Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If anywhere with Bugs then Do Not Forget insect repellent and If you have one a Mosquito net.

I am planning to Cam up my Mossy net just to see how it turns out. (Otherwise It is one solid Green that would be seen a mile off)
    Last edited by Dazzler; 26 May 2008, 14:07.
    I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

• ?
      Erm... Whatever you are into I suppose.

Comment

• Originally posted by piper_69 View Post
        And as far as 6 bungees and 6 tent pegs goes, that's about 2 pounds of extra weight.
        AND???

Originally posted by piper_69 View Post
        I agree that if you see a sloped basha from the open end it looks like a black hole but as I said they only go up after dark so it's not a problem.
        Ever heard of NVE???
        Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

• Why bring bunges at all?Just more weight to carry and more space taken up in the pack.Pre attach paracord to your basha and you wont need it.Pegs are still needed but by geeting rid of the bungies you will half the weight of your shelter kit.Also if the paracord is permanently attached to the basha you cant loose it in a bug out!Unlike bungies:wink:

N.V.E in a forest? Best of luck with that.The canopy drowns out ambient light which the nve needs to function.Now if you have lucie or mono you can use the I.R torch built in to "illuminate " the situation,but if your enemy has NVE and is nearby you may as well have used a white light cos it will have the same effect.

The best solution is to all this is to either wait till last light to put up your shelter ,or put it up and drop it down to ground level during daylight(only do this if the basecamp is gonna be permanently manned thought!)Strike shelters before first light.You dont need to cam something that cant be seen in the first place!:wink:
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
            Why bring bunges at all?Just more weight to carry and more space taken up in the pack.Pre attach paracord to your basha and you wont need it.Pegs are still needed but by geeting rid of the bungies you will half the weight of your shelter kit.Also if the paracord is permanently attached to the basha you cant loose it in a bug out!Unlike bungies:wink:
            Paracord?

What if its the wrong lenght and wont reach the tree? then you have to tie more onto the piece youve already attached which wastes time.

How u gonna get it off the tree youve attached it to in a compromise without cutting it and thereby shortening the length even more???

Personally for me, it all fell apart when they stopped digging shell scrapes in harbour areas...........

Originally posted by apod View Post
            N.V.E in a forest? Best of luck with that.The canopy drowns out ambient light which the nve needs to function.Now if you have lucie or mono you can use the I.R torch built in to "illuminate " the situation,but if your enemy has NVE and is nearby you may as well have used a white light cos it will have the same effect.
            I dont know about you but i was trained to think that every army nowadays has NVE so you camoflage accordingly.........

And I'm sure there are better NVE systems out there then the ones the DF has.

I've also been on PDF platoon assessments were they moved into a harbour area and the first thing that went up was the poncho and it stayed up for 2 days. This after having been briefed that is was a tactical harbour area.............. But thats another story.
            Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

• Originally posted by spudula View Post
              Unless you're going to be using them why bring them up?
              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• There units have different ways of doing things... eg when the bivis go up/down (my bungees are permanently attached to my lightweight poncho.

In closed forest NVE is useless at long range (thermal imager is what you need)

Comment

• Paracord?

What if its the wrong lenght and wont reach the tree? then you have to tie more onto the piece youve already attached which wastes time.
                  Thst why you have taken the time to measure out two nice looooooong lenghts of it to attach to the middle tie points of the basha.Seven p's and all that smartarse

How u gonna get it off the tree youve attached it to in a compromise without cutting it and thereby shortening the length even more???
                  Ever hear of a quick release knot??

Personally for me, it all fell apart when they stopped digging shell scrapes in harbour areas...........
                  Really?When was that? Last time i looked it was still S.O.P.

I dont know about you but i was trained to think that every army nowadays has NVE so you camoflage accordingly.........
                  Really? tell me when did you do your NVE course?

No.Ours are pretty much on a par with international best standard.I should know i am an NVE instructor

were they moved into a harbour area and the first thing that went up was the poncho and it stayed up for 2 days. This after having been briefed that is was a tactical harbour area.............. But thats another story.
                  Not a problem if the harbor is pemanently manned.If the enemy get close enough to see the knee high,dpm bashas in a forest then guess what.They are already in range!But gee, i guess you with your tons of experience know better than the professionals?
                  Last edited by apod; 25 May 2008, 22:40.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• couple bungies dont really weight that much and can be preattached rolled up in the basha so they are not much extra space. allot of people cant tie knot s that are not tight enough and they cant slip them so they end up cutting para chord.
                    are bashas IRR ?
                    whats the thinking on the kip mat inside the bivi bag or out ?
                    "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

• couple bungies dont really weight that much and can be preattached rolled up in the basha so they are not much extra space.
                      True,but how many times have you seen people struggling with bungies an how many times have you seen em left on the trees after a bug out?

allot of people cant tie knot s that are not tight enough and they cant slip them so they end up cutting para chord.
                      What a lame excuse.jesus if you can tie your boot laces you can tie paracord

are bashas IRR?
                      Afaik yes.But i will double check and get back to ye on that one.

whats the thinking on the kip mat inside the bivi bag or out ?
                      Outside.that way if you get a bug out you can just stuff the bivi/sleeping bag combo into the Bergan.Also under normal circumstances when you pack away your sleeping system in the morning your kip mat is still out.Handy for standing/sitting on while you change back into your wet kit.

Comment

What a lame excuse.jesus if you can tie your boot laces you can tie paracord

it never surprises me how often people are incapable of doing their laces :L. most would end up with a serious of unopenable knots and resort to cutting .. but if you are good enough your bivi would be as good with para chord as with bungies ,

i usually use the kip mat inside as i usually roal off it works ok am i defeating the point of having the kip mat by doing this ,,

Comment

Thst why you have taken the time to measure out two nice looooooong lenghts of it to attach to the middle tie points of the basha.Seven p's and all that smartarse
                          So you know how high off the ground a branch is gonna be BEFORE you get there?

Ever hear of a quick release knot??
                          Yeah but id rather just cut it and not have to worry about fumbling around in a dark forest trying to find a knot, or hope that during the night no one accidently pulls it loose.

Really?When was that? Last time i looked it was still S.O.P.
                          About 10 years ago when the PDF instructors told us it wasnt done anymore because it left too much sign!!!! But hey, their PROFESSIONALS..............

Really? tell me when did you do your NVE course?
                          Didnt realise I had to do an NVE course to learn how to camoflage things properly???

No.Ours are pretty much on a par with international best standard.I should know i am an NVE instructor
                          Prove you are.

Oh yeah, thats right, No one on here can prove anything! In that case, so am I!!

Not a problem if the harbor is pemanently manned.If the enemy get close enough to see the knee high,dpm bashas in a forest then guess what.They are already in range!But gee, i guess you with your tons of experience know better than the professionals?
                          It wasnt permanently manned cause they were off during the day doing their tests.

If its properly camoflaged, then it shouldnt be visible till you stand on it!!

Comment

• Originally posted by greyfox View Post
                            i usually use the kip mat inside as i usually roal off it works ok am i defeating the point of having the kip mat by doing this ,,
                            I do that too.

Its handier to roll up aswell.

And of course, Ray Mears does it that way so it CANT be wrong!!!!!

Comment

• i take the kip mat out in morning put it back in evening find its just too big with a bivi , sleeping bag and a kip mat

Comment

• So you know how high off the ground a branch is gonna be BEFORE you get there?
                                No i dont.I leave enough length to tie around the trunk of the tree with the knot on the far side,paracord pulled nice and tight to prevent slackness.Now if you are tying your knee high basha off a branch you are doing it wrong!Not many branches at ground level and if there are you should have cleared them as part of your basecamp work routine so as to stop people tripping over them in the dark.But hey seeing as you are the expert you should know that anyway.Right?

Yeah but id rather just cut it and not have to worry about fumbling around in a dark forest trying to find a knot,
                                If you tie it on the opposite side of the trunk to the support lines you wont have any problem finding it.Just follow the paracord till you come to......a knot

or hope that during the night no one accidently pulls it loose.
                                Why would that happen?maybe if you are stupid enought to attach your track plan cord to the same trees you have attached your basha too.Bad skills if you do

About 10 years ago when the PDF instructors told us it wasnt done anymore because it left too much sign!!!! But hey, their PROFESSIONALS..............
                                Bollox.No currently operational, up to speed, PDF nco would teach that.Cadre staff maybe as they tend to have been "out of the loop" a while usually.But no way a serving NCO taught you that.If he did he is teaching herecy.Shell scrapes are SOP on the standard cse along with the pots cse.Also you dont leave sign after you fill em in properly!

Didnt realise I had to do an NVE course to learn how to camoflage things properly???
                                No but you do if you want to start quoting to me what the state of our NVE is and its capabilities

Prove you are.
                                How exactly? Wanna see my 43a?

Oh yeah, thats right, No one on here can prove anything! In that case, so am I!!
                                Now you are just being petulant.

It wasnt permanently manned cause they were off during the day doing their tests.

If its properly camoflaged, then it shouldnt be visible till you stand on it!!
                                If it wasnt permanently manned then the bashas should have been down.Packed away and the bergans in a bergan hide.Oh and the shell scrapes filled in too.

Originally posted by spudula View Post
                                I do that too.

Its handier to roll up aswell.

And of course, Ray Mears does it that way so it CANT be wrong!!!!!
                                Really so you roll up the whole kipmat/sleeping bag and bivi bag all together?And this fits where exactly in your bergan?What a load of balls.

Do you know whats annoying?People who come into a GOOD TIPS thread (where those in the know,who have the experience ,and who took the time to post that knowledge to help out those people ) and think they know better than the professionals.Perhaps instead you should just show a little humility and realise you DONT know it all and that all you are doing is coming across as arrogant and childish.Wind your neck in and you might LEARN something!I spent time in the FCA before i went full time and i can honestly say i didnt know it all.I still dont!
                                Last edited by apod; 26 May 2008, 20:20.

Comment

Working...
                                X