Replacement NSR Launch / New NS Port Security Launches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification around at Sea.

'At sea' is the declared time and date of the patrol which may include time alongside or at anchor as necessity demands...being 'under way' is not a requirement.

As for the manning crisis, a good commander must make the best use of the available resources but the gap does not seem to get smaller. The NS reached a point last year where the gap fill method was not enough. Thus two ships put into reserve due to lack of crew, but the downward spiral continues. This crisis has not suddenly come upon the Services but has been a long slow decline which is now reaching a tipping point. Unless something radical changes I fear more and more ships will be put into reserve
    Agreed, but believe it or not its not the first time the NS has been in this position.

The people with control of the public sector pay are responsible, but the problem is bigger than the DF and as Public / Civil servants they cannot be paid what they actually need to get the services back up to par.

The reduction in Public sector pay back in 2010 through pension levies and wage cuts is what has us where we are.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• It is interesting to look at how other maritime countries of a similar size organise their maritime forces. Denmark is about the same size as us and they have three maritime forces:
      - Royal Danish Navy
      - Royal Danish Navy Reserve
      - Maritime Home Guard

The Reserve is mainly concerned with supporting the regular Navy and currently advertise mainly technical positions.

The Home Guard is more focused on local coastal defence although they are now allowed to serve on missions abroad. Sorry it is in Danish but the following site shows where they have their units, normally each with their own boat. For those that are interested both the reserve and home guard site contain a lot of information, but in Danish.

https://www.hjv.dk/oe/MHV/organisati...r/default.aspx

Their equipment consists of two boat types;
      18x MHV800 (83t, 23.7m)
      12x MHV900 (87t, 27.2m)

Not sure what the reaction would be of having 30 odd patrol boats dotted around the coast basically one in ever decent sized harbour.

Comment

• Denmark, like the other Scandi countries, and France and Germany has a deeply embedded marine culture in the population and boat ownership is widespread, as are the consequent marine skill-sets. Denmark also has a strategic position as the gateway to the Baltic and everybody up there takes that very seriously, which is why it has a strong Navy and Reserve. For an island nation, our marine culture is laughable by comparison.

Comment

• the site is excellent and available in English.

Comment

• We should have asked these guys to stay at home

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              http://www.irishships.com/famous_irish_mariners.html

We should have asked these guys to stay at home
              If you ask them back then you will have to ask back many more like the 3,600 that were with Nelson at Trafalgar, or the many 1,000's of others that have served in the Royal Navy over the years. A great many Irishmen have fought either for the Royal Navy or against it over the centuries. But we do little to recognise that as it was for foreign nations. So it is that a lot of our naval history is the history of others, like for example the Russians.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...ssia-1.3804954

Irish served in the navies of all the major European powers, the French, the Spanish, the Austrian, for Sweden, the many German states. They have been part of the founding of many of the navies of the Americas. The amount of naval history of the Irish would fill several books.

Comment

• Dont forget the Merchant navy in WW2; I had a grand uncle that survived being torpedoed. he was the only survivor and was picked up by an RN destroyer and landed in America.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                  Dont forget the Merchant navy in WW2; I had a grand uncle that survived being torpedoed. he was the only survivor and was picked up by an RN destroyer and landed in America.
                  A group for brave men who risked their lives to feed and powered our country during WW2. Who were not considered worthy of recognition because they were not killed by the "Brits" failing at something.

Comment

• I'm a DPM reservist, not navy blue, but I'm finding this a fascinating and informative post - well done all
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                      I'm a DPM reservist, not navy blue, but I'm finding this a fascinating and informative post - well done all

Will all be DPM soon... With different colours of course!!

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
                        Will all be DPM soon... With different colours of course!!
                        Was wondering about that. Heard nothing since they were trialled on JJ a while back.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                          Was wondering about that. Heard nothing since they were trialled on JJ a while back.
                          Scheduled for 2021 from what I hear.

Just waiting on the Baldonnel Boys to design theirs now...... I think sky blue, dark blue and black would be perfect!!.

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
                            Scheduled for 2021 from what I hear.

Just waiting on the Baldonnel Boys to design theirs now...... I think sky blue, dark blue and black would be perfect!!.
                            They just need theirs to blend in witht he blue railings as they sneak out the gap at 15.30 on a friday.

Are you around long enough to remember the Navy Blue (later less navy more blue) Combats of the 90s?

Comment

• This is interesting.

Project Vahana does not include the supply of boats to replace HMS Sabre and Scimitar of the RN Gibraltar Squadron. The MoD plans to replace them in 2019 with larger, faster and more heavily armed vessels capable of 35 knots, day and night and operations in sea state 6-7. Although the MoD is looking for at least three bids, Safehaven Marine who built HMS Magpie may be in pole position, potentially utilising a derivative of their excellent Barracuda design. The Irish Navy is planning to build a large €200M Multi-Role Vessel (Possibly similar to military sealift ship HMNZS Canterbury). Giving further work to Safehaven in Ireland may encourage the Dublin government to place the MRV order in the UK.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                                Doubt that would come into to be honest... not even on the radar

At least there is 0% duty on 3rd country imports of warships

Comment

Working...
                                X