No announcement yet.

Amendments to the Defence Act for Covid Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get 5 days annual leave extra on the strength of a letter requesting my attendance at a course of full time training.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Hey guys its very simple. If you sign up knowing that you will take a big hit financially if called out then family comes first and the choice is very simple.

Don't sign up in the first place or suck it up in the second. If you pray for rain you can't complain about the mud.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

IMO is certainly not quite today. Salary protection and amendment to covid-19 emergency legislation has us in discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
          Hey guys its very simple. If you sign up knowing that you will take a big hit financially if called out then family comes first and the choice is very simple.

Don't sign up in the first place or suck it up in the second. If you pray for rain you can't complain about the mud.
          Couldn't agree more.

I still think it's an interesting discussion though!

Comment

Well, at the moment I’d have thought that everyone is the Reserves is either:

1. In an essential occupation and therefore should be exempt from call-up as a “reserved” occupation (no pun intended) and already doing a vital job

Or

2. Sitting at home scratching their bollix (or whatever) and looking at Netflix, therefore available for mobilisation at little inconvenience to either themselves or their employer.

Is that a reasonable summary?
            Last edited by Flamingo; 27 March 2020, 21:17.
            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Indeed. However they would need to execute said mobilisation.
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Not the same story here. Many are at home, working from home. Business has not shut down here in the same way it has in the UK. Only non essential retail has closed.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Well everything I just said went out the window as of midnight.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

1st line Reserve, most likely called up first (pardon the pun). Anyone who left the PDF since 2014/5 is on that list. I dont know the number but it is most likely over a thousand, so similar number to current RDF effective strength or maybe we will all get the call if it goes as bad as Italy or Spain. Stay in and stay safe until the phone rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                      Well, at the moment I’d have thought that everyone is the Reserves is either:

1. In an essential occupation and therefore should be exempt from call-up as a “reserved” occupation (no pun intended) and already doing a vital job

Or

2. Sitting at home scratching their bollix (or whatever) and looking at Netflix, therefore available for mobilisation at little inconvenience to either themselves or their employer.

Is that a reasonable summary?
                      Not at all. I'm stuck working from home but it's been 12 hour days and we're up the wall. Hundreds of thousands in same position across the country.

Many hundreds of thousands or more either unable to work or unfortunately out of work.
                      Last edited by Auldsod; 28 March 2020, 10:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                        Not at all. I'm stuck working from home but it's been 12 hours and we're up the wall. Hundreds of thousands in same position across the country.

Many hundreds of thousands or more either unable to work or unfortunately out of work.
                        I was just thinking about members of the AR, not the country as a whole. There are people who it will be counter-productive to call up, but I’d imagine there are lots of members of the reserve available, even if just for short-term usage.

At this stage, even people who have been self-isolating from the start waiting for a test will be coming to the end of that if they haven’t developed symptoms.
                        Last edited by Flamingo; 27 March 2020, 23:38.
                        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Many people keep telling me the 1st Line Reserve is a thing. I have never once seen it mobilised or used or paraded. Asking PDF do you actually get transferred to it because I thought that all went by the wayside years ago ,
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

It still exists, in that each PDF have a reserve obligation. How it can be enforced I don't know unless the DF has been maintaining up to date contact information on its former members
                            Last edited by Bravo20; 28 March 2020, 15:04.

Comment

Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
                              1st line Reserve, most likely called up first (pardon the pun). Anyone who left the PDF since 2014/5 is on that list. I dont know the number but it is most likely over a thousand, so similar number to current RDF effective strength or maybe we will all get the call if it goes as bad as Italy or Spain. Stay in and stay safe until the phone rings.
                              Numbers are much smaller that that. The only people that have a FLR obligation are those who left with less than 12 years service. You can buy your way out of the FLR for €12.70.

If someone left after 5 years they owe 7 on the FLR. After 9 years service they owe 3years on the FLR

The numbers in the Bdes are around a Pl each is all.

None have kit or equipment. None have any desire to be there ... thats why they left in the first place.

Try mobilising them ... be more effort than it is worth.
                              Last edited by Fantasia; 28 March 2020, 16:08.

Comment

As of 31st July 2019, the substantive strength of the First Line Reserve is 296 personnel; the effective strength of the Army Reserve is 1549 personnel and that of the Naval Service Reserve is 141 personnel.

Defence Forces Reserve Strength Dáil Éireann Debate, Friday - 6 September 2019

They have to apply to join the FLR and get a grat for filling in the form annually

How does that compare to the huge numbers who have left in the last 5 years

Comment

Working...
                                X