No announcement yet.

Irish Naval Mediterranean EU rescue patrols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah fine, use my photo...I don't mind....
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 11 May 2015, 15:39.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Blame Google, it was freely available.

Comment

• http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-32690312

If anyone needs reminding of how dangerous the area is that we are deploying to, read about the Turkish freighter which was attacked today by artillery and jets belonging to one of the warlords who now rule Libya.

Comment

• Well, I hope Eithne's air search radar is operational. Would also be nice to have Link-11 on such a deployment.

Spend the next couple of weeks practicing anti-surface & anti-aircraft gunnery, and the less warry humanitarian stuff too.
          Last edited by pym; 11 May 2015, 18:38.

Comment

• Sorry it's in room 101. That is the DA05 is u/s.

Comment

• Can it be fixed is the obvious question. I know the bottom end of it was past its sell by date long ago (i.e the crt screen in the ops room). Its something that could/should be kept up to date as a matter of routine, if purely for security at home. In the Past Eithne acted as point defence during the visit of various POTUS.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• signaal DA05

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                Can it be fixed is the obvious question. I know the bottom end of it was past its sell by date long ago (i.e the crt screen in the ops room). Its something that could/should be kept up to date as a matter of routine, if purely for security at home. In the Past Eithne acted as point defence during the visit of various POTUS.
                Just call in Signaal-Phillips and have the system resurrected. No system or ship should be diminished in it's potential on the grounds of expediency. It should never have happened and it's embarrassing given the effort to put the ops end of Eithne together.

Comment

• And interestingly enough Thales have some suggestions:

http://www.thales7seas.com/html_2014/product205.html

Comment

• whan did the DAO5 become U/S? trying to find recent photos but most seem to still have the dish in place on the mast...
                    Could they embark an RBS 70 team or possibly a giraffe with a bofors in the hangar that could be rolled out? not sure how effective that would be though. this is a joke.
                    Last edited by morpheus; 12 May 2015, 10:36.
                    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• The Antenna is there for appearance. A very balanced view of where we should be attempting to go with "Patrol ships" is an article THE PATROL SHIP MYTH in THINK DEFENCE. Basically around our coast, on home duties, our installed packages of surveillance and weapons meets a standard. However if we put ships into a survivability ,surprise attack environment , then we are not Good to Go. We need early detection, tracking, and engagement of multi-targets.

Comment

• ....the DoD will trot out the usual line that the DF has been provided with the equipment required to do it's job,etc,etc...

Comment

• And in fairness they are, the NS aren't tasked for "hot" environments

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                            whan did the DAO5 become U/S? trying to find recent photos but most seem to still have the dish in place on the mast...
                            Could they embark an RBS 70 team or possibly a giraffe with a bofors in the hangar that could be rolled out? not sure how effective that would be though. this is a joke.
                            The Aussies have deployed RBS 70 on navy ships in the past. It is however purely cosmetic. The mount is unstabilised and the RBS70 requires the operator to keep the crosshairs on the target all the way to impact. A tricky enough proposition on Terra Firma. Practically impossible from a rolling ship.
                            For a cheap anti air/missile capability try this(as posted in the other thread):
                            http://www.mbda-systems.com/mediagal...1424429844.pdf

Complete the relatively simple DA05 life extension modifications as posted above and you have a minimal capability. This is a good time for the NS to be frank on the threat environment and to achieve some increase in defensive capability under an Urgent Operational Requirement equivalent arrangement. One need only point to the 2006 missle attack on INS Hanit for reference on what happens to a naval vessel left unprotected in an asymmetrical threat environment.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              And in fairness they are, the NS aren't tasked for "hot" environments
                              the crew of the tanker(?) that got shelled by land artillery and bombed by air attack off the coast of Libya in the last week might not agree with the DOD's definition of the Med being 'not hot'...

the proposed anti-piracy job in the Indian Ocean that was on until a month ago would not have been 'fisheries protection with brown people', its calmed down a lot, but would not have risk free.
                              Last edited by ropebag; 12 May 2015, 12:14.

Comment

• Bottom line, if the state intends to deploy vessels to environments that contain a threat greater than small arms fire, they should provide the proper defensive measures.

Comment

Working...
                                X