This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
    Days onboard ship should be included, current R5 says may require 20hrs a year ????. I wonder has this been considered as part of the redraft. Assign grat to going to sea!
    Grat to be payable on meeting all the old R5 requirements and one week at sea would be a fantastic incentive. Just needs the will. I'm sure most would do more if able.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
      The idea of getting some 40-50m vessels is a snap idea to cope with two short term issues, (a) the lack of crews, (b) the Brexit fishing mess. So some bright-spark comes up with the idea of a smaller boat (best secondhand so it costs next to nothing) and as it is small it should require only a smaller crew. But is this wise and will we still want/need them in 10-15 years?

Any vessels purchased should not turn into the naval version of the Landsverk Unimog Scout Car! Something bought in a hurry at a bargin price that hung around long past the date when it should have been sent to the Glen.
      I may have mentioned it before but we have always been a Navy of circumstances and have never had a static conventional role capability. In this case the circumstance requires vessels capable of policing the Irish sea with sufficient gear and manpower to board , examine, and detain intruding vessels. The vessels at a later stage can be a sensible training asset with possibility of show the flag visits and doing other support roles for divers etc. You will be stuck with them, but they should be as well as, rather than instead of the vessels envisaged for full naval roles.
      Subsequent thread mentioned the role of Ferdia and Setanta. The former was of some assistance but the latter was an aberrance on clear thought. In 1972 we already had P20 , I was her third CO, both she and Ferdia were diesel ships. I was also the commissioning officer for Setanta, boiler empty at a buoy in Harwich harbour. We took her home in an Autumnal storm and found her challenging . I spoke to her last CIL captain who told me we don't go to sea in storms as our work requires calm weather. She was never a patrol vessel and her boilers were an anachronism .
      Lastly the future has to be a statement of conventional naval roles and equipping to carry out those roles. Such naval vessels can indeed do mundane roles, like patrol the Irish sea but the converse is NOT possible for single role vessels to undertake major Naval tasks.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
        I may have mentioned it before but we have always been a Navy of circumstances and have never had a static conventional role capability. In this case the circumstance requires vessels capable of policing the Irish sea with sufficient gear and manpower to board , examine, and detain intruding vessels. The vessels at a later stage can be a sensible training asset with possibility of show the flag visits and doing other support roles for divers etc. You will be stuck with them, but they should be as well as, rather than instead of the vessels envisaged for full naval roles.
        Subsequent thread mentioned the role of Ferdia and Setanta. The former was of some assistance but the latter was an aberrance on clear thought. In 1972 we already had P20 , I was her third CO, both she and Ferdia were diesel ships. I was also the commissioning officer for Setanta, boiler empty at a buoy in Harwich harbour. We took her home in an Autumnal storm and found her challenging . I spoke to her last CIL captain who told me we don't go to sea in storms as our work requires calm weather. She was never a patrol vessel and her boilers were an anachronism .
        Lastly the future has to be a statement of conventional naval roles and equipping to carry out those roles. Such naval vessels can indeed do mundane roles, like patrol the Irish sea but the converse is NOT possible for single role vessels to undertake major Naval tasks.
        Off topic...but I'm going to say it again...write a book or do a podcast or something...you're a fascinating source of history about the Irish Naval Service.
        'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• He's wasting his best tales on us here. (and he has a few).
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by spider View Post
            Off topic...but I'm going to say it again...write a book or do a podcast or something...you're a fascinating source of history about the Irish Naval Service.

There is a PO/Commop (Retd) Stewart Hamilton doing research for a book on the NS at present.

He would be delighted to hear from you @ancientmariner

Stewart Hamilton is on Facebook. Join Facebook to connect with Stewart Hamilton and others you may know. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected.

Comment

• Nice clip of the Lake class shortly after delivery. Seem steady enough in the crosswind. All Seated bridge located high up should keep the windows clear of most waves... I wonder if the seats have cupholders?

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
                There is a PO/Commop (Retd) Stewart Hamilton doing research for a book on the NS at present.

He would be delighted to hear from you @ancientmariner

https://www.facebook.com/stewart.hamilton.90281
                He rang me some time back and I have offered to help him in any way possible. When I retired in 1992 I gave all my papers , on request to Military archives, in Dublin. However I kept all Sailing In /Out states from my time as NO.I on the Maev so I can put my hand on every Man and officer I've sailed with by name and rank. What crews we had up to 70 personnel in bunks and hammocks. However History is just that so hopefully we will push forward with a more fulsome Navy and ships with a deterrent edge.

Comment

• Very positive sounds coming from FOCNS in his Christmas message, it gave one hope for the future as the NS reaches its 75th Birthday (seems like the 50th was just yesterday).

Comment

• Limpet mine found on tanker off Iraq

Last edited by DeV; 1 January 2021, 16:08.

Comment

• Not sure about this one. Limpet mines are usually attached by diver/swimmers to the undersides of the floating target. Propellers, shafts, rudders are common targets but all underwater. The one on show looks like it came out of the shop and put on high and dry above the waterline. They are attached by a strong magnet and will explode on attempted removal.

Comment

Not sure about this one. Limpet mines are usually attached by diver/swimmers to the undersides of the floating target. Propellers, shafts, rudders are common targets but all underwater. The one on show looks like it came out of the shop and put on high and dry above the waterline. They are attached by a strong magnet and will explode on attempted removal.
                        Same

Is someone very obviously trying to provoke conflict?
                        A lot of B52 and tanker activity last few days

Comment

• The Yanks in the Gulf are on standby for an attack by Iran and its proxies on the first anniversary of the US attack on the head of the Republican Guard.

Expect an interesting few days

The US flew nuclear-capable B-52 bombers to the Middle East Wednesday in the latest show of force meant to deter Iran, as defense officials remain divided over the risk posed by the regime and the Iraq-based militias it supports.
                          Last edited by Flamingo; 1 January 2021, 19:31.
                          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Not sure about this one. Limpet mines are usually attached by diver/swimmers to the undersides of the floating target. Propellers, shafts, rudders are common targets but all underwater. The one on show looks like it came out of the shop and put on high and dry above the waterline. They are attached by a strong magnet and will explode on attempted removal.
                            Picture of Aleged Vessel in an unladen state showing the red portion in under the waterline.

Possibly discovered after discharge, and maybe designed to cause a loss of cargo/ Ecological Incident / Blackmail (instead of hijacking)?
                            It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                            It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                            It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                            It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post
                              Picture of Aleged Vessel in an unladen state showing the red portion in under the waterline.

Possibly discovered after discharge, and maybe designed to cause a loss of cargo/ Ecological Incident / Blackmail (instead of hijacking)?
                              The AIS photo is of a different time. Take your point that the limpet mine, as shown, is under the loaded waterline. With the fender close by we can assume it is a picture of the ship with the mined side next to the Jetty. Swimmers would be inclined to work outboard so I would assume she was mined when the displayed side was outboard at an earlier port.

Comment

The AIS photo is of a different time. Take your point that the limpet mine, as shown, is under the loaded waterline. With the fender close by we can assume it is a picture of the ship with the mined side next to the Jetty. Swimmers would be inclined to work outboard so I would assume she was mined when the displayed side was outboard at an earlier port.
                                Not sure about the timeline of discovery but that picture, afaik, is taken where there are 2 ships side by side at sea and the load is being transferred from one to the other

Comment

Working...
                                X