Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
    Don't I know it!
    Welcome back to the mob. I wish I was 19 and had it all to do again.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by B Inman View Post
      Irish Independent Tuesday 18th March
      Violent clashes mar Irish soldiers' festivities

By Declan Power
      Tuesday March 18 2008

Irish troops had their St Patrick's Day festivities interrupted yesterday when violence erupted in the northern region of Kosovo.

UN police officers had to be pulled out of the region after violent clashes with Serbs protesting the recent declaration of Kosovan independence.

The UN police had been in the process of evicting a Serb mob who had recently taken over a courthouse near Mitrovica on the Kosovan side of the new border with Serbia.

General Gerry Hegarty, a brigade commander in central Kosovo, said KFOR troops from the French-led brigade had to be deployed after the UN police were attacked by the crowd using hand-grenades.

A KFOR officer said a number of police officers had been seriously injured from the blasts and one may have lost a limb.

In a further escalation of tension, shots were then fired in the vicinity of the KFOR troops. KFOR sources said this was the greatest escalation of tension since the riots of 2004 when up to 19 Serbs were killed.

Over 260 Irish soldiers are based in central Kosovo at two bases, Camp Ville and Camp Clarke, in Lipljan near Pristina. The troops are part of a Irish-led multi-national brigade currently commanded by Brigadier Gerry Hegarty.

Following the attacks on the UN police and KFOR troops, a concert and meal planned for last night in Camp Clarke was abruptly cancelled and Irish troops were deployed on to the roads and towns around central Kosovo.

Vulnerable

An Irish KFOR spokesman explained: "Anything that happens in the north of Kosovo can have a major impact down here as there are a minority of Serbs living in the Pristina region who are very vulnerable to attack and rely on us to protect them".

To add to yesterday's tension there was a visit from a Serbian government minister to a Serb town in the Irish sector called Granacia. Brigadier General Hegarty described it as "a place of huge significance to the Serb population in Kosovo and very important religious site".

A recent suspension of members of Serbian members of the Kosovan Police Service has added to the tensions caused by the Mitrovica outbreak of violence.

- Declan Power

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        That's 2008 !
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
          That's 2008 !

I know

Comment

The Bosnian Serb ex-leader planned the 1995 Srebrenica massacre of nearly 8,000 Muslim men and boys.

Radovan Karadzic sentence increased to life at UN tribunal

Concentration camp survivor: "The only thing he deserves"
            A UN court has rejected an appeal by Bosnian Serb former leader Radovan Karadzic and increased his sentence to life in prison.

The tribunal on Wednesday ruled that his initial sentence was too light.

In 2016 Karadzic, 73, was found guilty of genocide and war crimes by a UN tribunal in The Hague and given a 40-year prison sentence.

He planned the Srebrenica massacre of July 1995 - the worst atrocity in Europe since World War Two.

Karadzic had said his conviction was based on "rumours". He launched an appeal against his sentence last year, telling judges that the expulsion of Muslims and Croats in the 1990s had been "myths".

Karadzic, a former psychiatrist, was president of the Bosnian Serb entity Republika Srpska during the Bosnian War in the 1990s.

Profile: Radovan Karadzic
            Karadzic jailed for Bosnian genocide
            The tribunal rejected the majority of Karadzic's appeal.

Judge Vagn Joensen said the original sentence was too lenient, given the "sheer scale and systematic cruelty" of his crimes.

General Ratko Mladic, left, and Radovan Karadzic in 1995Reuters
            Radovan Karadzic, right, pictured with General Ratko Mladic in 1995
            The former leader cannot appeal the tribunal's decision. He sat in the chamber on Wednesday and did not react to the ruling.

Correspondents say the ruling is likely to be one of the last remaining hearings stemming from the bloody break-up of the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s.

Presentational grey line
            Bittersweet victory

By Anna Holligan, BBC Hague correspondent

Gasps, a whistle, applause and a collective sigh of relief was how relatives in the public gallery reacted.

Many have spent more than two decades in pursuit of justice. Back and forth between The Hague and the killing fields where human bones are still being found today. Witnessing the political mastermind behind their suffering being told he will be confined to a cell for the rest of his life, was as close to justice as they feel they can get.

As the survivors filed out into the sunshine, on to a daisy strewn lawn, I asked Munira Subasic - a mother whose husband and only son were slaughtered in Srebrenica - how she felt about the fact the architect of her suffering would never walk free.

"He deserves that," she told me. "I will never see my son again. [Karadzic] should just stay in a black hole. I will live with the pain. This should be a message to the world, to war criminals."

Satko Mujagic, who watched as his friends were taken away to be executed at the Omarska death camp, told me their victory was bittersweet. "I'm satisfied. I'm happy I'm here. But many didn't survive to see this so we cannot say we are truly happy."

Presentational grey line
            In its original verdict, the UN tribunal ruled that Karadzic and other leaders were responsible for the "organised and systematic pattern of crimes committed against Bosnian Muslims and Bosnian Croats".

At Srebrenica, Bosnian Serb soldiers slaughtered nearly 8,000 Muslim men and boys in a "safe area" protected by Dutch peacekeeping forces for the UN.

Judges also held Karadzic responsible for the siege of Sarajevo, a campaign of shelling and sniping which lasted more than three years and led to the deaths of an estimated 10,000 civilians.

After the war, Karadzic hid for years masquerading as an expert in alternative medicine before his eventual arrest in Serbia in 2008.

Former Bosnian Serb army commander Ratko Mladic was sentenced to life in prison on similar charges of war crimes and genocide in November 2017.
            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Two-thirds of Irish troops serving in Kosovo test positive for Covid-19

The Kosovo Force has been delivering medical equipment to hospitals and contributing to the local response to Covid-19 in Kosovo since the beginning of the pandemic.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                Two-thirds of Irish troops serving in Kosovo test positive for Covid-19

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40104107.html
                Stay safe

Comment

Good luck to them. It's not nice.
                  'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                  'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                  Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                  He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                  http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

There is SO much of that report that is incorrect it is worthess.

Comment

Why use Two thirds and not just say 8?

Accompanied by a photo of a parade consisting of more than four halves of the current Kosovo contingent.
                      Last edited by na grohmiti; 30 November 2020, 19:34.
                      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                        Why use Two thirds and not just say 8?

Accompanied by a photo of a parade consisting of more than four halves of the current Kosovo contingent.
                        Because the number 8 is incorrect as is their stated strength of the contingent and a whole lot else
                        Last edited by Fantasia; 30 November 2020, 20:00.

Comment

Working...
                        X