Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He'll do.
    Did he have any more to say about it?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• From what I heard, the NSR won't be getting anything else unless they can provide personnel to operate them throughout the year. The voluntary nature of the NSR seems to be the problem: people can't be depended on, or at least that's how it's seen from the top.

Comment

• Again I must repeat myself. The NSR WILL be getting ONE 60feet launch. No tender gone out yet. The Flag wants the TWO new ships agreed and signed off. I agree the NSR is hard pressed to operate what we have at the moment and it is of concern for all senior per on the NSR.

Comment

• Doesn't the flag also want to have the Launch/workboat available for use by the NS? For example instead of using the RIBs to provide port security during the visit of certain foreign warships, and to act as a target craft during fleet exercises(instead of having to borrow some civvy tug).

60foot is a lot of boat.

Comment

• So by that decree the NS is no longer interested in having reserve crews for PVs
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• I heard the NSR is eager to regain some of the small boat skills they used to have when most of their training craft was sail powered, and move away from just being "spare bods" for the NS. This is eating into training time, and providing senior rates and officers with nothing to achieve. If they are to be replacements, they should be able to replace everyone on th eship with a reservist, not just the A/seas.
              The BPs are fine but have no military use. Converted angling boats have less usefulness. If you intend using engines, it needs to be with a planing craft of some sort.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                I heard the NSR is eager to regain some of the small boat skills they used to have when most of their training craft was sail powered, and move away from just being "spare bods" for the NS. This is eating into training time, and providing senior rates and officers with nothing to achieve. If they are to be replacements, they should be able to replace everyone on th eship with a reservist, not just the A/seas.
                The BPs are fine but have no military use. Converted angling boats have less usefulness. If you intend using engines, it needs to be with a planing craft of some sort.
                I think you're right that the NSR is just seen as providing cover for NS leave during the summer, and doing minimal training otherwise.

It's a chicken-and-egg situation: the reserve isn't taken seriously because it doesn't do very much, but it isn't given much to do because it's not taken seriously.

The solution - IMHO - is to give the reserve a task or tasks that is additional to existing NS capabilities, and then to provide the necessary resources, which in turn would attract people who were interested and motivate them to turn up on a regular basis and develop their skills and provide career progression. Some examples of the sort of roles the NSR could undertake have been mentioned in earlier discussions: force protection for NS and visiting ships in Irish ports, mine counter-measures, and inshore fishery protection. I'm sure other members can come up with other ideas.

Comment

• I had the Pleasure of being out in one of Safehaven Marines 42 foot Catmaran workboats earlier. Perfect in my opinion, for the Naval Service Reserve's intended use for such a boat.

The owner of Safehaven would be particularly keen to build a Grey Boat, should those intending to make a decision make their minds up. The Cat has fantastic handling, able to turn on her own length, and is immensely stable. Both engines are easily accessed for maintenance, and the roomy salon also can be fitted out with a galley and cabin below deck if required.

Comment

• More photos of the above boat.( "Dark Star" Wildcat 40)

Flying Bridge controls.

Size Comparison with Interceptor 42" Pilot boat.

Large open work area aft.

Support Irish Industry.:wink:

Comment

• class boat, looks the part, where were the photos taken?? I thought it looked like the marina at East ferry with all the trees, til I saw the pilot boat.
                      "The meeting of preparation with opportunity generates the offspring we call luck."

Comment

• Originally posted by Galway hooker11 View Post
                        class boat, looks the part, where were the photos taken?? I thought it looked like the marina at East ferry with all the trees, til I saw the pilot boat.
                        It is East ferry, that's a new pilot boat that has just been built for St Malo, I think.

Comment

• Cork Harbour is masquerading as St Malo at the moment. Its the Marina at East Ferry/Marlog in Cobh.

Safehaven are building Pilot Boats for other european ports at the moment, so the Confusion will continue.

Imagine the liner passengers waking up to be greeted on their Atlantic cruise by a boat bearing the title "Port of Sines" on the side, when they were only expected to visit Cork.

Comment

• Just wondering; would it be nuts for the NSR to operate a landing craft like the Jurmo Class:

Or is it a bit of a stretch to give them a role like that

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
                              Just wondering; would it be nuts for the NSR to operate a landing craft like the Jurmo Class:

Or is it a bit of a stretch to give them a role like that
                              "It has excellent maneuverability and can come to a full stop in
                              only one ship length from top speed"

That's quite impressive, considering the top speed of this craft is listed as 37 knots !!!
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                                "It has excellent maneuverability and can come to a full stop in
                                only one ship length from top speed"

That's quite impressive, considering the top speed of this craft is listed as 3 knots !!!
                                Yeah it seems impressive, but I'm sure it comes at a cost. I was just thinking something like it could possibly be useful for the EPV - and some of the computer generated images of the EPV had a landing craft tucked aboard.

As to the wisdom of giving the NSR a role such as that, I'll leave it to the navy lads to decide

Comment

Working...
                                X