No announcement yet.

Replacement NSR Launch / New NS Port Security Launches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's back to pulling whalers < not rowing > for the reserve ,at least it was something they where better at than the regulars at the Naval Regatta , and I agree that this thread has become annoying .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      I have not heard it is for sale, however I can see it ending its life as a dockyard if the Container port isn't moved to Ringaskiddy. That site would be one of the alternatives.
      The large crane next to the drydock is currently out of action. If its not maintained it will go the same as the other inactive cranes down there. Scrap.
      It is going for scrap shortly as insurance is an issue with it. Pity though, it's some feat of engineering.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Test Pilot; 21 October 2007, 20:47.

Comment

• follow RNZN example?

This has probably been said before somewhere, but if the Government/Defence Forces/Naval Service are serious about maritime defence and the contribution of the Naval Service Reserve, one option would be to follow the example of New Zealand:
        "The Inshore Patrol Vessels will provide a platform for vital reserve training in seamanship, navigation and Multi Agency Operations and Taskings. They will have a valuable role in local search and rescue operations and in resource protection duties when required.

Named after New Zealand lakes and previous RNZN ships, The IPV’s will provide a training and service opportunity to all four RNZNVR Divisions.

Inshore Patrol Vessel

Comment

• Any idea what certification the RNZR have to command these vessels?

Comment

• Originally posted by techman1 View Post
            Any idea what certification the RNZR have to command these vessels?
            I think it's a Regular Navy job, Lieutenant with 5-6 years experience. Exec. is a Sub-Lieutenant.

Comment

• Another photo of Canadian Orca Class

A $70m Canadian Dollars contract (€55.7m) for 8 boats, that's just under €7m per boat. Somehow I don't think this would be financially viable for the NS, for use as NSR boats.
              Last edited by Dogwatch; 24 October 2007, 21:38.

Comment

• 'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• 'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• Where's me chequebook?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• affordable

The Australian shipbuilder Austal built 10 of these 38 metre patrol boats for the Yemen. (They are export versions of the Bay class vessels built for the Australian Customs Service.) They cost less than €4 million each.

Comment

• This is one of the original Pacific class patrol boats, the basis for subsequent Australian designs, and also for the Canadian 'Orca' class (www.sfu.ca/casr/bg-orca-origins-9.jpg).

Comment

• To repeat what Dogwatch said, please keep in mind.....

Originally posted by Dogwatch View Post

A $70m Canadian Dollars contract (€55.7m) for 8 boats, that's just under €7m per boat. Somehow I don't think this would be financially viable for the NS, for use as NSR boats.

Comment

• So what is the budget limit for an NS boat?

Comment

• Originally posted by carrington View Post
                              So what is the budget limit for an NS boat?
                              Given that the purchase of their current craft was low enough to not even register as spending, I'd say less than a million.

You can get a lot of boat for under a million.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                                Given that the purchase of their current craft was low enough to not even register as spending, I'd say less than a million.

You can get a lot of boat for under a million.

How many boats are they looking for? Aren't there four NSR units, in Dublin, Waterford, Cork and Limerick? Do they get one (or more) each?

New or secondhand? If the usage level is going to be relatively low, secondhand might be adequate, and you could get a lot more boat for your buck.

To handle existing roles, or will there be (should there be?) any change in role? Perhaps the next White paper should include an extension of the roles of the NSR, along the lines of the Canadian or New Zealand navies?

Comment

Working...
                                X