No announcement yet.

DF Parachute course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I flew as crewman on two jump flights in 252, to operate the ramp in flight. In both cases, the jumpers went out in a bunch. One was a tooled-up ARW group and the other was the Black Knights. We dropped them from about 15,000 feet. I also flew on two or three jump flights in 250, where they did use the static lines as well as jump off the ramp. That was back in 1994/5.

regards
    GttC

Comment

I think they do the static line jumping from the EC135s now, saw a vid of it being done a few years back...

So the basic course (static line) is open to everyone but the advanced course is opnly open to people who've completed the basic course or is it only for the ARW?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Tezza View Post
        I think they do the static line jumping from the EC135s now, saw a vid of it being done a few years back...
        Ive never seen the EC135 used but I have seen the AW139 used a few times.

So the basic course (static line) is open to everyone but the advanced course is opnly open to people who've completed the basic course or is it only for the ARW?
        The basic static line course is open to all but the free fall course is only for those who are experienced in the type and meet the application criteria.
        There is no requirement to pass the basic static line course for the free fall course.
        The ARW normally do the DF static line course but go overseas to do a HALO course.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
          Sorry I was probably wrong! was a while since I seen the vid, they were fairly cramped inside so i thought it was the EC135... my bad been in the AW139 alrite doin heli drills but not the EC135...

The basic static line course is open to all but the free fall course is only for those who are experienced in the type and meet the application criteria.
          There is no requirement to pass the basic static line course for the free fall course.
          The ARW normally do the DF static line course but go overseas to do a HALO course.
          Actually think I heard something about them going overseas to do parachuting stuff alrite, wasn't there a pic somewhere before of some ARW guys in the states at some parachuting event? I don't have the pic but I do remember seeing it somewhere before...
          Last edited by Mr. Tezza; 30 November 2011, 02:57.

Comment

HALO is done overseas but also is done from the back of the CASA...

Comment

Just to clarify lads.PCM no longer conduct the Basic(static line) course for the DF.They only concentrate on sports jumping now.PTS(Parachute training school)*is the new authority for conducting static line military jumping for the DF.SF jumping is covered by the ARW.
              There is a whole new TI on Parachuting in the DF out since the summer listing who does what,how and when and more importatnly who funds what.

*PTS is an ex-establishment school of the Air Corps comprised of DF parachuting instructors and Jumpmasters.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

The basic static line course is open to all .
                Seemingly there hasnt been the major uptake on Parachute (Sports) Course that was

anticipated- there is talk of opening the course to a wider audience not just PDF.

The RDF- the NSR - The ONET - the Red Cross (permanent Staf only) and the CD are all going to be invited to nominate personnell.

Its all to do with inclusiveness and other such bull shite terms.
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Did I miss the part where they explained what the strategic use of parachuting in Ireland was?

Comment

yes

its very important at airshows

military celebrations

and random public events...
                      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                        yes

its very important at airshows

military celebrations

and random public events...
                        Don't forget a random jump in an Ex too.

Comment

How else would you deliver the ball to the all blacks V Munster game...

Oh, Wait, that's what fastroping is for...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            How else would you deliver the ball to the all blacks V Munster game...

Oh, Wait, that's what fastroping is for...

We've recce detachments using Nissan's as recce vehicles, aren't even able to fast rope, don't even have decent raingear... But yes, let's teach them how to parachute.

Comment

@HA, Isn't that what the shiny new RG 32s are for? Fast rope out of what? raingear? Army solution in a rainy country? Buy yer own.
                              shite but true.

regards
                              GttC

Comment

Err, would we not be better off concentrateing on an air mobile group, [helicopters] and , maybe, just maybe an amphibious landing group, and just leave the parachuteing to the danger wing and perhaps a small select reccee unit?
                                "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                                Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                                Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                                X