Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of Irish people joining the BA?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing from the 6 people who think they should never come home as to why they hold this view....
    One of the six voted that way because he had no choice- what a biased poll!
    The poll options are a bit extreme! I don't approve of them but I certainly don't think they should "never come home"!
    "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
    Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
      Bagger

Regular posters may notice my new smiling helpful approach
      you have Vosper and the other lad to thank for putting me in my place

Thats a good boy Hedgehog or else you are sickening for something, pity your mate wouldnt try and be the same.
      VosperM1
      ( newbie and possibly will always be )

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
        Ya but, they have to wear those sh1tty bearskins and Do that ceremonial shite!!!! That wouldn't be fun at all!!!!
        Only If you join Queens company. The other 3 companies dont do any of that nonsense and consequently are actually very "relaxed" about their dress. In fact they actually look shoddier than most normal infantry units a lot of the time.

Originally posted by Jeffrey Donaldson

He added that many Irish people joined the British army at the period out of a "commitment" to the British crown that embraced a "deep sense of patriotism".

Mr Donaldson said that while there were advances in recent years in the Republic commemorating the sacrifice and commitment of these soldiers, there was "still some way to go before there is full recognition given to the brave men and women who gave their lives in defence of freedom and democracy not just in the first World War but in subsequent conflicts while serving with the British army".

He said: "I think President McAleese could be someone who could give a lead in this.

"Rather than trying to rewrite history what we should be doing is setting history in its proper context and encouraging development of the strong links between the United Kingdom and the Irish Republic and its shared heritage."
        I think Mr Donaldson is also trying to rewrite history or else is blinded by his own beliefs. He will be wanting to take a Union flag down O'connel street next!

Originally posted by Jeffrey Donaldson
        He said there was one case of soldiers from a nationalist part of Belfast marching through the city before heading off to fight in the first World War by a band playing The Wearing of the Green, A Nation Once Again and Rule Britannia.
        I dont like the way this is put across as an unusual incident and a case of loyalty to the crown on the part of volunteers from nationalist backgrounds.
        Irish units still do similar gestures with the music they play, that way noone gets offended with the music that is played. It is normal enough to hear the sash followed by the wearing of the green played in the same set!
        Last edited by Turncoat; 10 January 2009, 23:04.
        Faugh A Ballagh

Comment

Enhancing the Catholic/Nationalist background of the Irish Guards would definatly have an impact in the decision factor of potential irish recruits.

Its only natural for potential irish recruits to be concerned about the stigma of joining the british army.

But hey alot has changed and it hasn't stopped alot of people, yet there is still a stigma associated with it especially in border areas and parts of northern ireland. Personally if i was to join, most of my friends and definatly my family would be very supportive, but the stigma still exists and you'd be reminded of it constantly, probably in joke form without any real malice.

That stigma shouldn't be ignored and because of the history and culture of the irish guards i feel would be a great influence in the overall decision of potential irish recruits. (but if its the only reason someone wants to join the guards then they're really really in it for the wrong reasons, i agree on that)

Comment

Originally posted by VosperM1 View Post
            Thats a good boy Hedgehog or else you are sickening for something, pity your mate wouldnt try and be the same.
            VosperM1
            ( newbie and possibly will always be )
            DOnt be an arse hole

my patience and new years resoloution can only go so far

now for the good of us all leave me alone
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

DOnt be an arse hole

my patience and new years resoloution can only go so far

now for the good of us all leave me alone

Ah back to normal eh!

Comment

Originally posted by VosperM1 View Post
                Ah back to normal eh!
                Mirror mirror etc...:wink:

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea." Boswell
                  I have a great deal of respect for anyone who ever served or has an intention of serving

well done to them

I would have sooooooooooo much respect for Vosper if

he joined the foreign legion

Comment

Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
                    I'd be interested in hearing from the 6 people who think they should never come home as to why they hold this view....
                    im the 7th

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny2times View Post
                      im the 7th
                      Do you actually hold the view that they shouldn't come home or did you say that because it was the only answer like that available.

Would you think the same thing if someone joined the Armed forces of another country, or is it just the BAF???
                      I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

No I hold the opinion that they shouldn't come home, not while serving under the crown anyway.

and no, i dont give a damn about any other army but i have my own personal moral objection against the support of the army and government that still occupies the country I was born and reared in with her own people.

The again, It's my own opinion, and of course im entitled to it.

Comment

I think I'm going to be sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny2times View Post
                            No I hold the opinion that they shouldn't come home, not while serving under the crown anyway.

and no, i dont give a damn about any other army but i have my own personal moral objection against the support of the army and government that still occupies the country I was born and reared in with her own people.

The again, It's my own opinion, and of course im entitled to it.
                            And so it began

mate your on the wrong web site

you should be on

www.stuckinthe70's.com

or https://www.armchairrepublicans/and/...rted/clowns.eu
                            Last edited by hedgehog; 12 January 2009, 16:22.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
                              I have a friend who is very republican in his views on anything politics wise. In fact I have a few but I happened to talk to this guy about this issue. The way he saw it was that in joining the Brit forces when Irish, you where turning gun's on your own people. He saw it as turning your back on your own people and supporting an army that for years had put down Irish people.
                              The issue really seems to be how long it takes before your willing to forgive and forget. In a strange way I kinda respected his views as he seemed to have reason for his beliefs. Too many people take the Anti-Brit line without knowing a damn thing about the history or the Brit Army itself. It also had a lot to do with his family. To put it into perspective on how strongly republican this family was, he told me one member of the family had joined the BA years ago. None of the rest of the family have talked to that family member since. I found that quite sad but that's the way the family is.
                              He knows nothing about my time in the TA, as I figured that would probably make things uncomfortable between both of us. But it was interesting to hear his viewpoint.
                              Last edited by Goose; 12 January 2009, 16:24.

Comment

And so it began

mate your on the wrong web site

you should be on

www.stuckinthe70's.com

or https://www.armchairrepublicans/and/...rted/clowns.eu

Hear hear!

Comment

Working...
                                X