No announcement yet.

Classic Military Vehicle Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I observed an individual wearing a 23inf bn polo shirt. Unusual to find one so far away from Cork. Anyone we know here?
    I was disappointed with the display from the DF to be honest, considering they only had to cross the M7 to get there. 2 Scorpions, 1 Piranha, the Ford Armoured car, The Landsverk tank, and thats it.
    It was smaller than I expected. I have seen larger Military vehicle displays at normal vintage rallys.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Was never seen in a beige jacket!..yeah the DF input was very dissapointing...given whats available...hey Laners listen up to who is slagging you next time.....nice shirt btw...any hooo nice display of deact weapons....and the fact they were givingthem out for a feel was nice....never thought my youngfella would see an .303.

Now back to the Leb vets thing....or what ever the one with the plastic gustav was supposed to representing..and some muppet in chocolate chip camo...what a load of wank...if you are going to do it ...please let it be accurate ...and stop telling lies.

Some nice vehicles but far to limited..feeling there was far more available but it was just missing something..great venue.....but just too short of vehicles..there are so many more available north of the border..i know..i was talking to a man about it..he actually has a great idea about...all Ireland...military vehicles...but the show was lacking.

Nice one to all those who displayed...nice touch the reanactors just mingling..tip..leave the mobiles at home next time...very friendly show..nice peeps..well done....now maybe get away from the infighting and join up with the shower in Duncannon next month.....the two combined could be so good!
      Last edited by hptmurphy; 8 May 2006, 03:04.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

actually on reflection the guy from CMV seemed a little spaced.....and must have really mistaken me for someone else..given I was wearing a blue and white shirt..and he seemed a little astonished to have some one discuss his article...and seemed a little troubled that I could'ndt supply some photos of timoneys for a forth coming article...!..I could not oblige as some gobshite put a Javelin through the last of them last week..and decided to lace it with some .5...allegedley...really I ask you...no decorum!
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Hi HPT
          How inconsiderate! A Javelin,too. Pricey way of scrapping a car.Shoulda just left it in Newbridge overnight...I saw the chocolate chip guy,too.Muppet. Still, there was a very overage Israeli para for the Walt factor....the fella selling the mock AK-47 for E100?! What was he on?....The two lads in British WWII played a blinder with the public, continuously being asked for gen on their kit and obliging for photographs,etc....Perhaps the various groups could put their differences aside for once and put on a big show. Certainly, the paying punters will turn up for anything that offers a bit of difference and a place for the sprogs to play.
          regards
          GttC

Comment

Lads, the "chocolate chip" camo uniform was worn by 1 Tpt Coy in Somalia.
            Fiannóglach has posted pics of it before on this site. Heard rumours that it was rapidly withdrawn as the lads were drawing a lot of incoming - supposedly being mistaken for US troops, who were wearing the same desert camo scheme at the time.

I thought the show was pretty good, they were blessed with the weather. Was about when the parachute display dropped in, but was at the displays when it happened, so too far to get a decent photo. B Inman, you must have lamped it out onto the racecourse like a thoroughbred to get those shots Nice photos, BTW.

Can anyone explain why the officer from what was 23 Inf Bn was in uniform at the show... ??? DFR R5, etc.....

The display of DF flashes was very good, and brought it home to me how badly some of the new Reserve formations have fared with their flashes (colour scheme, etc.)
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The last of the jumps was closer than the ones in the morning. Instead of landing on the Curragh plains, they landed next to the crowd on the racecourse.

Comment

See attached photos of the jump and the number of kids around the landing site
                Attached Files

Comment

We know about the chocolite chip uniform...well the story with the ossifer...he's an arsehole.....

Comment

I have to say I really enjoyed the day. Met "loads" of strange people. Most interesting thing for me was the fact that you could buy, sell or exchange stuff all over the place. Was it me or did the U.S. Airborne guys look a little to geeky for airborn troops? Thought the German "memerobilia" sellers looked liked they were awaiting for "Kristallnacht" to arrive again! Maybe they should try South Africa or someplace like that.
                    The Leb "Vets" did their best to help anyone who had an interest in dogs or cats! I myself am a " leb vet". Surgery hours 0900-1630.

I was so happy to see a representative of the "Easter debacle" complete with mauser and sandwich bag. He better not be there the next day or it's in the back of a crossely tender "we'll av im, no bleedin mistake paddy".
                    I have to agree here with murph, there was a very bad turn out from the DF. A few very fed up looking types. All it would have taken was a small tent, with some firepower on display eg: mag, styer, bap, AI 92, Sraww, some field kit and a couple of NVG goggles. Big oppertunity to recruit missed there.
                    But anyhoo, as I said it was an enjoyable day and no mistake, looking forward to Duncannon in June.

PS: I paid 8.60 for a bag of chips, a burger(dried up type), and a bottle of orange. Methinks some sandwiches will be the on the Ration Indent for Wexford.
                    Unless .....crossley tender........snadwich bag...".big republican head on im"..............
                    Press Corp-"Say General the Folks back home would sure like to know where you got that pearl handled revolver?
                    Patton-" P-P- Pearl? ITS IVORY-only a cheap New Orleans Pimp would use a PEARL handled revolver

Comment

I thought the show was good but it would be nice to see more going on, as in displays of the vehicles in use.
                      Maybe they should hold the next show opposite Donnellys Hollow. Then we would see some interesting things going on.

Comment

In Fairness to Mr Murf. He did advise sandwiches in advance. Wexford didn't even have a chip van when I was there last year.
                        The 34bn(former 23) Officer was acting as a member of the df on the day, as he often does when displaying his collection. Why else would he have been using official transport.

Comment

Some photos of a DF Oddity, the Isuzu Crew cab, taken by Gunner. I think the Plate is for Base Workshops.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                            I think the Plate is for Base Workshops.
                            Logistics Base, DFTC

Comment

Firts time for seeing them in the Olive Green look well possible a bit more robust and more suited to the type of logestic/maintance support vechicle then like a Transit that have been used the Logs base in this type of role the as this type of vechicle (Isuzu) would most likely have little trouble operating in harsh off road conditions and hance be better in supporting deployed drops and equipment.
                              British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
                              Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

any chance of a full stop?

Only Problem with crew cabs is that usually the space in the back seat is only useful for a small child.

Comment

Working...
                                X