Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOD: Topic gents. Take RDF establishment talk to the "Future of the RDF thread".

PS: Before we do though Why would you need RDF BSM's when there are no RDF BATTALIONS???????
    Last edited by apod; 26 September 2020, 10:40.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
      MOD: Topic gents. Take RDF establishment talk to the "Future of the RDF thread".

PS: Before we do though Why would you need RDF BSM's when there are no RDF BATTALIONS???????
      Same reason you have 5 RDF Lt Cols....
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
        No pace stick?
        God help the first one who "misplaces" (ie loses) it!
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          God help the first one who "misplaces" (ie loses) it!
          I'm sure like anything issued, if you are deficient in a kit inspection, you'll probably have to be able to account for it, or else to stump up?
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
            No pace stick?
            No. Only a few individuals I've seen in my time in the DF ever carried one, most had them as family heirlooms, I haven't seen any members of the DF actually using them for the purpose of measuring.

Comment

• Never seen pace stick in the DF . Definite bang of "next door" off them
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• At least a pace stick is practical unlike a swagger stick.

Comment

• Originally posted by smegers View Post
                  At least a pace stick is practical unlike a swagger stick.
                  Wrong. There is a practical purpose for both.

The idea behind the cane or swagger stick is for indicating faults during inspection.
                  It is impolite to point with one's finger.
                  Commissioned and Warrant Officers, being gentlemen carry a stick under their arm to indicate faults in a soldiers dress or deportment during inspection.
                  Thus maintaining proper social etiquette and the dignity of both individuals.

(That and the Fact the Drill looks shit hot on parade. RSM Dunlea used to carry one on Parade when I went through Recruit Training in the old CTD S with Moses and Ben Hur. Always look Gildy as Fcuk)
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by smegers View Post
                    At least a pace stick is practical unlike a swagger stick.
                    I certainly wouldn't want to face a German machine gun without mine.
                    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                      I'm sure like anything issued, if you are deficient in a kit inspection, you'll probably have to be able to account for it, or else to stump up?
                      I was mor thinking about the build-up that it's been given, like having a battalion colours. As well as the cost, the number of beers/shorts that would have the be put behind the mess bar would probably bankrupt the individual!
                      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• In a world where we are being banjoed with duties and work and low pay the DF responds in 2020, with a global pandemic going with

Swagger Sticks for BSMs and for the rest of you

"I know lets get rid of the pockets off the shirts"

inspired stuff lads
                        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Both the Ceremonial Cane and newly designed uniform were in play long before the Pandemic so not a fair assessment.

Comment

• Canes have been in use in the Cadet School for many many decades.

Cane drill was on the syllabus.

Invariably, the canes were shorter by the end of each Class as they were just wooden dowels with a 9mm casing on each end and the dowels got broken easily

Comment

• Looks like the lopsided DPM shirt issue has been addressed. Pictures up on social media of Air Corps recruits wearing DPM shirts with UBAC pockets on BOTH sleeves.

And before someone says it.No.They were not UBACS. Recruits are not scaled for them and UBACS doesn't come with a tricolour stitched on.

Comment

• While that is an improvement why wouldn't they just put it on the blanking panel then it can be standard across multiple items of uniform.

Comment

Working...
                                X