Either way, it sounds like whoever does the rostering has to wake up and do some listening.
    regards
    GttC
    So unarguably true
    Last edited by G-2; 3rd September 2006 at 22:14. Reason: adding something

Post Thanks / Like
    I think what the NS are experiencing is something common to all branches of the DF. There is no shortage of employment, and Joe and Josie recruit can, if they get tired of military life, walk into a civvy street job with better conditions and pay.

The NS needs to recruit more to allow for higher wastage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    I think what the NS are experiencing is something common to all branches of the DF. There is no shortage of employment, and Joe and Josie recruit can, if they get tired of military life, walk into a civvy street job with better conditions and pay.

The NS needs to recruit more to allow for higher wastage.
    Goldie - I think the NS needs to try to be as good if not better than civvy street - we the taxpayer should expect that our navy trains and retains the best, accepting high levels of wastage for any organisation is a recipe for failure. People cost too much money to be training them only to loose them early.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wastage has been far to high to be acceptable at any level. Until this is adressed unit pride and sense of purpsoes are only by words.

exit interviews will show this time and time agin.its not all about money or sea time..its about a sense of need..need to feel that one is wanted..needed..part of a machine..to feel that without ones service some thing would be lacking.. alot of the lower rates don't have this..those who remain ...really only stay because of the money....the team thing needs to be improved on..peoples doubts need to adressed positively..and this is not alway sthe case unfortuneatley.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Question. What is the day to day and week to week routine like on a ship while on patrol?

How many watches are pulled? How much personal time? If you are in port are you on limited leave or can you sod off for the duration?

Post Thanks / Like
    wtches re 4hrs on 12 hours off and work ship in the mean time..you may have a restoff between watches..sleep is at a premium..and relation may be as little as one hour per day depending on the intensity of other operations.

I suppose it is to be consider unlike the army that from the ship leaves the wall to the time it returns..you are fully operational..it si sthe real deall you are not wiathing for something to happen you are doing it. Apart from boardings..just making the ship function.....food cleaning watches look outs..drills...all part of life tomake a ship work..can be very boring to some.But when it gets intense it gets intense.

There is no arguemment that people at sea re earning there money..it just those who don't ...getting the same money for having far less inintensity in their lives.

shock junky
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Only 8 vessels, targets, lack of personnel.

Why does it take 2 weeks to prepare a vessel for a 3 week patrol, apart from refueling, restocking the galley, general maintenance, what is involved that takes 2 weeks?

They could do everything the first week and then get either 1 weeks leave / 1 week 9-5.
    because stores can be notoriously slow , equipment and items you need dont always arrive when you expect them plus if you were to try and do 2 weeks worth of maintenance in one week you would go off your rocker and i know from my old division EA's we never liked going to do other peoples PPM's cause you didnt know what you were getting yourself into i.e motors ready to blow and if you spot it you fix it
    "Let no mans ghost come back to say my training let him down"

shock junky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reading the comments so far people seem to getting pretty annoyed over it i originally posted it for members of the service and other people who keep a close eye on these type of topics but what i think i am getting from some posts is that they aint too sympathetic to what sailors have to deal with but i would like to know how many of the posters with "tuff luck get on with your job waster" attitude have gone to sea and i mean with the service and before anybody asks i left the 3 months ago and am now a civvy (i love that word ) and no longer a bod(used to love that word)
    "Let no mans ghost come back to say my training let him down"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    wtches re 4hrs on 12 hours off and work ship in the mean time..you may have a restoff between watches..sleep is at a premium..and relation may be as little as one hour per day depending on the intensity of other operations.

I suppose it is to be consider unlike the army that from the ship leaves the wall to the time it returns..you are fully operational..it si sthe real deall you are not wiathing for something to happen you are doing it. Apart from boardings..just making the ship function.....food cleaning watches look outs..drills...all part of life tomake a ship work..can be very boring to some.But when it gets intense it gets intense.

There is no arguemment that people at sea re earning there money..it just those who don't ...getting the same money for having far less intensity in their lives.
    In this case, is there not a case for a "Seagoing Payment", payable to those who are
    afloat on patrols? In the same manner that ARW personnel get an additional
    payment because they are in the ARW. Or does it already exist?
    In this way, there is incentive for personnel to be seagoing, and the problems with
    crewing vessels wouldn't be an issue....

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a patrol Duty allowance paid at a rate of 40 euros per day at sea..but it is taxable and only paid while a ship is actaully at sea or on Patrol.

An incentive might to be to have an additional Ships Crew allowance which would give recognition to who is seagoing personnel and who isn't

Problem being that money is not the root of the problem..and we all know how difficult it would be to get money from the department.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the people who are behind the adverts should stop making the advertisments exciting when theres nothing exciting about most of the tasks people do in the navy.

A lot of people think there walking into a job that offers excitment e.g. armed boardings when the reality is that their rarely done. I think its misleading and they should show what really goes on e.g. serving officers their dinner, 24 hour quatermaster on the ship, cleaning the shit tank, constant cleaning.

Dont get me wrong I love going out to sea but only having one weekend to yourself after a 3 week patrol is nonsense.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I think the people who are behind the adverts should stop making the advertisments exciting when theres nothing exciting about most of the tasks people do in the navy.
    It's recruting strategy I really think it should remain. to elaborate, The army adverts are done in the same manner in fact the DF adds are similar to adds for armed services the world over. The bottom line being that they show you the good stuff to attract folks to the job. The adds don't lie they just don't show everything and to be honest the N.S. does need certain changes.
    Reading the comments so far people seem to getting pretty annoyed over it i originally posted it for members of the service and other people who keep a close eye on these type of topics but what i think i am getting from some posts is that they aint too sympathetic to what sailors have to deal with
    Well if it makes you feel better you have my sympathy and I believe hpt's also. You will always find that a great many people in this country are willing to be extraordinarily critical of the DF as a whole. They usually you find are know all's who know F all.
    Dont get me wrong I love going out to sea but only having one weekend to yourself after a 3 week patrol is nonsense.
    Absolutely right, I repeat myself by saying that the Irish N.S. should be brought in line with our European counterparts. By the way would I find suppot here by saying I think the N.S. should be seperated from the army in much the same way the R.N. is from the B.A.

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way would I find suppot here by saying I think the N.S. should be seperated from the army in much the same way the R.N. is from the B.A.
    Have they not been for many years?

Legate
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    Reading the comments so far people seem to getting pretty annoyed over it i originally posted it for members of the service and other people who keep a close eye on these type of topics but what i think i am getting from some posts is that they aint too sympathetic to what sailors have to deal with but i would like to know how many of the posters with "tuff luck get on with your job waster" attitude have gone to sea and i mean with the service and before anybody asks i left the 3 months ago and am now a civvy (i love that word ) and no longer a bod(used to love that word)
    Am sea going and I love it. Tough luck. Get on with your job. No sympathy for moaners.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would actually love to get back to sea....NSR have it made in that aspect.....best of both worlds

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    I would actually love to get back to sea....NSR have it made in that aspect.....best of both worlds
    Murph, I thought you were at sea all the time
    it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
    Winston churchill

Post Thanks / Like

Norwegian Coast Guard

From the P20 replacement thread.

The Norwegian Coast Guard is able to operate 21 vessels (plus 6 helicopters and 2 aircraft) with only 800 personnel as some of those vessels have only 16 crew. It is also part of the Royal Norwegian Navy and so is able to get personnel, logistics and C3 support from it.

Roles include:
    Sovereignty, Fisheries, Custom, Environment, Immigration, Search and rescue, Scientific research, Drifting objects, Assistance to other state agencies and Control of maritime activities according to Norwegian laws and regulations. It also has military roles including force protection and SF support operations.

Interestly it each vessel has 2 crew. Crew "A" is at sea for 3 weeks, followed by 32 hour crew rotation period, crew "B" then crews the vessel for 3 weeks ... and so on ...

Its area of operations is 2.2 million kilometres square.

Its vessels are crewed by a combination of naval officers (trained as coast guard officers), conscripted ratings and civilians.
    Last edited by DeV; 18th September 2006 at 20:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Crewing Vessels while maximising their seagoing time is something the Norwegian Coastguard seem to have a good grip of.
    From their website:

All the vessels are continuously on patrol, operated by two separate crews. Each crew is on patrol for three weeks followed by 32 hours at the base for debriefing, crew change, refuelling, supplying and briefing of the relieving crew before the next three weeks patrol. The philosophy is to ensure sufficient presence with required capabilities at sea. It means that the main goal of the Norwegian Coast Guard is to have the ships and helicopters and aircraft, the required expertise and the necessary authority where they are needed at sea at all times.
    Their Offshore element operates 12 ships in conditions similar to ours, except in winter, when they also have Ice to worry about.
    http://www.mil.no/sjo/kv/start/fartoyer/ykv/

Thread Information