Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and charge us 2 arms 4 legs and suck funding away from improved capabilities in larger vessels
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
      and charge us 2 arms 4 legs and suck funding away from improved capabilities in larger vessels
      I thought the funding was in the white paper for counter mine craft?

Comment

• Originally posted by restless View Post
        Thought it was just "replace the Peacocks with something that can do counter mine"?

Comment

• Yes but wouldnt any counter mine vessel need to be plastic or fiber?

Comment

• What mines?..where.?..we have been dealing with remenants of both world wars quite nicely without having sweepers for the past 30 years..why do we need sweepers now?
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

there is no funding for anything in the WP everything is subject to DPER

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
              Thought it was just "replace the Peacocks with something that can do counter mine"?
              Similar vessels with counter mine & IED capabilities

Originally posted by restless View Post
              Yes but wouldnt any counter mine vessel need to be plastic or fiber?
              depends on the level of capability required

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
              What mines?..where.?..we have been dealing with remenants of both world wars quite nicely without having sweepers for the past 30 years..why do we need sweepers now?
              It would be very very easy for an unfriendly power or terror group to reduce the flow of goods in and out of Ireland all Irish ports are natural choke points

Why does NSDS do berth clearance for potentially interesting vessels

Comment

• It would be very very easy for an unfriendly power or terror group to reduce the flow of goods in and out of Ireland all Irish ports are natural choke points
                It would..... but why limit the options for future spending by looking at populist opinion.

Why does NSDS do berth clearance for potentially interesting vessels
                Because they can......
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  It would..... but why limit the options for future spending by looking at populist opinion.
                  It's a capability gap

Because they can......
                  not because there is a possible threat of IEDs??

Comment

What mines?..where.?..we have been dealing with remenants of both world wars quite nicely without having sweepers for the past 30 years..why do we need sweepers now?
                    Someone in dod/ns must feel we need them, how else could it end up in the white paper

Comment

Someone in dod/ns must feel we need them, how else could it end up in the white paper
                      The white papaer is not worth a shite....ffs they even took my submission into account!

Comment

• They were doing it 30 years ago before the concept of IEDs existed..... because they had trained in the role in the UK

Comment

• Minecountermeasures

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                          They were doing it 30 years ago before the concept of IEDs existed..... because they had trained in the role in the UK
                          In modern times sowing of horny moored mines and wire sweeping channels is more post conflict than at the time of laying a field. The major requirement is dealing with influence mines. A single air dropped ground mine in a port channel will close that port until the mine is made safe by a clearance diving team from a ship designed for that purpose. Likewise harbour facilities and ships may need clearance dives frequently. A minehunter vessel can take care of locating and dealing with influence ground mines whereas an MCMV is needed to sweep and/or deal with the ground mines. Such ships will have a minimal magnetic signature.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                            In modern times sowing of horny moored mines and wire sweeping channels is more post conflict than at the time of laying a field. The major requirement is dealing with influence mines. A single air dropped ground mine in a port channel will close that port until the mine is made safe by a clearance diving team from a ship designed for that purpose. Likewise harbour facilities and ships may need clearance dives frequently. A minehunter vessel can take care of locating and dealing with influence ground mines whereas an MCMV is needed to sweep and/or deal with the ground mines. Such ships will have a minimal magnetic signature.
                            Don't disagree what the requirements for the ship are, but we don't need to isolate scarce funding for ships that may never be used in their full capacity

Comment

Don't disagree what the requirements for the ship are, but we don't need to isolate scarce funding for ships that may never be used in their full capacity
                              In that case we should remove the 76mm's

Comment

• On the assumption that we remain part of Europe and need to contribute manpower, to the common Defence of Europe. We need to develop fleet capability to fill niches in the Defence requirements. We have avoided responsibility so far but that will be eroded over time as we acquire a sense of obligation and duty. We don't have a cabinet level Defence Minister and Defence wasn't mentioned in the re-shuffle of Government exception to say P.Keogh as junior Minister would have responsibility for Defence and other loose political items. It's a parades only agenda that is currently used to gain PR and exposure.

Comment

Working...
                                X