The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    A sad reflection of the current state of the RDF was a photo on Twitter from the RDFRA ADC. About 30 attendees. There was a time when there would be hundreds.
    And it's a paid manday if I remember correctly so thought there would more.

Comment

A sad reflection of the current state of the RDF was a photo on Twitter from the RDFRA ADC. About 30 attendees. There was a time when there would be hundreds.
      I counted 28. And it is a sad reflection of RDFRA, not the RDF - then again, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
      Is there a time of year when the those committees are voted in?
      Yes, officially - it is all on their website which hasn't been updated in years, oh, and you have to know the secret password to access it. Don't believe me, take a look yourself http://rdfra.ie/ .
      In the past, everything that governed RDFRA and decisions that were made were freely available on their website. Then they decided that people knew too much and they knobbled the website, stopped the newsletter and do everything in secret. No one knows when the meetings are or who is allowed to go to them because it is a secret, and that is the way they want it.
      Lets put it this way 28 people showed up, and 12 of those are on the NEC. Add in the brigade committees and you suddenly realise that no one outside the committees was probably there...or even told about it.

And forget about organising your own elections and electing your own reps - that sort of thing is very frowned upon - don't want a thing like democracy and representation disturbing the club.

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      Are sub-unit Committees still represented or is it unit committees (which would mean much less delegates).
      All subunits and units are entitled to send a delegate, possibly 2. And depends if they ever switched over to the new Re-org structure. Wouldn't suit them to and very doubtful that they did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
        I counted 28. And it is a sad reflection of RDFRA, not the RDF - then again, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Yes, officially - it is all on their website which hasn't been updated in years, oh, and you have to know the secret password to access it. Don't believe me, take a look yourself http://rdfra.ie/ .
        In the past, everything that governed RDFRA and decisions that were made were freely available on their website. Then they decided that people knew too much and they knobbled the website, stopped the newsletter and do everything in secret. No one knows when the meetings are or who is allowed to go to them because it is a secret, and that is the way they want it.
        Lets put it this way 28 people showed up, and 12 of those are on the NEC. Add in the brigade committees and you suddenly realise that no one outside the committees was probably there...or even told about it.

And forget about organising your own elections and electing your own reps - that sort of thing is very frowned upon - don't want a thing like democracy and representation disturbing the club.

All subunits and units are entitled to send a delegate, possibly 2. And depends if they ever switched over to the new Re-org structure. Wouldn't suit them to and very doubtful that they did.
        I remember many years ago, being active with RDFRA, and encouraging others in the unit to join. Then a young(ish) officer inquired about why I was doing this, and pointed out he had been involved in the early days, when he was still an NCO, in another unit. I had just been to an ADC(though not as a delegate, but a guest of the NEC, long story), and passed on to him printouts of the many motions that were put forward and voted on.
        I never saw them again. He then decided to take over responsibility for communicating the RDFRA mission to the troops. i.e not at all.
        Later on when he inevitably became inactive, others in the unit were able to share the message, but to me it seemed as if this young officer was restricting exposiure of the RDFRA within the unit, except on his terms. I know he continued to supress it whenever he could, and planned other activities on training nights when we had timetabled information sessions for unit members.
        Many at officer rank feared NCO involvement in the RDFRA. They preferred if it was left in the hands of a small clique of officers and senior NCOs.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Comment

• NSR Recruits began their basic training this weekend, really quick turnaround.

Comment

• 12 NSR recruits in uniform (from latest intake) started training today

Comment

• Didnt realise NSR got DPM.

Comment

Didnt realise NSR got DPM.
                  Oh but we can't be getting our GDR covered in muck down in Kilworth can we?

Much easier to spend days doing drill in too!

Comment

• On a completely unrelated note, I see on TV over the weekend the Former FCA HQ in Lahinch, looking well.
                    That is, every solid building and wooden shack within Lahinch Camp, once the pride of the 22nd Inf Mn (and nobody else) has been demolished, and resurfaced to become a part of the "Castle course golf club"(short game academy). From orientation, it seems that what was once the old square was where the Irish Open prizegiving was held. Hard to say for sure as absolutely no evidence of its existence remains.
                    2 Camps I experienced there. One was good, a steyr instructor course run by 14th Inf Bn, during a 22nd Bn easter camp, the other was a nightmare, shared with the best, and worst combination of Cav and S&T.
                    The place was grossly unsuitable as a place to spend more than one night at. Hopefully it makes a better golf course.
                    However there are stull numerous former FCA hqs that have not been repurposed, almost 15 years since most of them closed down.

Comment

• I heard that the next RDF recruitment campaign is to start in Sept, not Oct. That's only a few weeks away. Have the applicants from the last campaign started training yet, very little on social media

Comment

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
                        I heard that the next RDF recruitment campaign is to start in Sept, not Oct. That's only a few weeks away. Have the applicants from the last campaign started training yet, very little on social media
                        NSR have, DFTC have, I think I heard of at least 1 other unit

Comment

• NSR Recruits in the Naval Base this weekend, its their third.

Comment

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
                            I heard that the next RDF recruitment campaign is to start in Sept, not Oct. That's only a few weeks away. Have the applicants from the last campaign started training yet, very little on social media
                            I applied in the April intake for the 28th Inf, only 3 of us made it past the fitness test and interview. Got the e-mail to process the vetting application on Wednesday there.

Comment

• Originally posted by dshane View Post
                              I applied in the April intake for the 28th Inf, only 3 of us made it past the fitness test and interview. Got the e-mail to process the vetting application on Wednesday there.
                              The time required for the vetting process varies anywhere from from days to months, he ye completed medicals yet?

Comment

• he time required for the vetting process varies anywhere from from days to months
                                Considerable work has been done to get this process down for this recruit intake.

DShane how many turned up for the fitness tests when you did it ?
                                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                                X