The Marchettis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Marchettis

What do members of this board think shoul be done with the Marchettis when they are retired on the introduction of the PC-9. Or do you think they should be kept in service for another few years??

:flagwave:
    There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Once the PC-9 is completely introduced there will be no role for the Marchetti, so there would be no real point in keeping them. I reckon they will be sold off.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I agree, they will probally be phased out once the PC-9's begin arriving.

Hopefully at least one will be kept for the AC Museum collection.
      They have served us well !
      IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

why not hold on to the marchettis , they have lots of life left in them and are paid for
        and at some time the corps might change its policy of allowing only
        commisioned officiers fly. any chance of that ,i wonder ?

Comment

It's a possibility that the Marchetti's may be retained for a few years after the PC-9's arrive. I believe the Chipmunks were retained for while when the Marchetti's arrived in 1977.

However, I suspect, to streamline training, the SF260's will be withdrawn from use as early as possible.

I suppose they could be "mothballed" in case we ever need extra firepower at a future date

:flagwave:

Comment

I saw a pair of them fly in formation this morning and on the return trip this evening and I have to admitt I liked it. That see the Air Corps down here for the day
            Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
            http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

I recon if they're still airworthy we should keep them as long as their airworthy that is
              There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

Why have two seperate aircraft, requiring different spare parts, operating in the same role? They should be sold off & the money ploughed back into the Air Corp.
                "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

yea , but what are you going to get for 26 year old marchettis ? who would want to buy them ? i say keep them for as long as they are airworthy ,as enrty level basic trainers . the more aircraft the corps
                  has on line , the better for pride & morale of its members .:flagwave:

Comment

The whole idea of getting the PC-9 was to replace the Marchetti, not to add another (and frankly redundant) layer to pilot training. Operating them along-side the PC-9's would only increase the ground crew's workload. If the requirement is for only one model of trainer then that's all that should be operated. It would be a waste of scarce resources to continue to fly it.

At the moment the Marchetti's must be worth something, if the Air Corp continued to operate them beyond the introduction of the PC-9 they'd eventually be worth nothing. They'd end up being given to RTC's, set alight for firecrew training, or left to rust (perhaps one would be retained for the mythical Air Corp museum). The Air Corp might as well get what they can for them & spend the money on something worthwhile.

Comment

I recall reading (a few years ago) that there was a strong demand for secondhand Marchetti's - after all they are regarded as "the Ferrari of the skies" in aviation terms !
                      The article stated that £100,000 was the going rate at the time.

They should either be "mothballed" or sold asap - with at least one retained for the Museum collection (or even a future "Historic Flight").

Perhaps one could even be retained for use, at airshowshows, as a"solo display" aircraft (as is the case with the Royal Netherlands Air Force).

Comment

What was the story there, Kermit ?
                        Apparently two of em' spent the weekend near Kilworth for a Reserve (FCA ?) excercise.

Were they doing mock dives/attacks ?

:confused:

Comment

I heard they were entertaining the troops at the all army.I have been told that "warplanes doing loops over kilworth.."
                          Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

The aer corps has been carrying out raid s on the exercise troops in kilworth over past couple of days from what I could take out. with an alloutte also doing the rounds locally
                            Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                            http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

How about giving them to the Air Corps reserve!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X