No announcement yet.

Defence forces Deployment to UNDOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to a post I read on the Phillipine DF page(which I can't seem to find to link) on facebook, the troops were ordered to surrender by the UN commander but their own CINC told them to attempt a breakout.

If true that they disobeyed orders then were the Irish disobeying orders to assist them or was it a case of 'I told them not to but they're doing it anyway so we'll assist them any way we can'
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
      According to a post I read on the Phillipine DF page(which I can't seem to find to link) on facebook, the troops were ordered to surrender by the UN commander but their own CINC told them to attempt a breakout.

If true that they disobeyed orders then were the Irish disobeying orders to assist them or was it a case of 'I told them not to but they're doing it anyway so we'll assist them any way we can'
      My understanding was that there where two Filipino positions (69 and 68 on the UN Map) under heavy attack. The Irish troops helped evacuate one (and helped evacuate some other positions not directly under attack) however, the Filopine troops extracted under the cover of darkness from the second position without any assistance from Irish troops.
      "Winston, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your coffee." - Lady Astor....
      ''Nancy, if you were my wife, I'd drink it'' - Winston Churchill

Comment

• anyone got anything to go on about the Fijians? Couldn't think of them giving up without a fight...

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
          If what Ive heard is true, we should be thanking Syria too for shelling rebel positions to cover the Fillipinos withdrawal back in safe hands.
          And the Izzies.?

Comment

• Heres what Ive heard, and granted maybe its wrong....
            Israelis too ... they also helped out.
            The irish extricated one unit - 69 - which was surrounded, during this mission they were fired upon and returned fire. (this is pretty normal in this AO from what we all hear)
            Over at position 68, The fillipinos fought a battle with rebels who tried to ram down the main gate, after most of a day holding off rebels, during which they were mortared etc, they extracted themselves and all weapons under cover of darkness, this was covered by syrian forces mortaring rebel positions around the UN post. They then spent 2 hours moving 2km where they were met up by a joint irish fillipino force who further extracted them back to HQ. Im not sure of the role Israel played, but they did do something, whether that was just covering the move from their side, or intel etc who knows. Good news day - bar the Fijians.

I dont know but there are comms coming from Phillipines saying that the CO ordered all units to surrender weapons etc to the rebels, but the fillipinos were ordered by their own commanders back home to under no circumstances surrender their weapons and themselves as their safety could not be guaranteed.

Maybe the Fijians followed this order and the fillipinos didnt?
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Million-dollar question is, in similar circumstances what would an Irish contingent do?
              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• That's heresay

Comment

• IMO they absolutely wouldn't surrender their weapons.
                  "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• BBC Website

Syria conflict: Fresh clashes erupt in Golan HeightsSmoke rises from a UN base in the Golan Heights demilitarised zone (1 September 2014) The Syrian government has lost control of most of the Quneitra area to rebels led by the al-Nusra Front

Renewed fighting between rebels and government forces is being reported in the Syrian Golan Heights, where 44 UN peacekeepers were abducted last week.

Activists said heavy clashes were raging around the Quneitra crossing, which rebels seized on Wednesday.

The whereabouts of the peacekeepers from Fiji is unclear, but it is thought they are being held by an al-Qaeda-affiliated rebel group, al-Nusra Front.

Al-Nusra says they are safe, and so far no demands appear to have been made.

Seventy-two Filipino peacekeepers were also surrounded in two different areas, but they managed to escape over the weekend.

'Expel observers'

Persistent gunfire and explosions could be heard from the Israeli-occupied Golan on Monday as Syrian rebels and government forces battled for controlled of the Quneitra crossing and the village of Hamidiya.

The Reuters news agency reported that at least one Syrian army tank was involved and that rebels were moving with a few metres of a fence marking the 1974 ceasefire line.

UN observers in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights (1 September 2014) The UN is working to secure the release of the peacekeepers seized on Thursday
                    The head of the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Sami Abdul Rahman, said al-Nusra appeared to want to "end once and for all the regime's presence in the area" and also to "expel the international observers".

Earlier, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon again demanded the immediate and unconditional release of the Fijian peacekeepers serving with the UN Disengagement Observer Force (Undof) seized on Thursday.

Al-Nusra published on Sunday photographs of what it said were the seized peacekeepers, along with their identification cards. It said they were "in a safe place and in good health".

The jihadist group said they were seized because the UN was "ignoring the daily shedding of Muslims' blood in Syria" and co-operating with government forces to "facilitate its movement to strike the vulnerable Muslims" in the demilitarised zone.

Map of Golan Heights
                    The targeting of Undof has led to criticism from contributing nations.

The Republic of Ireland warned it would not send replacements for its 130-member armoured rapid response unit next month if Undof's firepower, command and control, and rules of engagement were not strengthened.

"I've made it very clear that I'm not going to continue to commit Irish troops to this mission unless there's a very fundamental review of how it's going to operate. Clearly this is no longer a demilitarized zone," Irish Defence Minister Simon Coveney told RTE radio.

This is not the first time Undof personnel have been detained by rebel fighters in recent years. Peacekeepers were detained in March and May of 2013 and were released safely.

Israel seized most of the Golan Heights in the closing stages of the 1967 Six-Day War, and thwarted a Syrian attempt to retake it in 1973. Both countries signed an armistice in 1974, after which Undof was put in place to monitor the demilitarised zone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                      Million-dollar question is, in similar circumstances what would an Irish contingent do?
                      in the wider context its one of those delightful 'theres no correct answer' questions we ask at RMAS and ACSC 'two chains of command telling you to do very different things, how do you as the senior bloke on the ground decide?'..

in the very narrow context i'd hope that no Irish Officer would surrender to a bunch of nutjobs just because the UN says 'it'll be fine..'. of course, if the Government had ordered him to surrender, now that would be an interesting little conundrum...

Comment

• I know I'm probably gonna get some backlash off this comment from people saying stuff like 'Oh its easy to say that when you're not there' or 'Thats just bravado'

But I 100 percent believe that if faced with that situation I would rather try and fight my way out than surrender. Even if ordered to do so by a superior. I would rather die in the unlikely hope of getting out and maybe taking a few with me than surrendering and having the chance of being beheaded on al-jazeera.

And shame on the UN commander for ordering a surrender.
                        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

...And shame on the UN commander for ordering a surrender.
                          standard UN fayre - they are trapped in a 1970's mindset that says that the UN is the respected impartial referee that all sides accept the need for. for AN, the UN is as much the enemy as the Syrian Army or the Israeli's, but the UN can't quite get its head around that...

Comment

• But this wasn't a surrender to a legitimate military organisation or national army. This was ordering troops to surrender to a RADICAL RELIGIOUS EXTREMIST group which has no qualms about beheading people for shits and giggles.

He effectively has ordered them to die.

And I hate to be pessimistic about the situation but part of me just knows that the Fijians aren't getting out of this alive.

Comment

...I hate to be pessimistic about the situation but part of me just knows that the Fijians aren't getting out of this alive.
                              AN have issued their demands...

http://http://www.theguardian.com/wo...ji-nusra-front

1. to be taken off the UN's list of Terrorist Groups.
                              2. compensation for 3 AN bearded loons shot by the UN last month in a previous attack.
                              3. a Unicorn. and some muthafckin Dragons bitch...

no problem then.

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                                AN have issued their demands...

http://http://www.theguardian.com/wo...ji-nusra-front

1. to be taken off the UN's list of Terrorist Groups.
                                2. compensation for 3 AN bearded loons shot by the UN last month in a previous attack.
                                3. a Unicorn. and some muthafckin Dragons bitch...

no problem then.
                                And again me being the pessimist of this situation I'll point out that once you start giving out 'Ransoms' whether political or financial it creates a dangerous precedent where UN troops might be targeted for capture so they can be ransomed.

Comment

Working...
                                X