Single boot concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spider pig View Post
    I concur with Fantasia. The sole of the boot is too inflexible. Where other countries, eg our BA neighbors are going down the road of hybrid boot/runners which in my opinion makes sense. We’re meant to be incredibly mobile on a hypothetical battle field.

BA are currently sporting AKU which is far easier and looking at both Solomon and cloudrock. Waterproof and support yet designed to be running or mobile
    Buddy of mine bought the Black version of the British issue AKU's.(God knows why when he will have less than a years wear out of them when we go brown) Only yesterday he was complaining about how they were letting in water. No point in having a "Combat trainer" if your feet are soaking wet when you wear them.

The grass isn't always greener. OF course the rollout of the scouts won't stop people buying different boots.That will always continue.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
      Does the LOI apply to all branches RDF and PDF ?
      PDF Operational units first IE Combat,Combat support. Then CSS. Then HQ,Training Units and Installations Eg 1+ 2 BTI. After that one would be fairly certain that should RDF meet the normal criteria for issue of Operational boots they would be issued them. My guess though is that RDF will be lumped in with Cadets and Recruits and continue to recieve Black Haix until stocks run out. Just a guess though. LOI doesn't mention RDF.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Thats OK thanks the intakes are slow enough anyway. This is only for op boots correct barrack boot is still black right ?

As an aside after many years in the hills walking for leisure I'm gone from boots for a while now and swear by Lowa trail shoes like Sirkos.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
          PDF Operational units first IE Combat,Combat support. Then CSS. Then HQ,Training Units and Installations Eg 1+ 2 BTI. After that one would be fairly certain that should RDF meet the normal criteria for issue of Operational boots they would be issued them. My guess though is that RDF will be lumped in with Cadets and Recruits and continue to recieve Black Haix until stocks run out. Just a guess though. LOI doesn't mention RDF.
          Single force concept

Comment

• Ok I’ll admit that I haven’t used the AKU but I do know plenty that swear by them. If they are letting in water maybe that’s why the BA went with two boots.... which again begs the question, is there a one boot solution?

Personally ic gone through an awful lot of boots and have gone firm on the Solomon forces. In my opinion it’s a great all round boot. Can wear it on a good battle PT and it’s like wearing runners or wear it in tactical environment and it holds up really well. Good under heavy weight and in the wet. Had zero issues with them and probably my top recommendation if people are willing to spend.

Obviously you have a lot of the LOWA family in the top spots as well.

The scouts on the other hand. I just can’t get by the sole. It’s so bleeding chunky and firm it drives me mad. Like constantly wearing a new pair of boots. They’re like a regimental boot without the shine

I’ll agree with you on the upkeep. It’s going to be a nightmare and I’m sure will cause many an aneurysm among the RSMs. I have already seen some whacky haix scouts about
            Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

• A thought occurred to me(I know,hold the front page. Will the dropshorts and Whingeineers be issued the standard Brown Operational boots AND the Safe toe version they bought?

Inf, Arty and Cav are the first units to be kitted out in each Formation. So it will be interesting to see.

Comment

• Why would dropshorts need anything other than the safety boots....
                Safety boots can be operational too.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                  Why would dropshorts need anything other than the safety boots....
                  Safety boots can be operational too.
                  Indeed. That settles it so. One pair of boots for the Dropshorts.

I wonder how long it will take to get us into brown Barracks boots?

Comment

• Just wait until lads start wearing them around barracks, it’ll be pointed out that barrack boots for barracks , they’ll say their magnums are ruined .....stores will say no issue because overseas and recruits. There will be a cluster of brown and black all over the place. It’s going to be a cluster****
                    Last edited by spider pig; 22 October 2020, 00:10.
                    Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

• Yup. Really gonna put the cat amongst the pigeons.

"Operational use only". So does that include Regimental duties???Especially Stand toos who may have to deploy at short notice? The hotel???

Someone in J1 has a lot of thinking to do before producing an amendment to A9.
                      Last edited by apod; 22 October 2020, 12:59.

Comment

Why?? I wore them for the Part 3 recently. Way lighter and more comfortable than the Old Haix.Sole is thicker than the magnums so if you are walking on gravel etc you don't feel every single stone.

A positive move in one way.I still have doubts about Soldiers abilities to maintain them due to a lack of proper issued maintenance products and I reckon this could lead to a a lot of boots being ruined.

Now all we have to do is sort out the Barracks boots. Brown Magnums anyone???
                        Not sure about you, but I got the single tube of Haix black polish and that was it. Everything after was down to myself.

For the scout the like of Nikwax Fabric and Leather Proof is appropriate and it doesn't cost the earth.

Haix do a few nice full grain leather boots for the likes of the danish and dutch armies that would be ideal as barrack boots. They're light and great for the likes of the IT's etc.

Comment

• You could get tubes of the Haix cream from stores on demand. They had box loads of it.

I have used Nikwax Nubuck and suede proof on the scouts after washing with Nikwax footwear cleaning gel.

I recently invested in a tube of clear Haix cream for use on them. The French issue the same variant of cream with the Haix Nepals.

Haix do a Brown cream also but that might completely change the boots colour. As it is the clear cream does darken them slightly but not too much.

I use the cream for keeping the uppers supple between uses and wash them and reproof as required using the Nikwax products.

On another note I wonder if the level 5 restrictions are going to slow down the issue plan again?
                          Last edited by apod; 25 October 2020, 14:35.

Comment

• 1948 pairs of Haix scouts issued to 1 BDE stores by OCES last thursday. Just waiting for the go to issue. C and CS units getting them first. CSS units,HQ and BTC coming after.

2BDE/DFTC started issuing yet?

*Edited for correct figure.My bad*
                            Last edited by apod; 7 December 2020, 17:05.

Comment

1798 pairs of Haix scouts issued to 1 BDE stores by OCES last thursday. Just waiting for the go to issue. C and CS units getting them first. CSS units,HQ and BTC coming after.

Knowing DF procurement, there will be 1500 pairs in sizes 5-8 and 12-14 and 298 size 9-11.

Comment

1798 pairs of Haix scouts issued to 1 BDE stores by OCES last thursday. Just waiting for the go to issue. C and CS units getting them first. CSS units,HQ and BTC coming after.

The 1798 Brown Boot Rebellion.

Comment

Working...
                                X