This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landmines

Guys I have a question, a friend of one of my housemate's works for Halo, a demining charity and was down here over the weekend and we got to talking.

Basically he hates landmines of all sorts and asked did we ever use em in Ireland to which I replied No, well I'm pretty sure we haven't!

So my question have we ever used landmines or their far more PC name nowadays area denial weapons.
    I have a vague memory of seeing a picture in Ft Davis of a claymore-esque device on a tripod and I believe it was the engineers (PDF side) that had it.

Anyhelp would be appreciated.
    Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Define "used".
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    Originally posted by hedgehog
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
      Guys I have a question, a friend of one of my housemate's works for Halo, a demining charity and was down here over the weekend and we got to talking.

Basically he hates landmines of all sorts and asked did we ever use em in Ireland to which I replied No, well I'm pretty sure we haven't!

So my question have we ever used landmines or their far more PC name nowadays area denial weapons.
      I have a vague memory of seeing a picture in Ft Davis of a claymore-esque device on a tripod and I believe it was the engineers (PDF side) that had it.

This right?
      I'm not sure if landmines have been used operationally, but the army does have a quantity of AP and AT mines in storage.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post

My understanding is that we do have command detonated mines, claymore type (but not actual Claymores). They are not classed as Mines by the DF so we can claim to have no mines. Being command detonated, they are skirting the edge of what a mine is and isn't.

Basically,
        The Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of Anti-Personnel Mines and on their Destruction (or Ottawa Treaty), which Ireland is a signatory to, bans us from having or using mines. However the Claymore, in its command detonation mode, is not classed as a mine under the treaty. It is a mine when set up with a trip wire.

So, it is likely that the Claymore type device the DF use works only in command detonation mode and therefore is not classed as a mine under the treaty.

AT Mines are not covered under the Treaty as they cannot, normally, be detonated by the average human.
        Last edited by Docman; 21 September 2008, 00:18.

Comment

Only anti personal mines are covered by the Ottawa treaty, and even then we are allowed to keep some for training purposes. A claymore is a mine its a directional fragmentation mine, and yes we do have mines.

Comment

So basically, we have some of the "nasty" type that lie dormant for years and blow off an innocent person's leg........but only so we can train people to find and defuse said items. We don't go laying minefields around the place.

Comment

Pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                So basically, we have some of the "nasty" type that lie dormant for years and blow off an innocent person's leg........but only so we can train people to find and defuse said items. We don't go laying minefields around the place.
                Originally posted by smegers View Post
                Pretty much.

WRONG. They won't lie dormant for years because they would not be used in such a manner..

And I'm not going into how the DF would employ them as its OPSEC.

Comment

I wasn't stating that that if we were to lay a minefield we would just leave them there, I was just saying that we have a small number of AP mines expressly for training.

Comment

It is Government policy for the DF not to deploy AP mines that are activated by the vicitim and has been for a good while (thats in the public domain).

I very much doubt the DF has every deployed them operationally.

Comment

In the church in McKee there is a memorial to a number of soldiers who were killed in an anti tank mine accident in the thirties or forties as i recall
                      Religion is like a puddle thinking that the hole in the ground that it sits in is so perfect for it that some higher being must have created it

Comment

Originally posted by Commando69 View Post
                        In the church in McKee there is a memorial to a number of soldiers who were killed in an anti tank mine accident in the thirties or forties as i recall

The incident you are referring to happened in the Glen of Imaal, in 1941.

When a section being taught how to deploy anti-tank mines, and were gathered around the

instructor and device when it prematurely exploded killing 16

May they + Rest In Peace +

injuring more of whom 4 were blinded.

There is now a monument erected in the Glen to this incident.

At no time has the I.D.F deployed landmines on / along the border or around installations.

The same goes for Irish troops in U.N.I.F.I.L.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                          The incident you are referring to happened in the Glen of Imaal, in 1941.

When a section being taught how to deploy anti-tank mines, and were gathered around the

instructor and device when it prematurely exploded killing 16

May they + Rest In Peace +

injuring more of whom 4 were blinded.

There is now a monument erected in the Glen to this incident.

Connaught Stranger.

Irish war memorials offers a listing of war memorial including Glen Imaal Memorial in Glen of Imaal, Wicklow

Comment

Cool lads cheers for the info.
                            Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Originally posted by smegers View Post

This right?
                              I'm not sure if landmines have been used operationally, but the army does have a quantity of AP and AT mines in storage.
                              Swedish FFV 013 ADM?....didn't they develope that for use against helicopters orginally?
                              Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Working...
                              X