Naval weaponry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Is there Hitfist available in a naval mount? It's a fine gun if there is.
    Hitfist is a turret system, it mounts the ATK Bushmaster Mk44 30mm cannon.
    Leonardo the maker of Hitfist offer the Marlin RWS with the same cannon for naval use.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
      Particularly if we deploy to east Coast of Africa, we need to replace with 30mm system , ideally with AD ammunition and programmable Air Burst rounds with tracer. don't see why we couldn't try out the Cavalry's 30mm system--even on board--load one of the vehicles.
      The USMC has already tried this

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...ship-security/

Comment

Particularly if we deploy to east Coast of Africa, we need to replace with 30mm system , ideally with AD ammunition and programmable Air Burst rounds with tracer. don't see why we couldn't try out the Cavalry's 30mm system--even on board--load one of the vehicles.
        The issue with the concept is that the Bushmaster Mk44 that is installed on the Piranha III MRV does not use ABM ammunition. Also it has a significantly lower rate of fire than the MK30-2 from Rheinmetall 1,100 rds/min. As the Hitfist turret is manned it has a very low training rate of 1 rad/sec. A RWS will have rate of 90 or more which means tracking small swarming craft is easier. However such a test would be better than nothing especially if Rheinmetall also took part and strapped a Sea Snake 30 to the upper deck.

Both the Bushmaster Mk44 and the Rheinmetall Mk30-3 use the 30 x 173mm round which means they can fire all the non-ABM rounds such as HEI-T, MPLD-T, APFSDS-T, the latter is used on the Goalkeeper CIWS. The main difference comes in the AMB rounds, the Bushmaster fire the Mk310 PABM which is a programmable but more conventional explosive type round. The PMC308 KEFT round from Rheinmetall is a smaller version of the AHEAD shells and releases a cloud of 162 tungsten projectiles. It also uses a steel case allowing high pressures which then helps to give it the 1,100 m/s muzzle velocity compared to the 907 m/s from the alu cases Mk310 round. The final advantage of that the Mk44 can only fire at 200 rds/min with standard ammo and only at 100 rds/m with ABM rounds due to the way the round is programmed.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
          The issue with the concept is that the Bushmaster Mk44 that is installed on the Piranha III MRV does not use ABM ammunition. Also it has a significantly lower rate of fire than the MK30-2 from Rheinmetall 1,100 rds/min. As the Hitfist turret is manned it has a very low training rate of 1 rad/sec. A RWS will have rate of 90 or more which means tracking small swarming craft is easier. However such a test would be better than nothing especially if Rheinmetall also took part and strapped a Sea Snake 30 to the upper deck.

Both the Bushmaster Mk44 and the Rheinmetall Mk30-3 use the 30 x 173mm round which means they can fire all the non-ABM rounds such as HEI-T, MPLD-T, APFSDS-T, the latter is used on the Goalkeeper CIWS. The main difference comes in the AMB rounds, the Bushmaster fire the Mk310 PABM which is a programmable but more conventional explosive type round. The PMC308 KEFT round from Rheinmetall is a smaller version of the AHEAD shells and releases a cloud of 162 tungsten projectiles. It also uses a steel case allowing high pressures which then helps to give it the 1,100 m/s muzzle velocity compared to the 907 m/s from the alu cases Mk310 round. The final advantage of that the Mk44 can only fire at 200 rds/min with standard ammo and only at 100 rds/m with ABM rounds due to the way the round is programmed.
          To maximise ship Defence the chosen system must be totally automated after initial acquisition on EO or radar. The system should deal with a minimum of 4 fast attack craft and also be capable of dealing with AA, Drone, and Missile targets. The ammunition must be a step above kinetic with air burst a must. Engagement range must be not less than 3000m and rates of fire from single rounds to 200 RPM. Reloading must be handy and should not take longer than 20 minutes. The 76mm system should also be upgraded to be target specific and a range of appropriate ammunition.

Comment

• The Russians might have some containerised systems for us????

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news...rface-vessels/

Comment

• French Navy Starts Trials of Variable Depth Sonar aboard Loire-class Offshore Support Vessel
              The French Navy (Marine Nationale) and French Armament General Directorate (DGA) started trials of the Thales CAPTAS-1 variable depth sonar (VDS) aboard Loire-class offshore support and assistance vessel (BSAM) "Garonne" off Brest, in Brittany.

Naval News first learned about plans to experiment the compact VDS solution aboard the multipurpose vessel during DSEI 2019, while covering Garonne, the fourth and final vessel of the Loire-class.

“There is some project to deploy a towed sonar onboard [Garonne] which would be placed into a container” LT Cmdr Congues, Garonne‘s Commanding Officer, told Naval News during the event in September last year
              The French Navy (Marine Nationale) and French Armament General Directorate (DGA) started trials of the Thales CAPTAS-1 variable depth sonar (VDS) aboard Loire-class offshore support and assistance vessel (BSAM) "Garonne" off Brest, in Brittany.

Comment

• A US Navy team deployed a type of sonar, on P31, with stern A-Frame, and Flight deck mounted winch to map the debris field of the Air India plane. It was a mix of graphics and echo tracing identifying case shaped objects etc. Done then should be still doable as things now are miniaturised.

Comment

A US Navy team deployed a type of sonar, on P31, with stern A-Frame, and Flight deck mounted winch to map the debris field of the Air India plane. It was a mix of graphics and echo tracing identifying case shaped objects etc. Done then should be still doable as things now are miniaturised.
                  I wonder if that team included Robert Ballard (of Titanic Fame) who was in the US Naval Reserve at the time, and worked on a number of special projects for them while he was looking for the Titanic.
                  It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                  It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                  It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                  It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Just to give an impression what is possible, here is a view of the aft deck of the Swedish Goteborg class corvettes. They are half the size of the Peacock with a beam of just 8m. Yet they manage to pack a VDS sonar, two sets of mine/depth charge rails as well as a Rheinmetall MASS (not shown) into this small area. The primary ASW armament being 400mm SLWT torpedo tubes. In addition their is also a Hull Mounted Sonar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Goteborg_ASW.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	698338

Add a UAV like the Skeldar V-200 or Camcopter S-100 and it would be a nice upgrade for the aft deck of the P60 class.

Comment

• As I had a bit of time on my hands I had a go at incorporating as much of the recent discussions into my P60 Ultimate Refit.
                      It is just a bit of fun, outfit is only a suggestion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P60 Ultimate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	698339

If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!!

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                        As I had a bit of time on my hands I had a go at incorporating as much of the recent discussions into my P60 Ultimate Refit.
                        It is just a bit of fun, outfit is only a suggestion.

[ATTACH]8807[/ATTACH]

If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!!

Ns-100, not Sea Giraffe AMB! And add Strales to the 76mm. And a full ECM//ECCM//ESM//SIGINT suite

Comment

• What would be the point of CAPTAS on Pxx? If they spotted a sub what could they do about it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                            Ns-100, not Sea Giraffe AMB! And add Strales to the 76mm. And a full ECM//ECCM//ESM//SIGINT suite
                            When I was doing this I always kept in-mind that it is a modification to a vessel that is already built, if it was in the design stage a few things would be different. With that the limitation I have tried to upgrade to the next level, a) to add air and sub-surface capabilities, b) to upgrade the weapon systems to allow deployment to low intensity conflict areas like a mission off the coast of Yemen.

The NS-100 is an excellent radar but it is bigger and more expensive than the Sea Giraffe AMB or the Scanter 4100 the latter of which was the most likely in the original design case for the mast. If the budget was available it could be an option but IMHO without a missile system like Sea Ceptor (CAMM) that the added capability is wasted.

The Strales debate has been very hard on this forum. Strales is the kit added to the OTO Melara to give CW guidance for the Dart round. The Sea Eagle FCRO can provide this, I suspect but could be wrong but it might be able to do this for several rounds. Before adding the Strales kit instead of having the old Sea Eagle FCEO installed aft I would prefer a second FCRO to give 360deg cover. Thus the Dart rounds could still be used.

The installation of the Sea Snake 30 is not just to replace the Rhinos but to give more protection close in with its MPDS & KETF rounds and a local EO fire control. When coupled to the Sea Eagle FCRO it can better engage aerial targets.

As for EW, the sky is the limit but at a minimum something like the Vigile system is needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                              What would be the point of CAPTAS on Pxx? If they spotted a sub what could they do about it?
                              Originally posted by EUFighter
                              Would it still be a Pxx? The letter may have to change to a K!
                              As for what would they do if they spotted a sub, that depends.
                              Firstly track and identify, at present we have little to no idea of the underwater traffic around our coasts.
                              If however they are somewhere they should not be and there is a need to engage, there I am still not totally sure. For a kill there is on the starboard side a Mk32 triple ASW torpedo launcher. However I still like that the Swedes and Finns still retain rails for depth charges; not to kill but to "fire a warning shot". Drop one close enough to indicate you want them to surface but not so close to kill.
                              Like the need for medium/long range shore based primary radar. You need to be able to show that there is a problem first, you can’t send up the fighters to intercept something that you don’t know is there.

Torpedoes would probably be more appropriate. Small Explosives charges could be used as “warning spots” as is done for swimmers

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                Torpedoes would probably be more appropriate. Small Explosives charges could be used as “warning spots” as is done for swimmers
                                The question of how to fire a warning shot to a sub is an interesting one. There is depth charges but in the end I did not add them as they would endanger the VDS & TAS that would most likely still be deployed.

My thoughts then go to Air Burst Munitions for the 40mm HK GMG, they basically rely on a timed fusing system. The question would be could this be programmed to explode after entering the water and sinking to a depth of saw 10m? Technically this should be possible, it might mean that it is a special round to cope with hitting the water without disintegrating but that should be manageable as they are designed to go through walls without exploding.

Also adding the HK GMG might be better for engaging fast small targets than the M2.

Comment

Working...
                                X