No announcement yet.

New secondary armament for PVs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrapped I would think..te magazines being the problem towrd the end of their lives...also a very complicated weapon to maintain
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Hi Murph,
      Are there any kept as Museum pieces? Is there such a thing as a Navy Museum?
      regards
      GttC

Comment

There is...Its called L.E Emer...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Recoil 7 tONNE?

I agrre that landcruisers are fitted with Leaf springs and Shocks but are these not are fitted to absorb more vertical loading rather than horizontal loads. If a full load of 7 tonne was transmitted directly to the shocks and springs they would be damaged straight away. Since its a been a few years since I did structural analysis I will bow to your more up to date knowledge but 7 tonnes just seems a hell of a lot. If I recall a ZU 23 weighs about a tonne.
          Bandit

Comment

Bandit, you may want to note that he didn't say '7 tonnes' - he said '7 tonnes per square foot'.

Comment

40mm L70 engaging

A photo of the Bofors L70 engaging a surface target with HET
              Attached Files

Comment

20mm Rheinmetall engaging flare target

20mm engaging a 57mm Wallop Flare target, showing the benefits of the gunner remaining in the vertical, a good reason to buy
                Attached Files

Comment

It cannot be 7 Tonnes per square foot or the arse of the landcruiser plus leaf springs etc would be driven into the ground.. tyres burst etc ,Anyone in the front cab would be sent into outer space ,with the roof stuck to their smashed head, figures must be wrong somewhere .

Comment

WTF has landcruisers got to do with anything...we are talking about ships. Most of the landcuiser I've seen..the recoil of a .303 would go out through the floor with the rust.

Now back to the ships.Has the coms sytem between the Rheinemetalls and the Ops room changed....Given that it used to be helmet mounted.

can anyone give me the method of operation of the L70 mounting...electric?

The old L60 mounts were hydraulic..but I don't seem to be able to identify any working parts on the 70 mounting.

bleeding landcruisers...bah humbug...shold have got one of indestructible nissan things Clarkson had on top gear!
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Dogwatch
                      20mm engaging a 57mm Wallop Flare target, showing the benefits of the gunner remaining in the vertical, a good reason to buy
                      Pity he is not using his telescopic sight!
                      Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

7 tonnes per sq. ft !!! does not mean much,if you consider a tank of fresh water a meter cube would have a static load of one tonne, it gives an idea of the loads involved. The max load on the trailer deck of a car Ferry ( or the Blue /Green ship) is 30 tonnes spread over two wheels and two legs at the forward end of the trailer. These decks would be much stronger than the upper decks of a PV, so the deck on a PV would need to have a lot of strenght built in. That is the easy part, the bigest loading would come from the bending moment ie the distance from the center line of the barrel to the deck, multiplied by the recoil force. If the mounting is not to penetrate the deck then the load must be taken by spreading it over a big area.

Comment

Now repeat that impact at say 600 rounds perminute..quite a bit of stress in a localised area

Comment

Hi guys. Although 7 tons per square foot (tons not tonnes, unless we are mixing units) sounds like a lot, because oh-my-god-it's-7-tons, if one takes a moment to convert that into a more familiar form, it's about 97 psi.

So that's roughly the same pressure as an overweight ballerina doing a pirouette on the deck.

Hopefully, she won't fall through.

As a side comment, I'm certainly no expert on guns, but pressure seems like an odd way to measure recoil. It that typical?

Comment

So that's roughly the same pressure as an overweight ballerina doing a pirouette on the deck.

So that mean 600 rpm is the same as 600 ppm, pirouettes per minute, maybe the navy is putting too much steel in their decks - steel is no longer so cheap.
                              Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

Indeed!

Although that many pirouettes per minute could conceivably cause a fatigue problem. Particularly in an older lady. So although it seems pretty unlikely that the gun will fall through the deck, they may need to watch for weld cracks in the surrounding structure.

Comment

Working...
                                X