Replacement NSR Launch / New NS Port Security Launches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mo?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

medical officer
      It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

In the NS? I thought that this was a medical Corps speciality.

Comment

sure why not
          There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

just outta curiosity what rank are these new officers. Will the day ever come when one of these officers will command a naval service ship
            There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

These new watch Officers will be ex NS Officers or Merchant Marine Officers. Therefore there would be no reason why they could not command a NS ship. It would probably take several years before the NS would cross that threshold.

The problem would be as follows: The captain of a NS ship is traditionally a Lt Commader. There are only 4 Lt Commander positions available in the NSR. They are the COs of the 4 units.

I think that there would be real resentment amongst NSR Officers if 'blow ins' got the CO appointment. Imagine if you spent 30 years slogging it up the ranks to get to LT and then just as you are about to get the top spot, some Technical Support Officer swans in and takes it with only a couple of years service in the NSR

I think the NS are aware of this concern. I would like to think this Technical Support Unit is more use to the NS than the NSR.

Ideally, I would say, let the Technical Support Unit Officers provide the relief for NS watch keeping Officers onboard the ships and let the NSR off to operate the smaller inshore boats.

Everyone's a winner.

Comment

As Kermit has said the Technical Support Unit is not part of the 4 Coys, so a Tech Support Officer won't command one (unless they transfer to one).

I may of missed something but is the whole point of the reorg not to make use more useful to the PDF?

Comment

These are 3 of the 5 boats currently in regular use by the NSR. The Yacht is Tailte, and inside, painted grey are Aine Laoi and Freya.

Comment

The Aine Laoi is an Offshore 105 if i remeber correctly, that style of vessel is well suited and the Aine laoi was a great investment.... unfortunately it was such a great investment, the higher ups decided to shag it up right quick by putting a restrictor on her engines. She could barely make planeing speed

Still an improvement over the "Nancy" tho although those were some good ole times
                    Last edited by Guest; 13 November 2005, 13:01.

Comment

For the NSR, taken from Goldies site, I hope he doesnt mind

What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

How about half a dozen of these ?
                        'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

I do not know if they would be generaly useful, it would depend on what mission is given to the NSR.
                          "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                          Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                          Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

They would be in line to serve with Army Engineer Corps/Army Diving Section (Army Engineers Have Experience operating Similiar Craft) Than the NSR as they would be more apporate to see them getting vessel that beneifit them first and then the NS and then possibly the Army as a platform for Divers etc..

*oh and i say that new form of Fast assault Craft Vessel is probably a modern derifitive of the British Rigid Raider which seen many years of service with HM Forces
                            British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
                            Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

Again, depending on training needs, what about something like the stormforce 11 ?

Those RM boats are very exposed looking, though I see the article talks about operating 30nm offshore. Rather them than me.

Something like the stormforce might give the NSR the capability for excellent navigational training. I've been to Scotland and back on one, excellent piece of kit. Reasonably afordable, around £150000 a throw.
                              'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Personally i would think if the NSR/NS were to recieve something suggested by Goldie at the begining of this Thread would add imensly as a whole to the Naval service As a whole they would prime training vessl as well as very suitable to are needs they be also very useful to the Key Partners of the Defence Forces

They Could be a excellent platform for Army Divers to utilize and also could patrol maritime exclusion zone that are imposed during Naval And Air Corp Shoots Annually or when Foreign Naval Visit ports etc.. Here another image i aquired from Goldies Link to the VT Website..
                                Attached Files
                                British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
                                Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

Working...
                                X