No announcement yet.

Naval weaponry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also works if you can't commit deck space to a pintle mount.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      Also works if you can't commit deck space to a pintle mount.
      Pintle mounts are popular for AFV's and Helicopter door mounts with a ball socket on a fixed pedestal mount to allow traverse , L/R and up/down. They are popular for HMG's and the like.

Comment

• May be of interest:

Comment

• Its an old article, however I did see at DSEI BAE systems showcasing both the Bofors 40mm Mk4 and 57mm, both of which will be fitted to the Type 31 Frigates. There seems to be a push in the RN to have the 40mm Mk 4 on its minor warships as a primary weapon, replacing the 30 and 20mm.

Skip to 7.25
          Last edited by na grohmiti; 21 September 2021, 19:36.

Comment

• Most visualised weapons systems for the various tonnages of ocean type patrol vessels are from the expert field. This is counterbalanced by professional concerns at equipping the assets with weaponry appropriate to the mission. In the case of vessels over 80m who are deployable world wide and with supports could stay in mission areas for 2or 3 years, it is important to have the right sensors and responses. I would support a typical vessel to have FCS/WECDIS, main gun 40/57/76mm, and 30mm support weapons, decoy defensive system, and basic ASW. It's a tall order but more sense than building floating spaces as inviting targets.

Comment

• Interesting to see the T31 go with the 57mm & 40mm combination up front, given the majority of RN major warships field the 4.5 inch Mk8, and the new T26 will carry the 5 inch Mk45 & DS30M Mk2.

Comment

• I think they suffer from bean counters as much as anyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaque'ammer View Post
                  I think they suffer from bean counters as much as anyone else.
                  There is a change underway partly caused by Global projected presence on the utilisation of the Aircraft carriers AND the US presence on board which has allowed USMC squadron field a complete squadron of 10 planes for the first time. It may all prove misplaced as pockets are not as deep just now. The proposed outfit for the newer OPV's includes main gun , 2x 30mm , and some support MG's and a 5 missile rack of Martlett Missiles to reach corvette standard.

Comment

Interesting to see the T31 go with the 57mm & 40mm combination up front, given the majority of RN major warships field the 4.5 inch Mk8, and the new T26 will carry the 5 inch Mk45 & DS30M Mk2.
                    Well the 4.5” is end of lifting, once the 23s and 45s are gone it’s gone (and in a fantasy fleet the 45s would refit away from it but no money), that left them with the 5” option or something smaller. I think the argument is that 57mm handles “swarm” type situations better than the 76mm, or it could just be that’s a BAE product compared to the 76mm?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post

Well the 4.5” is end of lifting, once the 23s and 45s are gone it’s gone (and in a fantasy fleet the 45s would refit away from it but no money), that left them with the 5” option or something smaller. I think the argument is that 57mm handles “swarm” type situations better than the 76mm, or it could just be that’s a BAE product compared to the 76mm?
                      My question is why aren't the T31s going to have the 5 inch too?

Comment

The answer may be that the RN GUN is the 114mm (4.48) MK.8 Mod.1 electrically fired. The 5 INCH gun and ammunition is the main USN choice and several other navies. There is no mention of the 5 inch gun in the 2021 Royal Navy vessels and Auxiliaries.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post

The answer may be that the RN GUN is the 114mm (4.48) MK.8 Mod.1 electrically fired. The 5 INCH gun and ammunition is the main USN choice and several other navies. There is no mention of the 5 inch gun in the 2021 Royal Navy vessels and Auxiliaries.
                          I think you have missed my point.
                          The 5 inch will be fitted to the Type 26 currently being built in Scotland. That's a matter of record.
                          The Type 32, soon to be built will have neither Mk8 or 5 inch, instead, as a frigate, having a main armament combination of 57mm at the A position, and 40mm at the B position, as currently arranged.

Comment

Depends on who you listen to…
                            a) the 31s face more risk of swarm type attacks and therefore the smaller faster firing mounts are preferable.
                            b) the admirals didn’t want any chance of the 31s supplanting the 26s as “frigates”.
                            c) the price of the 5” gun for the 26s gave sticker shock to Treasury and so they said no (remember the 31s are meant to be the discount hulls)

Comment

• Getting back to what we have and establishing it's accuracy as per manufacturer's settings and ammunition types. Since 1984/1985 how many times have our main armaments fired at an interactive target that can give a download graph of accuracy and probable kills.?

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                                Getting back to what we have and establishing it's accuracy as per manufacturer's settings and ammunition types. Since 1984/1985 how many times have our main armaments fired at an interactive target that can give a download graph of accuracy and probable kills.?
                                There was an ex with the Air Corps some years back where one ship used its guns in the indirect fire role, with corrections called from a spotter aboard an AW139.
                                Since the old A/A drogue hauled by the Cessna was stood down, I don't thing there is anything in the inventory, and I'm not sure how often that was used by the NS.

Comment

Working...
                                X