Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If only. I wanted to get an M1 instead of a limo to get myself and my bride the two miles from the church to the reception (Towing oil barrels, if possible), but the Army is short on discretionary funds these days, so couldn't approve it. A HMMWV just wasn't the same.

I've seen a Leopard 2 decorated up for a wedding. Obviously Europeans have more cash.

NTM
    Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

• i just thought i would point a little fact out most tanks exert a smaller surface pressure than any other vehicle with a few exceptions there's a vid on youtube showing a swedish tank going through a pretty wet bog without getting stuck and it was bottoming out as well
      anyway the i dont think the enviromentalists would let the cav near the bog aof allen
      Aut Vincere Aut Mori
      "Conquer or Die"

Comment

• the army doesn't really need heavy armor for this country but what about overseas.
        Mowags can't be used for everything to be honest, something else is needed.
        if the army got tanks they could do more demanding missions that are more dangerous and have the security of the tanks, just in case.

Never invade a country where every man by law, has to own a rifle,
        All secondary class roads can be used as runways,
        And almast all homes have bomb shelters.
        Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

• So you were asking, but you knew(or thought you knew) the answer?

Its not an MBT that provides the security..its the gun....

Anyone else experiencing Deja Vu?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• The Challenger 2 (without add on armour etc) has a ground pressure three times that of a Scorpion. Light tanks (such as Scorpion) don't do as much damage to public roads, they are able to operate on most Irish roads (due to their width).

Comment

• Any time Scorps go road mobile, they are carried on lowloaders. Scorpions don't operate on Irish roads.

Comment

• "IMHO no.We dont have the capability to transport them overseas and they are unsuited to alot of the irish terrain.Also as previously stated the expense wouldnt just me the mbts ,but the transporters and support equipment etc.Better of buying more mowags for the infantry and cav,and maybe some other variants for say the artillery etc"

Listen to what the man says.......

Thoiught this thread was done unto death years ago..or is the search function broken again.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  Thoiught this thread was done unto death years ago..or is the search function broken again.
                  It's a sticky in this Forum!

However, I think this is slightly different as it poses a serious question:

"Does the Irish Army need tanks?"

The other thread was

"The Germans are selling of Leopard IIs for 1 Euro each! Lets get some!"

Valid difference IMHO!
                  Meh.

Comment

• prime targets...

Main battle tanks are very heavy and very expensive (approx. €10 million each?). They require a great deal of logistical support. They are also the prime target of almost everyone else on the battle field:

- infantry ATGMs and close-range anti-tank weapons (e.g. Hezbollah defeating Israeli Merkavas in Lebanon recently)
                    - mines;
                    - attack helicopters;
                    - ground attack aircraft (e.g. an A-10 with its 30mm Gatling Gun)
                    - artillery, firing smart or cluster rounds….

Seems like the MBT has had its day. Are there any new designs coming along to replace the Challenger 2/Leopard 2/M1/Leclerc generation?

Comment

• MBT's havent had there day i will admit there not the resistence crushing behamoths they once where while yes hezbolla destroyed 3 damaged ten with very few deaths or injuries in the crews secound MBT's cost between two and four milion pound third any one with proper amounts of armour have the vehicles to support them incuding mobile AA as for artillary being a treat keep moving and they struggle to do more than blow holes in the ground
                      there are no planes to replace the current gen of MBT just some upgrades in armour and electonics
                      Aut Vincere Aut Mori
                      "Conquer or Die"

Comment

• Originally posted by carrington View Post
                        Are there any new designs coming along to replace the Challenger 2/Leopard 2/M1/Leclerc generation?
                        HOVER TANKS
                        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by carrington View Post
                          Seems like the MBT has had its day. Are there any new designs coming along to replace the Challenger 2/Leopard 2/M1/Leclerc generation?
                          Dont know bout that. The Yankis and the Brits are still making use of MBTs in Iraq, they cant be hurt much by RPGs and they carry quite a punch. IMO that makes them useful tools for intimidation if nothing else. Im shure there are members of the board who will testify to their usefulness from first hand experience.

That said I dont think MBT's have a place in the DF, the most we would need is something like the CV90-105 or the like.
                          Im Ron Burgendy??

Comment

• Scorpions don't operate on Irish roads
                            I've seen pictures which would disprove that.

Aren't a lot of militaries cottoning on to the fact that heavy armour with a big eff-off gun is a very handy thing to have for PSO type work?

Comment

• We offered some cheiftain MK5s ...FOC....which could n't be delivered to the end user..the thought at the time was to buy three or for for training purposes but logistics mainataince..ammunition fuel consumption serviceabilt transport..all were mitigating circumsatnces...none or a lot...and given the overall cost and the fact the army operates around the concept of an infantry brigade..simple answer,,,,NO
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
                                I've seen pictures which would disprove that.

Aren't a lot of militaries cottoning on to the fact that heavy armour with a big eff-off gun is a very handy thing to have for PSO type work?
                                Enter the Leopard 2 PSO:

"Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Working...
                                X