No announcement yet.

PDFORRA report "Life at Sea"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The top '50' list of jobs in Ireland mentioned above. What criteria was used? Statistics, turnover, workforce, etc. This is the same list that has McDonalds on it (somehow i dont believe the guy behind the McDonalds counter would agree) Is is purely up to the research of the writer!!!

Were companies offered a write up if they paid for it as a form of advertising?

I ask because in my work its easy to get listed in the top 10 and being deserved of the listing is not one of the reasons why, you just have to deal with or come in contact with the right people. That’s why I never believe these lists when I read them unless they can be backed up by fact. And until this can be done they shouldn’t be used as a source.

Just like McDonalds its porbably a good job for managers, senior managers but not for the general staff.

Comment

tqon to make the list all of your employees complete a confidential survey which is independantly assessed - so its the workforce who vote a place as being A Great Place to Work - well done to McDonalds - What is your place of work? If you have been listed in the Top 10 its because the majority of the employees in your job voted it so - but then again maybe they got it wrong and its not a ggreat place to work - unless you are talking about some other list?
      Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

Originally posted by tqon View Post
        I wish i could explain to you what its like. Up until a few years ago, a sailor (be it officer, NCO, rating) said goodbye to his kids on a Monday morning before they went to school, and told their children they would be back Friday fortnight and sometimes Friday 3 weeks. That’s fine. It worked. That’s the navy life, a life at sea… …

I know many of you can talk about sea days, but remember figures can be twisted to suit peoples requirements. Thank you to those that stood up for the report findings. You understand, you listened. Thank you for listening.
        In your input to the thread on 28th Aug you lead everyone to believe you were in the Navy - now today you are saying you are in a company that can easily buy its way into a Top 10 list, which is it? I hope you are not telling porkies just to try and rubbish the Navy's Achievement in having a ship listed in the Top 50 Great Places to Work?
        Last edited by ocean; 3 September 2006, 14:43.

Comment

QUOTE=tqon;133803]I wish i could explain to you what its like. ...Now you don’t say goodbye, because the young children get upset, the little lad doesn’t understand why you keep missing his football matches, how your never around. So you slip away. Its no longer a Monday that patrols start but perhaps a Saturday, when the children are home from school. So no you have missed the first weekend.

Now a days its a 3 week patrol at least. Perhaps you do get in but alongside. But im not from Dublin, or Galway, or Waterford, Killybegs it doesn’t matter where I am today , im not at home, I may as well be at sea. Its a Saturday, that you get alongside, you have been at sea since the previous Saturday - thats 7 continuous days of work. But that’s a part of seagoing. Although your alongside its still a patrol, its still a working day but the powers that be are kind, they decide to make it a half day and by the way your back out to sea on Sunday evening with the tide. This is referred to by some as a weekend alongside!!!

This pattern continues for 3 weeks so you have missed 3 full weekends. By the way the ship is only in for a week after the patrol. But your not off the moment the ship arrives. she is waiting to be re-fuelled then you have to wait for another ship to come out of the basin before you can go into it and so its 5 in the evening before you can leave but you have been up since 6. The next day your back in work but there for 24 hours on a duty.

If your lucky your back in for 2 weeks. But within the two weeks in your are doing a duty one weekend so that only leaves on weekend free and you try to get the complimentary 2 days off if your lucky.

Posted 01 Sep by Tqon

I ask because in my work its easy to get listed in the top 10 and being deserved of the listing is not one of the reasons why, you just have to deal with or come in contact with the right people. That’s why I never believe these lists when I read them unless they can be backed up by fact. And until this can be done they shouldn’t be used as a source.

I agree OCEAN seems to have a point Tqon - from what I have read you are changing your story depending on the point you want to make - to try to undermine the achievement of being listed in the Top 50 Great Places to Work by legitimate means is fair enough but I think you have a bit of explaining to do.. In trying to undermine the list you also de facto attempt to undermine the other companies on the list O2, Google and yes Mc Donalds.
          Last edited by Farel'; 3 September 2006, 14:40.
          Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

I know people who work in Mc Donalds and love it. Just because the food, and the service is crap doesn't mean the employees don't enjoy working there.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Goldie - I know some of the staff and agree - they love the job.

Comment

Originally posted by G-2 View Post
                I mean be realistic, at the very least if not 2 crews on rotation then at least have the ship readied by personel from the base rather than the crew who just arrived. It would certainly make a lot more sense morale wise. That is of course in my humble opinion.
                You have to manage this carefully, to avoid one crew dumping on the other.
                Last edited by Victor; 3 September 2006, 17:06.
                Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Originally posted by Farel' View Post
                  I agree OCEAN seems to have a point Tqon - from what I have read you are changing your story depending on the point you want to make - to try to undermine the achievement of being listed in the Top 50 Great Places to Work by legitimate means is fair enough but I think you have a bit of explaining to do.. In trying to undermine the list you also de facto attempt to undermine the other companies on the list O2, Google and yes Mc Donalds.
                  Agree. Will treat Tqon contributions lightly until he explains.

G-2, it is not good enough to offer ' more pay, less work' as a solution and then cry when somebody fillets you.

I am on record with my solution... stop complaining, serve your country, collect your pay or make another career move. No sympathy. Don't try to drag my navy back to an era that is past. You will never have your Monday to Friday, every weekend in Naval Service back. Sorry if that upsets you.

Comment

Originally posted by G-2 View Post
                    In no other professional modern navy (western anyway) does the crew of the ship come back from a patrol of whatever length and then spend the next two weeks (most of it anyway) prepping the ship to go on another patrol yet here we do.... Why?
                    Only 8 vessels, targets, lack of personnel.

Why does it take 2 weeks to prepare a vessel for a 3 week patrol, apart from refueling, restocking the galley, general maintenance, what is involved that takes 2 weeks?

They could do everything the first week and then get either 1 weeks leave / 1 week 9-5.

Comment

• I dont have to explain myself I never said I was in the Navy! Its up to you if you assumed it. People seem to be assuming an lot on this board without proof.

If i want you to know my exact work ill tell but i dont, and why does it matter. Perhaps I am, perhaps i am not, and perhaps like many i work a second job as well, perhaps i know people in the Navy perhaps someone asked me to post this so they could stay anonymous. I dont have to explain who I am or what i do. Are those on the board not entitled to anonymity(think i spelt that one right not sure) if they so choose?

I have put forward a point of view in one statement. I have contradicted or insulted no one.

In the second post i have asked a question, but no one has answered it, insulted me for the question yes but answered my question no. So until i know exactly how this list is compiled i cannot rely on its contents, its not worth the paper its written on. I dont care if it undermines any of the companies on the list I care about the truth, no matter whos toes it steps on.

Comment

• "Don't try to drag my navy back to an era that is past. You will never have your Monday to Friday, every weekend in Naval Service back. Sorry if that upsets you."

jaysus we did't even have that back in my day! that must have been in the perod when the Cu Feasa was the only ship in active service.

tbh I do't think any one in their right mind would expect that..at least I hope so...the two crew ship thing is even unworkable..bit like having three helicopters to keep one in the air.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Ok

I will ask that if you are making a point, you do so without making reference to identifiable individuals.
                          Make your point, and keep it civil please. Do not refer to those who are unable to defend themselves here,unless you are willing to identify yourself.
                          Veiled insults have no place on this website.
                          No problem Goldie, will drop the point.
                          G-2, it is not good enough to offer ' more pay, less work' as a solution and then cry when somebody fillets you.

I am on record with my solution... stop complaining, serve your country, collect your pay or make another career move. No sympathy. Don't try to drag my navy back to an era that is past. You will never have your Monday to Friday, every weekend in Naval Service back. Sorry if that upsets you.
                          I did not suggest more pay less work I suggested a set up more in line with our professional E.U. counterparts. On record, well then post it or direct me to it on this forum if it has already been posted. Serving your country does not entail being treated like crap just to save a few extra sheckles and thankfully I did move on. I have never suggested a Monday to Friday every weekend off navy either, I challenge you to show that I even hinted at the idea. My idea of a solution is to bring us in line with our fellow E.U. counterparts. To do that I think more staff are required and a change in current work practices to hold onto what the navy has. There is a reason Marius why people are leaving in droves.
                          what do people REALL Y want
                          A good question, one which PDFORRA should be able to answer. Is there anyone here who can speak for that.
                          :wink:
                          Last edited by G-2; 3 September 2006, 22:23. Reason: Spelling check
                          Its a victimless crime, like punching someone in the dark.

Comment

• Well then

the two crew ship thing is even unworkable
                            My mistake, when the ship returns from a patrol place it under guard of the base personnel and send the crew of for the first week. That would be closer to what others within the E.U. operate on including the R.N. . When they return for the second week before heading back out they prep the ship. Of course full crews would be required for this to work. For that a manpower increase is neeeded and for that to be effective rather than a total waste there has to be a good reason to remain in the service.
                            Its a victimless crime, like punching someone in the dark.

Comment

• Originally posted by tqon View Post

In the second post i have asked a question, but no one has answered it, insulted me for the question yes but answered my question no. So until i know exactly how this list is compiled i cannot rely on its contents, its not worth the paper its written on. I dont care if it undermines any of the companies on the list I care about the truth, no matter whos toes it steps on.

I don't think Farel could have been more clear when he said:

Originally posted by Farel' View Post
                              tqon to make the list all of your employees complete a confidential survey which is independantly assessed - so its the workforce who vote a place as being A Great Place to Work - well done to McDonalds - What is your place of work? If you have been listed in the Top 10 its because the majority of the employees in your job voted it so - but then again maybe they got it wrong and its not a ggreat place to work - unless you are talking about some other list?
                              Please read the thread in full before jumping on your high horse.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Hi there
                                Victor has a point about inter-crew rivalry. I'm in an industry that has three crews per day and it is often the case that work gets "dumped" on other crews. It is not unknown for the recipient to turn around and dump the work back. At least once, it has come to nasty verbals and near-fists until the dumpers got the message....Someone else made the point that it shouldn't take two weeks to get a ship fit for a three-week patrol. That sounds fair enough. Does it really take that long to turn a ship around?
                                Either way, it sounds like whoever does the rostering has to wake up and do some listening.
                                regards
                                GttC

Comment

Working...
                                X